PDA

View Full Version : Day 6 of wearing upper denture.

ilovecosmos
01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
I am on day 6 with an upper denture. I didn't expect all the emotional feelings of losing one's teeth. It's been hard and I've had a couple weepy days.
I went to my dentist today and he adjusted them and it feels SO much better! I now have some hope it won't feel awful forever.
If anyone would like to share their denture dramas, I'd like to read 'em.

humarock
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I am on Day 8 as well with my full uppers and until yesterday, I too was doing the emotional rollercoaster! Weepy, trying to eat, frustration....BUT went to the dentist yesterday, he made a few adjustments and 30 min. later I was iin my car singing my brains out and feeling SOOOO much more confident and comfortable! THAT is the key, CALL THE DENTIST if you are not comfortable, thank GOD I have the most wonderful of dentist in MA! I LOVE my smile, I can talk MUCH better,he sanded down a lip on the side and the back of the plate and viola! It feels so natural today and I'm not sucking in to keep them in the 'right place' nor making those 'weird faces' LOL....and I'm going SHOPPING for some retail therapy! LOL...I work in a call center so on the phone all day every moment for 10 hours a day...and I was soooo afraid to go back on Friday, but now, no prob!
Another KEY to it all is KEEP THEM IN! Only take them out to rinse them and clean them....KEEPING them in helps the gums to 'mold' to the fixture!
Another thing I learned, which is TOTALLY SCARY is, after researching on adhesives, I found there is a LAWSUIT out on Fixodent and Polygrip as they contain ZINC!!!! People are coming down with Neuropathy and it is STILL ON THE MARKET? What is wrong with THAT pic.....after reading that I took BOTH products that I had bought ahead of time, BACK to Walgreens and they asked my why I was returning? "THEY HAVE ZINC IN THEM" And I asked them why the heck they where STILL on the market? they had NO ANSWER! So be VERY weary of those products and DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Be patient with yourself, get your adjustments! Your NOT ALONE! And eating won't happen overnight, but we will both get there! Congrats! And ENJOY your smile!

I am on day 6 with an upper denture. I didn't expect all the emotional feelings of losing one's teeth. It's been hard and I've had a couple weepy days.
I went to my dentist today and he adjusted them and it feels SO much better! I now have some hope it won't feel awful forever.

humarock
01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
So, to follow up, after the wonderful adjustments yesterday, my gums must be healing fast and shrinking cuz this morning and all day, the plate seemed slipping and odd, LOL...and I'm tired of sucking in air and then trying to get it to stick, I have two missing bottom back teeth, so during eating or if i put my teeth together, the plate kicks loose as it is unbalanced right now....so I went and got Seabond wafers, HOW amazing is it that that little piece of paper could make them feel snug again and no slippage! LOL..amazing the products they have. Let's see how long it lasts, you change them once a day, so let's see how dinner goes....on the FLIP side to it all, I did some 'retail therapy' today...and low and behold, i'm down to a size 4 in jeans....YEAH ME...(i just recently lost 42 lbs so this was more of a boost)...so THAT was exciting...LOL....I have been eating soft sandwhiches and pastas and protein shakes, okay some hot fudge sundaes too...LOL...BUT that was an added bonus...LOL...

I too am hoping that this will become 'normal' soon, love new things, and LOVE the look my new white beauties give me (i'll be 50 this year) but would like to not be so self concious about it....

Keep posting, would love to see how your doing and what 'tricks' you have found.

ilovecosmos
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I'm 58. No one around me wears dentures. It really helps to talk with someone who is going through this too.
My face is still bruised like I was in an accident! Although, the last 2 days I've began to see improvement.
I heard about the Zinc scare in the polygrip too. eeek! My dentures fit reeeeally tight. I don't use anything to hold them in so far. I have to pry them out. I thought they would loosen up after the swelling went down but they haven't yet. I've read that immediate dentures loosen around the 3 month mark and then you have to possibly get new ones.
But after my gums heal well, I'm getting implant dentures. It's expensive. Between the oral surgeon and dentist they've given me an estimate of around $33,000.

Glad to read you're doing well and you sound really up about yours. : )

Mari003
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Hi there,

I had a full upper and lower extraction done in June last year; I'm extremely abscess prone and allergic to almost every antibiotic on the market... (just my luck) after landing in hospital for two weeks with what I was told is called "Ludwigís angina" had the abscess sorted but due to the blood circulation being restricted to the area lost a large amount of bone. Hoping that that would be the end of it all I carried on as usual.

About two months down the line the news from the dentist was dooming, full extraction upper and lower, not being able to take stronger, more effective anti-biotics the infections had spread all over and I had 5 abscesses.

Iím an attractive 25 year old woman, so you can just imagine how this must have affected me emotionally. My self confidence was shattered, I worried that my amazing boyfriend would hate the fact that I have no teeth, and that people would say mean things and make mean jokes...

I was an emotional wreck for about 3 weeks after getting stuck with full dentures, until my boyfriend reminded me that wearing dentures doesn't change who I am. Even though the discomfort was annoying to say the least, regular adjustments over the next 2 months made it a bit easier.

After 6 months of wearing my dentures, I bravely decided to have my smile reconstructed with implants. I have had a sinus lift, bone grafts and now have all the implants in place, by October this year my million dollar smile will be back for the world to see.

So, if I can tell you one thing. Wearing dentures may be embarrassing and uncomfortable but it teaches you how to value yourself without being superficial. Instead of getting hung up on what you've lost, find something good out of the experience. And yes, it does get better with time, you adjust to the change.

Good luck, and hope you can make the best from a bad situation :)

humarock
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't know anyone either except my Mom, she has had both uppers and lowers since she was 19, she had peridontal disease and had them removed. She has no problems with hers. Mine feel a little loose right now, but I think i have been too hard...LOL...I used the Sea Bond and that works wonderfully, you have to cut them to fit, which stinks, but I will only use that for going to work, I am in a call center and talk for 10 hours a day...LOL...tomorrow is my 1st day back to work, THAT ought to be challenging...LOL...my tongue kills me, too much playing with the teeth and plate...LOL...I am going to the oral surgeon Tues and I want to talk to him about putting the posts in to lock them down and get rid of the back part of the plate. Is that what you where talking about the implant? your estimate is 33K? :eek:
I go to Jenny Craig and haven't been there in 3 weeks, holidays, etc kept me pretty busy, so I went today, and they all looked at me and said....you look beautiful what is different? I just smiled....LOL...My real teeth had two misshaped front teeth, one was a cap and the other bonded, and then two big spaces on either side, from the peridontal, and those two next to the front teeth where dropping down considerably. I looked at photos from my wedding 5 years ago and I had NO spacing then, it came on really quick...
I miss my teeth though I have to say....:( But I will get use to it.

I hear the bruising thing, my cheeks didn't bruise, but they turned like a yellowish color, but my nose was sooo sore and my sinus cavaties are sore still...my upper lip took a long time to get the feeling back in it...LOL...but do you notice muscles in your face and jaw start to hurt? It's like going to the gym and using muscles you haven't used in so long....LOL....

Yes, it is nice to talk to someone who is going through the same thing, because others don't understand the emotions we feel.

Well, I wish you a peaceful week.and look forward to hear how your doing...

ilovecosmos
01-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi there,

I had a full upper and lower extraction done in June last year; I'm extremely abscess prone and allergic to almost every antibiotic on the market... (just my luck) after landing in hospital for two weeks with what I was told is called "Ludwigís angina" had the abscess sorted but due to the blood circulation being restricted to the area lost a large amount of bone. Hoping that that would be the end of it all I carried on as usual.

About two months down the line the news from the dentist was dooming, full extraction upper and lower, not being able to take stronger, more effective anti-biotics the infections had spread all over and I had 5 abscesses.

Iím an attractive 25 year old woman, so you can just imagine how this must have affected me emotionally. My self confidence was shattered, I worried that my amazing boyfriend would hate the fact that I have no teeth, and that people would say mean things and make mean jokes...

I was an emotional wreck for about 3 weeks after getting stuck with full dentures, until my boyfriend reminded me that wearing dentures doesn't change who I am. Even though the discomfort was annoying to say the least, regular adjustments over the next 2 months made it a bit easier.

After 6 months of wearing my dentures, I bravely decided to have my smile reconstructed with implants. I have had a sinus lift, bone grafts and now have all the implants in place, by October this year my million dollar smile will be back for the world to see.

So, if I can tell you one thing. Wearing dentures may be embarrassing and uncomfortable but it teaches you how to value yourself without being superficial. Instead of getting hung up on what you've lost, find something good out of the experience. And yes, it does get better with time, you adjust to the change.

I lost my teeth because I was born with most of my secondary teeth missing. --A family curse on my father's side.-- I had mostly all crowns and bridges. The baby teeth under all this started to crack and break off. I had no choice but to remove it all and start over. If I were young, like you, I would have all mine replaced with implants too. But they quoted me a pricetag of $50,000+ plus! This was for the top only! I could think of SO many things to do with 50 grand at this age of 58.
So I'm going with "implant dentures" for around $30,000. The denture is supposed to be much less plastic covering the roof of the mouth. A horseshoe shape that snaps onto 6 to 8 implanted buds in the bones in the gums. It snaps in and does not move or shift in the mouth.
But like I said, if I were your age, I'd go for the total implants too! It'll be just like having your own teeth again! Happy for you! :D

humarock
01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi Mari,

My goodness, you have certainly been through a LOT....and I love your positivity~....and your so young as well. Keep that boyfriend of yours, he is a wonderful man! When you say you are having implants, is that a per tooth implant or the dentures implanted? It is amazing at how much shrinkage I have had in just 3 days now, the dentures can slip off on their own and I have to have an adhesive in, I will be calling my dentist asap....but did you experience this as well? I guess I'm thinking they should fit like those wonderful pair of tight jeans, but without adhesive, I can just lightly push them right out.....arg....I know it will take time to adjust. But I went back to work today, work in a call center, so it is back to back calls ALL day and I do a 10 hour shift, after the 1st hour, I ran in the bathroom stall and put in ANOTHER piece of adhesive, the 1st one was soaked and not holding...THEN another hour and I drove home to get a larger piece of seabond, then came back again and in 2 more hours, my jaw was so soar and my head felt like it would explode.....sound familiar at all? arg...on the rollercoaster!

Thanks for sharing your story with us :wink:

Hi there,

ilovecosmos
01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I replied back to your last thread but before I finished I got a phone call. When I came back I clicked send but it said I's been booted off the site and I lost the whole thing! :hissyfit:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Your dentist should be able to help you. Just a shame you have to wait til Monday.
I've read it's normal for most people's dentures to loosen. Maybe your dentist would make you new ones for free cause it seems he possibly made them too loose. Just a thought.
I still haven't even been out in public since Jan. 13 when I had my teeth removed. Face is still bruised. I have to return to work on Monday. Not looking forward to the gasps and questions.

Take care and hang in there!

humarock
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
OH NO! I HATE when that happens too, sometimes, I type stuff and I don't know WHAT on my laptop does it, but all of a sudden everything disappears...LOL...

I am doing MUCH better, it is SUCH a rollercoaster ride....went yesterday and got a clean bill of health from the oral surgeon and then to the dentist for more adjustments, they are too big right now, but he wants to wait to do the hard align, he gave me some suggestions, they aren't overly huge, but to keep myself comfortable, I was using seabond, it was good, but left my saliva goopy, so I tried Fixodent today, yes even after what I read online, I wanted to try a little of the food control one, my brother-in-law is using it on his uppers and loves it, he was right, it was really good, I actually ate lunch with no pain when I chewed on either side, so then I found Cushion Grip, and I'm getting ready to try that. Can't get the hard align until the 6th month, so now need to make due....won't go back to work until 2/5, thank goodness as that takes pressure off me....plus I don't like my job anyhow...LOL...talk about stress upon stress....
I'll let you know how the Cushion Grip works, reviews have been good, but it's all personal preferance too....looking for something that will last 10 hours and NOT collect food up in them....LOL

I'm sorry to hear your still bruised....ouch...I have been out and about but now with friends or out to eat, until today, my friend MADE me meet her for breakfast at this cool little resturant/muffin place, and it worked pretty good, and she was giggling at me as I was self concious and went well until I pulled out my mirror after I ate and we laughed soooo hard....LOL..vanity....

I hope your 1st day back to work goes really well....hopefully people will gasp at the beauty of your new teeth...and not ask....when I went into work for the short time, I had some that where looking at me like 'something is different but not sure and don't know how to ask"...LOL...

Have a great week and enjoy the rest of your time off!:wink:

I replied back to your last thread but before I finished I got a phone call. When I came back I clicked send but it said I's been booted off the site and I lost the whole thing! :hissyfit:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Your dentist should be able to help you. Just a shame you have to wait til Monday.
I've read it's normal for most people's dentures to loosen. Maybe your dentist would make you new ones for free cause it seems he possibly made them too loose. Just a thought.
I still haven't even been out in public since Jan. 13 when I had my teeth removed. Face is still bruised. I have to return to work on Monday. Not looking forward to the gasps and questions.

Take care and hang in there!

Bcisner
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM

I am getting my uppers removed tomorrow I am scared, I am 52 yrs old I have a 2 opinions this seems the best way ouit due to my bone is bad. :(:(

mrsD
01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Here is a helpful hint.

If you lose a post, because it is too long, or you took too much time to make it:

It is probably due to timing out. This forum logs you out after so many minutes. To avoid this, you click the little box next to your user name when you log on--- "remember me". Then you won't be bumped off and you won't lose your work.

humarock
01-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi Bcisner,
I'm thinking today you had them out and I hear the fear part, I was sooo deathly afraid, but have to say I have a very pleasant experience during the extractions, really good gas blend!

I wish you much success and a speedy recovery....keep reading the posts, it has helped me, that and research online....I'm on day 16 now and TRIED to go back to work, but that didn't go so well, so I'm out until 2/5 and everyday it is getting better and I'm getting use to the dentures....ain't easy, but be positive and when you get down, look at your smile in the mirror! THAT is what keeps me going! I took pics...LOL...of my smile and look at that when i start on the rollercoaster of emotions....post and let us know how your making out!

I am getting my uppers removed tomorrow I am scared, I am 52 yrs old I have a 2 opinions this seems the best way ouit due to my bone is bad. :(:(

Bryanna
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Bcisner,

Just wondering how you are doing?
Drop us a note when you can :)

Bryanna

Bcisner
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Thank you for the encouragement. Well I had it done I had one extraction that was difficult out of 11 , it took them about 30 min on 1 root ended up getting stitches. day one was pretty good alot better than I thought, they feel really strange they look great , I am pretty sore on the left side. I am going back in today for more re-adjustment per Dr. orders. I will keep all posted again thank you for the kind words

Bryanna
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey Bcisner!

Good to hear back from you!
Yes, the dentures are going to feel strange and there are many changes that are going to take place over the next few months. Having an optimistic attitude is going to help alot with the way you heal and the way you deal with the changes. Keep reflecting on how nice your smile is and this will help get you through the challenging days. It will all be ok.

Stop by and chat with us as I'm sure someone will be listening :)

Bryanna

Thank you for the encouragement. Well I had it done I had one extraction that was difficult out of 11 , it took them about 30 min on 1 root ended up getting stitches. day one was pretty good alot better than I thought, they feel really strange they look great , I am pretty sore on the left side. I am going back in today for more re-adjustment per Dr. orders. I will keep all posted again thank you for the kind words

humarock
01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
Hi Bcisner,

Sorry to hear your still sore, but it is important to go in for the adjustments. Isn't it soooo strange? I'm on week 3 and still adjusting. Went back to work for about 3 hours and had to leave again....been out for 3 weeks...that is a GOOD thing! LOL....

There is so much new stuff to learn, but most off, take your time to HEAL....rinse with the salt warm water, THAT really helped me, I would rinse a few times a day, then with the BLUE rinse...and rest! It doesn't seem like alot to others, but it IS, you have to heal, so take the time for you to heal and adjust.

And log on here, this place will help you learn and get through..:grouphug:..Bryanna is AWESOME!

I wish you loads of comfort!
K

humarock
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Bcisner,
How are you doing? Haven't seen any posts and hoping that you are doing well! Let us know how your making out....
K

Bcisner
02-05-2010, 12:57 AM
:) Well its day 6 man it's going great been in twice for adjustment need to go in tomorrow for an adjustment . eating is still tender , I still fell funny when i remove them , feels as though my face collapses but all in all i am quite happy with the new look great smile.

tigermolly
02-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I just found out I will need dentures. I have RA and used prednisone for many years which made my teeth soft. The teeth under my bridges are now cracked and need to come out. What type of dentures are there and what can I expect?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tigermolly

Bryanna
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi tigermolly,

Welcome to neurotalk!!

Prednisone is brutal on the teeth. Are you still taking it?

There aren't many options for dentures, unfortunately. The fit of a denture depends on three things.... One is your anatomy and how wide and thick your jawbone is as well as how much healthy gum tissue you have. Second is the dentist needs to be very experienced in making dentures so he is able to alternate the fit as best as possible according to your anatomy. Third the dental lab needs to be highly qualified in fabricating dentures.

Depending on the person..... dentures can be removable in which you would take them out to clean at least twice a day.... or they could be anchored in by dental implants in which the dentist usually is the one to take them out periodically to clean and adjust them.

The design of the denture is up to the dentist and dental lab but it should be esthetically correct for your anatomy and your facial structure. Some dentists are very selective in the color of the acrylic gum tissue (there are 3 gum colored shades available) and the size and shape of the teeth (there are many variations)...... other dentists not so much. Usually a prosthodontist is more particular in the fit and esthetics of a denture than a general dentist.

I hope that answers some of your questions...... please feel free to ask more!

Bryanna

Hi, I'm new here. I just found out I will need dentures. I have RA and used prednisone for many years which made my teeth soft. The teeth under my bridges are now cracked and need to come out. What type of dentures are there and what can I expect?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tigermolly

tigermolly
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Bryanna,
Thank you SO much for your reply. I am in the easy stages of discovery here and am trying to educate myself!

I stopped prednisone theray about 8 years ago, but damage done.

I don't have a prosthodontist, just a general dentist and many specialists for implant work (of which I have none), root canals, extractions, etc. Sounds like I need to add one more to the list. Do you have any referrals in Pasadena Califorina?

Sounds like an implant denure would give me the most stability. I will see if my mouth an tolerate it.

I do still have my two front teeth, the one next to it on the right, the next one missing, and then one more intact. Do you think there is any other option I should consider other than dentures? I'm afraid I might eventually lose those teeth as well due to the previous prednisone intake and that is why I think dentures might be the way to go at this time. I don't have dental insurance and will be using my life savings on a solution. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Your help is AMAZING. The emotional impact of this situation is overwhelming.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,
TigerMolly

ilovecosmos
02-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi there,

May I ask how much upper and lower implants is costing? They gave me an estimate of over $50,000. for the upper alone. I'm wondering if my dentist and oral surgeon is high or in line with others. Thank you for any info.

Bryanna
02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi tigermolly,

I am very glad that you are doing the research!! The best way to deal with all of this is to become well informed...:))

VERY glad you stopped the prednisone. Unfortunately, the deterioration from that medication is not reversible. But, you can move on from here, right??

My best reference to people is the IAOMT organization. Although I do not personally know of someone in your area, I know that the people who join this international group of professionals are trained beyond the conventional scope of dentistry which allows them to have a broader view of the treatment options available to their patients. They are also very concerned about the toxicities associated with many dental procedures and do all they can to reduce or eliminate those issues.

Their website is www.iaomt.org

Great to have you hear! Let us know what you discover along the way and always feel free to ask questions :-))

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna,
Thank you SO much for your reply. I am in the easy stages of discovery here and am trying to educate myself!

I stopped prednisone theray about 8 years ago, but damage done.

I don't have a prosthodontist, just a general dentist and many specialists for implant work (of which I have none), root canals, extractions, etc. Sounds like I need to add one more to the list. Do you have any referrals in Pasadena Califorina?

Sounds like an implant denure would give me the most stability. I will see if my mouth an tolerate it.

I do still have my two front teeth, the one next to it on the right, the next one missing, and then one more intact. Do you think there is any other option I should consider other than dentures? I'm afraid I might eventually lose those teeth as well due to the previous prednisone intake and that is why I think dentures might be the way to go at this time. I don't have dental insurance and will be using my life savings on a solution. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Your help is AMAZING. The emotional impact of this situation is overwhelming.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,
TigerMolly

Bryanna
02-07-2010, 12:18 PM
The cost of dental implants varies from one dental office to another and from one geographical area to another. The reasons for this are because there are ...... different systems used to place implants, different dental labs, different techniques.... etc.

Single dental implants to replace one tooth are one fee. Multiple dental implants to replace an entire arch of teeth are a different fee. There is no regulated fee schedule for any of this. Insurance companies usually put a cap on what they will pay according to an independent study done that averages the cost per geographical area.

A fee of $50,000 for multiple implants to replace the full upper and full lower arch is not unusual. Did your dentists fee include both dentures as well?

Bryanna

May I ask how much upper and lower implants is costing? They gave me an estimate of over $50,000. for the upper alone. I'm wondering if my dentist and oral surgeon is high or in line with others. Thank you for any info.

Bcisner
02-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Just wondering which is the best denture adhesive to use i hear most have zinc not sure which yo use. day 8 is going well. still i have bad moments thinking about my teeth. I had a canine on the upper right side the bone left from it is still tender.Well i will keep all posted. This site is a blessing for me thank you all for all your encouragement.

Bryanna
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Bcisner,

Many patients seem to like the Secure dental adhesive and it does not contain zinc. Have you tried that one yet?

The canine teeth are the cornerstones of the mouth. The jawbone protrudes in those areas and sometimes it can be sore for quite some time. However, it is important to have your denture adjusted by your dentist as often as you need to during the healing phase because you don't want to develop any ulcerations.

Are you going in for adjustments?

Bryanna

Just wondering which is the best denture adhesive to use i hear most have zinc not sure which yo use. day 8 is going well. still i have bad moments thinking about my teeth. I had a canine on the upper right side the bone left from it is still tender.Well i will keep all posted. This site is a blessing for me thank you all for all your encouragement.

ilovecosmos
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
The cost of dental implants varies from one dental office to another and from one geographical area to another. The reasons for this are because there are ...... different systems used to place implants, different dental labs, different techniques.... etc.

Single dental implants to replace one tooth are one fee. Multiple dental implants to replace an entire arch of teeth are a different fee. There is no regulated fee schedule for any of this. Insurance companies usually put a cap on what they will pay according to an independent study done that averages the cost per geographical area.

A fee of $50,000 for multiple implants to replace the full upper and full lower arch is not unusual. Did your dentists fee include both dentures as well?

Bryanna

$50,000. (maybe low 50's) was for full implants on the TOP ONLY with a denture to wear while healing. You thought I meant 50G for both upper and lower. THat would not scare me. But I'm wondering if they are high or low with the price of 50G for UPPER ONLY? ---thanks

Bryanna
02-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi ilovecosmos,

When I said 50,000 for both upper and lower...... I was referring to just the implants, not the dentures. That's why I asked if your dentist quoted you 50,000 for the implants and the dentures.......which if he did that would have been less than the usual fee.

So 50,000 for one arch of dental implants and one full implant retained denture is in the ballpark of the average going rate.

Incredibly expensive, I know. I can tell you that the dental lab costs are in the many thousands of dollars for these type cases and anything that has to be redone or touched up is another lab bill for the dentist which is not passed onto the patient. But still, the thought of 50,000 for a set of teeth is mind boggling!

Bryanna

$50,000. (maybe low 50's) was for full implants on the TOP ONLY with a denture to wear while healing. You thought I meant 50G for both upper and lower. THat would not scare me. But I'm wondering if they are high or low with the price of 50G for UPPER ONLY? ---thanks

humarock
02-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Howdy Bcisner,

I have posted my findings on the dental adhesives, I tried all of them so far on the market and found Secure Dental Adhesive to be the BEST, you get it on line, it is 6.97 per tube, but buy three and shipping is free....there is NO ZINC and it is not that goopy oozy stuff and it is easy easy easy to use, I have been using it for 3 weeks now and as I started all this 1/12, it has helped as my uppers are too big at this point and I'll have to really wait for the Hard Alignment to get them right, I'm bypassing the soft align as this stuff can get me through! Easy clean up, be sure to get a denture brush for your dentures. I had my brother in law, who was using fixodent, and he fell in love with it too! Shipping is fast too, which is GREAT!

Hope this helps and be sure to check out my posting on the others as well to help you make your choice. I'm hoping it saves time and money for everyone else...LOL!

have a great smiley day!
k:wink:

ilovecosmos
02-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Hi ilovecosmos,

When I said 50,000 for both upper and lower...... I was referring to just the implants, not the dentures. That's why I asked if your dentist quoted you 50,000 for the implants and the dentures.......which if he did that would have been less than the usual fee.

So 50,000 for one arch of dental implants and one full implant retained denture is in the ballpark of the average going rate.

Incredibly expensive, I know. I can tell you that the dental lab costs are in the many thousands of dollars for these type cases and anything that has to be redone or touched up is another lab bill for the dentist which is not passed onto the patient. But still, the thought of 50,000 for a set of teeth is mind boggling!

Bryanna

THanks for your info Bryanna.

humarock
02-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi Cosmos,

How are you making out? I checked into the implants too and at this point, too expensive for now....LOL....but really doing better....I was just looking at the bar implant for the dentures to get rid of the palate and was quoted about 5K for the two post clip on and about 10K for the bar implant (4 posts and bar to clip dentures onto)....I'm gonna wait for the hard align to see what it is like then, my gums have REALLY shrunk more then they thought and the dentures up on the top front are REALLY too big (the gum portion)..but working it with adhesive for now.

Hope your doing well and having a great day,
K

ilovecosmos
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Cosmos,

How are you making out? I checked into the implants too and at this point, too expensive for now....LOL....but really doing better....I was just looking at the bar implant for the dentures to get rid of the palate and was quoted about 5K for the two post clip on and about 10K for the bar implant (4 posts and bar to clip dentures onto)....I'm gonna wait for the hard align to see what it is like then, my gums have REALLY shrunk more then they thought and the dentures up on the top front are REALLY too big (the gum portion)..but working it with adhesive for now.

Hope your doing well and having a great day,
K

It's terribly expensive, isn't it.?.. I read your trials about all the different adhesives. Thanks so much for that! I'm sure that will help a ton of people on here. Very nice of you to give us that. :)
I'm doing much better, thanks for asking. I go back to the oral surgeon on March 11 to see if I'm ready for the implants. Saw my dentist 2 days ago and he said it had healed nicely. My dentures have loosened, but not too badly. I'm anxious to get the next hurdle accomplished.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I'll be keeping up with you.

Helen

humarock
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I had gone to the dentist week before last and he stated he was amazed at how much shrinkage has already passed. My dentures are HUGE....LOL...therego the need for the adhesive. He did adjustments, but it is the front of the plate the ridges are just to wide....so they are discussing doing the hard align earlier than usual. I lost a bit of bone on my left side, but all else seems to be great.....your welcome, the adhesive trials where kinda fun to try. I love the secure adhesive and sometimes use the seabond wafers when I know I'm going to the dentist or at night, but it is hard to eat with as they 'scrape' upon some soft tissue and hurt, the adhesive pads it for me....but it is all good.....glad to hear your almost ready for the implants, one day I might be able to afford them...LOL....I wish you the best! I'll look in on your postings as well. Thanks for the update...

Smile!
K

It's terribly expensive, isn't it.?.. I read your trials about all the different adhesives. Thanks so much for that! I'm sure that will help a ton of people on here. Very nice of you to give us that. :)
I'm doing much better, thanks for asking. I go back to the oral surgeon on March 11 to see if I'm ready for the implants. Saw my dentist 2 days ago and he said it had healed nicely. My dentures have loosened, but not too badly. I'm anxious to get the next hurdle accomplished.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I'll be keeping up with you.

Helen

prairiegrl
03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I am in day 3 of my upper dentures and I positively HATE them. I am going back today to the denturist to see what he can do. Perhaps it is because my gums are still healing ? I cannot even eat pasta, the plate sort of slurps back to the top of the gums and hurts like the devil (particularly where the "big teeth" were ---there's a big "thingy" of skin left there and once the denture is in, I cannot even suck on a straw without pain. I gag when they move, cannot speak clearly and am dizzy from the lack of food (It has been three weeks today that the teeth were removed ---I've eaten nothing but porridge, and other slop---high salt soups etc.) This is the pits !:mad: Your post has at least give me a glimmer of hope !!

Bryanna
03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi prairiegirl,

I assume that you had your teeth extracted and wore nothing until 3 days ago? If so, may I ask what the reason was for not wearing a denture immediately after the extractions?

Bryanna

I am in day 3 of my upper dentures and I positively HATE them. I am going back today to the denturist to see what he can do. Perhaps it is because my gums are still healing ? I cannot even eat pasta, the plate sort of slurps back to the top of the gums and hurts like the devil (particularly where the "big teeth" were ---there's a big "thingy" of skin left there and once the denture is in, I cannot even suck on a straw without pain. I gag when they move, cannot speak clearly and am dizzy from the lack of food (It has been three weeks today that the teeth were removed ---I've eaten nothing but porridge, and other slop---high salt soups etc.) This is the pits !:mad: Your post has at least give me a glimmer of hope !!

prairiegrl
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi prairiegirl,

I assume that you had your teeth extracted and wore nothing until 3 days ago? If so, may I ask what the reason was for not wearing a denture immediately after the extractions?

Bryanna

That is the way it was set up with my dentist and the denturist. Mine are "custom" ---an impression was taken of my "old" teeth and the plate made from that. I do have to say that they look very good/realistic/like me. The idea was to heal for two weeks or more rather than "instant" same day dentures.

I went today to see the denturist and he did fix the denture a lot ---much more comfy to wear but I still cannot eat anything more than mush. I guess that will come in time??? I was quoted $15 K for a 4 implant setup and plate in the fall should I wish to do that. He said I would love that --no gagging etc. But also said there is no guarantee with implants --I have to wait until the fall (6 months) until the gums are shrunk etc. so I have time to think about that. It's amazing they can charge that kind of $$ and not offer any kind of guarantee. Even my endodontist gave me back 1/2 of my $$ from my failed root canals !! I guess I just have to be patient (not one of my great strengths according to my husband !! LOL

Bryanna
03-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi prairiegirl,

That's great that you like your smile and feel that your denture looks..."like you".... :-))

Actually all dentures are custom made from impressions that are taken of the patients mouth before the extractions are done. Very often, the dentures are ready ahead of time so the patient can wear them immediately after the extractions. For whatever reason, your dentist chose to wait and that's fine too! Either way, it is important to keep seeing the denturist for adjustments as your mouth heals from the surgery. You will probably be eating a soft diet for several more weeks and that too is normal.

The fee that you were quoted for the implants and implant retained denture sounds like it's in the ballpark. It is important to wait the 6 months for the jawbone to heal a bit before putting in the implants. Then there is another waiting period of about 3-6 months for the implants to integrate with the jawbone before making the implant denture. First things first... see how you do with this denture and then decide if you need to do the implants.

Although there are relatively few dental implants that fail when considering the many thousands that are done every day..... there is still no guarantee that the implants will be successful because they can fail at anytime for a variety of reasons unrelated to the actual implant surgery. I am surprised that the endodontist returned half of your money for your root canals! I would guess that he didn't have much hope for the teeth he root canaled in the first place. But still, that's good that you received the refund!

Hang in there..... every day will get better and new challenges will surface but you will do ok in the long run ;-))

Bryanna

That is the way it was set up with my dentist and the denturist. Mine are "custom" ---an impression was taken of my "old" teeth and the plate made from that. I do have to say that they look very good/realistic/like me. The idea was to heal for two weeks or more rather than "instant" same day dentures.

I went today to see the denturist and he did fix the denture a lot ---much more comfy to wear but I still cannot eat anything more than mush. I guess that will come in time??? I was quoted $15 K for a 4 implant setup and plate in the fall should I wish to do that. He said I would love that --no gagging etc. But also said there is no guarantee with implants --I have to wait until the fall (6 months) until the gums are shrunk etc. so I have time to think about that. It's amazing they can charge that kind of $$ and not offer any kind of guarantee. Even my endodontist gave me back 1/2 of my $$ from my failed root canals !! I guess I just have to be patient (not one of my great strengths according to my husband !! LOL

nide44
03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I went to http://www.securedenture.com/
and it was free shipping for 3 tubes,
but its now $7.97 each.
I have been thinking of trying this adhesive out.
I have been wearing partial upper & lower dentures for about a year.They have had 4 teeth added to them 2 times after the initial set was made.
They have no metal in them and are a bit flexible and mold to my mouth after I put them in in the a.m. They are a bit tight when I first put them in, but feel comfortable after a few minutes when they warm to body temp. It helps to rinse them in warm water after soaking & brushing them.
My biggest complaint is that food always gets trapped in them when eating. It is terribly irritating to have food particles under my partials. Sometimes they try to slip out if I eat something sticky or doughy.
I haven't been using a denture cream.... since I bought a tube of Fixodent & tried it for about a week.
I hate the glop on my gums & palette, and difficulty cleaning them off
(I do use a denture brush and a Polident 5 min soak in hot water).

I don't want to have to carry a tube of denture bond with me all the time when I go to restaurants (frequently). Its bad enough that I have to excuse myself after a meal and go to the men's room to rinse them, but having to re-apply a bonding cream in a public restroom is not what I prefer to do.
Its cumbersome and embarrassing !
Will this 'Secure' help keep the food from getting trapped under the dentures?
Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Bryanna
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Denture creams are used to keep a partial or denture in place. They take up extra room in the appliance so it fits more snug.

If your partials are tight, then there would be no room for the cream and it could cause them to not fit properly.

Getting food stuck underneath the partial denture is a a frequent complaint from patients. It's the design of the appliance itself that is somewhat flawed. But there is only so much that can be done to alter the design of it.

Perhaps someone else will stop by here and have a solution for you!

Bryanna

http://www.securedenture.com/
but its now $7.97 each.
I have been wearing partial upper & lower dentures for about a year.They have had 4 teeth added to them 2 times after the initial set was made.
They have no metal in them and are a bit flexible and mold to my mouth after I put them in in the a.m. They are a bit tight when I first put them in, but feel comfortable after a few minutes when they warm to body temp. It helps to rinse them in warm water after soaking & brushing them.
My biggest complaint is that food always gets trapped in them when eating. It is terribly irritating to have food particles under my partials. Sometimes they try to slip out if I eat something sticky or doughy.
I haven't been using a denture cream.... since I bought a tube of Fixodent & tried it for about a week.

I don't want to have to carry a tube of denture bond with me all the time when I go to restaurants (frequently). Its bad enough that I have to excuse myself after a meal and go to the men's room to rinse them, but having to re-apply a bonding cream in a public restroom is not what I prefer to do.
Can anyone give me a recommendation?[/QUOTE]

ilovecosmos
03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I went to http://www.securedenture.com/
but its now $7.97 each.

Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Hi Bob.
Right now I am wearing a full upper denture. The roof of my mouth is covered. I'm waiting for healing and will soon get implants to hold an arch of teeth in. I have used "Secure" denture adhesive. It really hold them TIGHT ! Nothing gets under them but I have the kind where the roof of my mouth is covered. You don't have to use very much of it to get a tight hold. It does leave residue on your gums and the dentures. Kind of like stretchy glue. I started with too much and worked my way down to using very little. So you would want to start out using little and working your way up to more.
If you can afford it, the way to go is denture implants. (not the same as Mini-Implants) With these there is no need for adhesive. They snap in. I canNOT wait to get mine!
Hope this helps.

Mari003
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi all.

This is the x-ray of my upper implants, unfortunate for me my body rejected one and I will have to wait to have it replaced... To give you an idea I've done 10 upper implants so far incl. hospitalisation the bill is about ZAR 300 000. They will be crowned and bridged (porcelain) not a permanent denture. Does medical aids pay for this in other countries? Cause in South Africa they don,t...

Bryanna
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Mari,

Welcome to Neuro talk!
Thanks so much for posting the panoramic xray of your dental implants! This will give many people an idea of what multiple implants look like in the jawbone.

Depending on where the failed implant was, you may not need to have it replaced since you are having permanent bridgework done. If it was in a location that is crucial to the integrity of the bridgework then it would need to be replaced. But if it's not, then you could probably do without it. Did your dentist discuss that issue with you? If not, then perhaps you could bring it up to him and see what he says.

In the US.... a case involving extractions, 10 implants and permanent bridgework would be in the price range of about $50,000, more or less depending on the type of oral surgery needs per the individual. Most medical insurance policies do not cover this sort of thing. Some dental insurance policies may cover a very small part but that's it.

May I ask...... what is the dental plan to replace the missing teeth on your lower arch?

Again, welcome!

Bryanna

Hi all.

This is the x-ray of my upper implants, unfortunate for me my body rejected one and I will have to wait to have it replaced... To give you an idea I've done 10 upper implants so far incl. hospitalisation the bill is about ZAR 300 000. They will be crowned and bridged (porcelain) not a permanent denture. Does medical aids pay for this in other countries? Cause in South Africa they don,t...

Mari003
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Mari,

Welcome to Neuro talk!
Thanks so much for posting the panoramic xray of your dental implants! This will give many people an idea of what multiple implants look like in the jawbone.

Depending on where the failed implant was, you may not need to have it replaced since you are having permanent bridgework done. If it was in a location that is crucial to the integrity of the bridgework then it would need to be replaced. But if it's not, then you could probably do without it. Did your dentist discuss that issue with you? If not, then perhaps you could bring it up to him and see what he says.

In the US.... a case involving extractions, 10 implants and permanent bridgework would be in the price range of about $50,000, more or less depending on the type of oral surgery needs per the individual. Most medical insurance policies do not cover this sort of thing. Some dental insurance policies may cover a very small part but that's it.

May I ask...... what is the dental plan to replace the missing teeth on your lower arch?

Again, welcome!

Bryanna

The implant is unfortunately integral and the discussion is to leave the bone to heal and then a replacement will be planted next to the first site. The lower arch will be reconstructed similarly once they have finished with the upper. Once the final implant has integrated into the bone they will then do the exposures and start with the crowns.

I have had bone grafts and a sinus lift done on the upper. And a reasonably large graft on the lower.

Iím still wearing dentures but they have been fitted perfectly and my prosthodontist is more than helpful to adjust when needed.

I have to say that the medical treatment and follow-up of the surgeon and prosthodontist have been amazing.

Bryanna
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Mari,

Wow, you have had alot of dental work done! It's wonderful to hear that you are having a positive experience and feel so comfortable with the dentists taking care of you!!

Please stay in touch with us...... sharing your experience here can be so enlightening to others!

Bryanna

The implant is unfortunately integral and the discussion is to leave the bone to heal and then a replacement will be planted next to the first site. The lower arch will be reconstructed similarly once they have finished with the upper. Once the final implant has integrated into the bone they will then do the exposures and start with the crowns.

I have had bone grafts and a sinus lift done on the upper. And a reasonably large graft on the lower.

Iím still wearing dentures but they have been fitted perfectly and my prosthodontist is more than helpful to adjust when needed.

I have to say that the medical treatment and follow-up of the surgeon and prosthodontist have been amazing.

debbie54
04-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi Bob.
Right now I am wearing a full upper denture. The roof of my mouth is covered. I'm waiting for healing and will soon get implants to hold an arch of teeth in. I have used "Secure" denture adhesive. It really hold them TIGHT ! Nothing gets under them but I have the kind where the roof of my mouth is covered. You don't have to use very much of it to get a tight hold. It does leave residue on your gums and the dentures. Kind of like stretchy glue. I started with too much and worked my way down to using very little. So you would want to start out using little and working your way up to more.
If you can afford it, the way to go is denture implants. (not the same as Mini-Implants) With these there is no need for adhesive. They snap in. I canNOT wait to get mine!
Hope this helps.
WORKS WONDERS FOR ME. IM ON MY 4th tube. I just ordered 5 more. You wont be dissopointed

lorelei739
06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi all - just found this site and related to all the issues that everyone is having!:grouphug: I've had my upper/lower dentures for just over a year and haven't left my house since! I feel so uncomfortable and embarassed by them (I am a 55 y/o female) and I'm feeling it is the worse decision I have made in my life. I am contemplating getting implants in spite of the cost.

I, unfortunately, went the cheap route and went to one of those 'dental factories' and the dentist and staff were just so rude - I refuse to go back for help - (I know my own fault) - but they are making me feel that I am crazy. Every time I put the dentures in they (with adhesive) they feel so tight and cumbersome. I'm constantly clenching and bit my cheeks - I read somewhere in these threads about a different type of adhesive 'secure', I think it was, anybody explain why this is better than the poligrip or fixodent? I've tried one by Werner's - which was extremely expensive and doesn't hold any better - like most the bottom only stays down for a couple hours at a time. I'm tired of eating soft food and not going out in public and speaking because no one understands me.

Thanks for letting me vent - has anyone (ilovecosmos???) gone from total dentures to implants? I'm real curious on how the feel is since I feel like I'm gagging and want to vomit all the time.. Shared experiences, welcomed and appreciated :wink:

ilovecosmos
07-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi all - just found this site and related to all the issues that everyone is having!:grouphug: I've had my upper/lower dentures for just over a year and haven't left my house since! I feel so uncomfortable and embarassed by them (I am a 55 y/o female) and I'm feeling it is the worse decision I have made in my life. I am contemplating getting implants in spite of the cost.

I, unfortunately, went the cheap route and went to one of those 'dental factories' and the dentist and staff were just so rude - I refuse to go back for help - (I know my own fault) - but they are making me feel that I am crazy. Every time I put the dentures in they (with adhesive) they feel so tight and cumbersome. I'm constantly clenching and bit my cheeks - I read somewhere in these threads about a different type of adhesive 'secure', I think it was, anybody explain why this is better than the poligrip or fixodent? I've tried one by Werner's - which was extremely expensive and doesn't hold any better - like most the bottom only stays down for a couple hours at a time. I'm tired of eating soft food and not going out in public and speaking because no one understands me.

Thanks for letting me vent - has anyone (ilovecosmos???) gone from total dentures to implants? I'm real curious on how the feel is since I feel like I'm gagging and want to vomit all the time.. Shared experiences, welcomed and appreciated :wink:

Hi Lorelei,

I haven't been on here for a few months. I'm really sorry your dentures aren't fitting right. You can't let this go on! You must seek help about getting them right! Don't let this ruin your life! Ask around and find a good dentist in your area. Or make yourself go back to where you got your dentures and they should fix and adjust them so you're comfortable. Take someone with you for moral support. Remember, you are the customer! Don't let them push you around!
I go back to my dentist many times and he adjust them for me for free. It's all in with the initial cost.

The Secure dental cream is the best. It's around $6 a tube on the internet.
It holds them perfectly tight and there is NO TASTE to it. Start out with a small amount and work your way up to what feels good to you. I made the mistake of using too much the first time and I didn't think I was going to get them out! Hence the name "secure". I tried all the others and in my opinion Secure is the best.

I am in the process of getting an upper fixed implant denture. I had all my upper teeth pulled in January 2010. I've been wearing an upper denture since then. I don't like it covering the roof of my mouth. I know what you mean about the gagging.
A week ago, June 29, 2010, I had 6 implants, a bone graph and a sinus lift done. This is not for sissies! lol. Thank you God for Vicodin.
I will still wear my upper denture until all this heals and the bone graphs take.
It will probably be around Christmas when I get the arch of teeth that will fit onto the implants. It's cheaper than getting my teeth replaced with all implants. They gave me an estimate of around $55,000. for that. What I'm having done is not cheap --$33,000.+ But I just couldn't spend 55 grand at my age. I'm almost 59.
Anyway, this implant denture I'm having done will snap on to the implants in my upper gums. So no denture adhesive is needed! hoo raay! And it will be a narrow arch of teeth. No more covering the roof of my mouth! Double HOO RAAY !! I will only take it out at night to clean everything. They say I will be able to eat anything I want.

I hope you'll go back to the place that made your dentures or find a dentist that will help you. It'll be worth the trouble. Good luck!

ilovecosmos
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
WORKS WONDERS FOR ME. IM ON MY 4th tube. I just ordered 5 more. You wont be dissopointed

I love that stuff! and it doesn't contain ZINC and is tasteless!

Christina54
10-01-2012, 06:14 AM

I feel so sorry for my self right now. I have just had the moulds taken for upper dentures which will be placed in my mouth next Monday. I was told that I will find it very difficult at first, if only the dentist knew just how difficult I am expecting it to be. How much time off can I legally take from work. I work in a school and it is necessary for me to have to speak quite a bit during the day. I am currently off work right now, as my top teeth are literally hanging and are very loose. Eating and speaking is difficult. I think I am just after some hits and tips to ease me through the coming weeks. I have been crying today, so I expect the full water works next Monday when my few remaining teeth are extracted.

Bryanna
10-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Christina,

Every patient has a different experience when they have their teeth removed and wear their first denture. Some people have various problems, others have little. A good example is....... My 85 yr old mother just had her remaining upper teeth removed and an immediate denture put in 2 weeks ago. She was very anxious, she had herself in an emotional tither and was expecting to feel horrible.... but guess what??? She is doing great! Yes, there is some pain and soreness... yes her denture has had to be adjusted 4 times. But she tells me she feels great... she has a beautiful smile now and is eating all of the foods that she prepared ahead of time. I think it was her preparedness that helped to make her experience 100% better than she anticipated.

I suggest to all my patients who are planning to have this dental work done to prepare a soft food diet ahead of time so you can maintain a nutritious diet during the healing phase. Make homemade soups in the crock pot because they are very nutritious and easy to eat ..... freeze small portions so you can just throw them in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. Juice veggies or fruit in a blender to a smoothie consistency.... and google soft food diet for other suggestions that may be to your liking.

Your dentist may not have personally experienced this exact dental work himself, but he has had countless patients who have and he can guide you through the first few weeks. It is important to follow the post operative instructions... eat a nutritious diet.... eliminate foods and drinks that are not nutritious as they will slow down the healing process.... drink plenty of water (from a cup as usual) to help keep hydrated and see your dentist as needed for the first few weeks. He expects you to need several adjustments... so don't allow a sore spot to go on for too long because you think you're bothering him... ok? :)

As for being off of work... it varies per case. You may want to take the entire week off .... or you may not need it. One day at a time...

You will be okay.... you really will :)

Keep us posted on how you're doing...
Bryanna

I feel so sorry for my self right now. I have just had the moulds taken for upper dentures which will be placed in my mouth next Monday. I was told that I will find it very difficult at first, if only the dentist knew just how difficult I am expecting it to be. How much time off can I legally take from work. I work in a school and it is necessary for me to have to speak quite a bit during the day. I am currently off work right now, as my top teeth are literally hanging and are very loose. Eating and speaking is difficult. I think I am just after some hits and tips to ease me through the coming weeks. I have been crying today, so I expect the full water works next Monday when my few remaining teeth are extracted.

Christina54
10-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Hello. Is there anyone out there who may be able to help cheer me up and tell me there is life with dentures. I am currently having my top teeth taken out and dentures put in. I had to have a mould taken for the second time yesterday and this pulled out 3 of the teeth that the first mould loosened. I am still hoping that the dentures will come from the lab on Monday for the dentist to pull my remaining 5 teeth on the top. I have noticed today that speech is difficult, I did not seem to have any trouble yesterday. The doctor is going to ring me today to sort out if I can have a sick note. Obviously I have had to stop going to work, first because my mouth hurt, then the loose teeth, then the missing teeth.

My bottom jaw will have the periodontist working on the teeth in November. The earliest appointment I could get even though that will be private work not NHS work.

I have little bone to consider implants. I do not want to spend that much money. I would of course prefer implants or removable fixed dentures. When its time to say goodbye to my bottom teeth, I will consider having a removable fixed denture because from what I have read, its harder and more uncomfortable to have bottom dentures than top dentures.

Hoping someone can help me through what the dentist has said will be very difficult days.

Bryanna
10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Christina,

Your dentist should not be telling you how difficult this is going to be. Everyone has a different experience and those that go into this with an optimistic attitude tend to feel better a lot sooner than those who allow the fear and unknown to bring them down. So he really should be encouraging you to think positively. If your teeth are in that poor of shape that they need to be removed, then removing them is a positive thing and your life can only improve once they are gone.

You will eventually adjust to wearing the denture and it may not be as difficult as you are imagining it. Some people have little to no problems ... who knows, maybe you will be one of those people! If you go into this with a more positive and optimistic outlook then when any issues do occur, your spirits will already be lifted which makes dealing with problems a lot easier.

Since you are not going to work, now is a good time to prepare your soft food diet menu for the upcoming 2 weeks or so. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have this done ahead of time because nutrition is of the utmost importance anytime you have surgery. Not only does the preparation make you feel more positive but it also gives you one less thing to stress about if you are not feeling up to par for a few days... just makes life so much easier and you will heal faster! It will help cheer you up... believe me, you have to focus on the health aspect of what you are doing because it is for the betterment of your overall well being and try to worry less about the stuff that you have no control over right now. You really don't know how you are going to feel afterwards so why not envision that you are going to feel okay :)

Bryanna

Hello. Is there anyone out there who may be able to help cheer me up and tell me there is life with dentures. I am currently having my top teeth taken out and dentures put in. I had to have a mould taken for the second time yesterday and this pulled out 3 of the teeth that the first mould loosened. I am still hoping that the dentures will come from the lab on Monday for the dentist to pull my remaining 5 teeth on the top. I have noticed today that speech is difficult, I did not seem to have any trouble yesterday. The doctor is going to ring me today to sort out if I can have a sick note. Obviously I have had to stop going to work, first because my mouth hurt, then the loose teeth, then the missing teeth.

My bottom jaw will have the periodontist working on the teeth in November. The earliest appointment I could get even though that will be private work not NHS work.

I have little bone to consider implants. I do not want to spend that much money. I would of course prefer implants or removable fixed dentures. When its time to say goodbye to my bottom teeth, I will consider having a removable fixed denture because from what I have read, its harder and more uncomfortable to have bottom dentures than top dentures.

Hoping someone can help me through what the dentist has said will be very difficult days.

Christina54
10-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Thank you for replying. I am trying not to think about what may or may not happen at 4pm today. What I do know is that my remaining 6 top teeth are being extracted. Its been horrible having them hanging there over the last few days. I have not been able to speak to the family without covering up my mouth, and my husband has been keeping himself in the dining room with the computer, while I am in the living room with the tv. I know that nothing can look more unattractive than my own teeth look at the moment. I have bought in plenty of soups but that is about it. I know what you mean about being positive and have been finding it difficult to stay positive when I have been told I am going to find it very hard to adjust to. I did get a doctor to give me 2 weeks off which means that I have just over a week from today to get used to the denture and feel that I can speak properly - which is important in my job. Thank you once again for replying - I have only just found your replies right now. I also found looking at some videos from very pretty young women on utube who are denture wearers very helpful.

Bryanna
10-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Christina,

Just letting you know that we are thinking about you and hoping all goes well.

Keep in touch...

Bryanna

Thank you for replying. I am trying not to think about what may or may not happen at 4pm today. What I do know is that my remaining 6 top teeth are being extracted. Its been horrible having them hanging there over the last few days. I have not been able to speak to the family without covering up my mouth, and my husband has been keeping himself in the dining room with the computer, while I am in the living room with the tv. I know that nothing can look more unattractive than my own teeth look at the moment. I have bought in plenty of soups but that is about it. I know what you mean about being positive and have been finding it difficult to stay positive when I have been told I am going to find it very hard to adjust to. I did get a doctor to give me 2 weeks off which means that I have just over a week from today to get used to the denture and feel that I can speak properly - which is important in my job. Thank you once again for replying - I have only just found your replies right now. I also found looking at some videos from very pretty young women on utube who are denture wearers very helpful.

Christina54
10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
It is now 2.12am and I have been in bed since I got back from the dentist at around 6pm. I found it to be a painless experience, no bleeding, and have not needed to take any tablets for pain. I feel quite weepy which I did expect because I really do wish that I was not in the position in which I find myself right now. I thought that I would not take the denture out at night, even though I seem to recall the dentist telling me to do so this afternoon, but did have to take it out as I started to gag when I laid down. Right now, I cannot see any way in which I am going to find anything acceptable in my life again. I cannot see how I can possibly ever go back to work. I shall allow my self to wallow in my misery for a few days, then try to adjust as not wanting to talk to my family is going to effect my family life. My husband does wear dentures (top and bottom) and has done for many years. I cannot recall him feeling miserable, but can recall him being in pain over the extractions. He seemed quite able to accept wearing dentures and can sit without them in at home, something I think I will never ever be able to do.

I have another appointment on Wednesday, not exactly sure why as I was too miserable to listen properly when she was telling me. I think the plate covers too much of my palate - one of the major dislikes I knew I was going to have - but have no actual idea of what they actually look like in my mouth as I am not interested in looking for the moment. She did say they looked nice, and asked if I wanted to look, I was not interested then and I am not interested now.

I do realise that if I can feel positive about this things are going to be a thousand times better. But right now, have no idea exactly how I am going to do that. Hopefully, as the days go by, I will start to feel more happier and start worrying about something else.

Christina54
10-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I tried wearing the denture today - day 1 - and it made me physically sick. So apart from trying now and again to put them in, I have not worn them at all. I think I could quite easily stay in and never go out again and go without wearing them. But sadly, I do have a job, which I will have to go back to at some point. I am back at the dentist tomorrow and hopefully she may be able to do something to make it cover less of my palate. From what information I have gathered, if one is considering denture implants it is best to have them put in earlier rather than later, as they encourage the bone to remain. If it is something that a person does later it then may require a bone graft or sinus lift. Is that correct? The dentist told me that I am not going to find this an easy transition (though I did tell her before she told me!) but somehow I am going to have to find a way of dealing with it. And that is going to have to wait till tomorrow!

Christina54
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I have had it filed down slightly at the palate. The dentist said it was not touching my soft palate but I could not stop gagging when I put it in my mouth. Now I am managing to wear them for around 2 hours a day so I suppose that is an improvement. They feel too thick though under my top lip and extend too far back so not really that pleased with their fit. I have made an appointment at a Harley Street Dentist looking ahead to the permanent pair that comes next. There is no way on this earth that I would consider another NHS pair. I will be open to discussing options around implanting dentures - cost would be a consideration of course.

I still have the hurdle of eating and drinking with them in. I am going to try tomorrow.

Jhillman
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I am a 29 year old male in the sales industry. My issue is I have not had this done as of yet. I need all of my teeth removed and both upper and lower dentures in place. I am afraid they won't fit, or I can't talk correctly, I know they will be uncomfortable because they will be immediate dentures. :confused: I am just so stressed because of the cost of all of this. I live in NH and in the southern part. I find that everthing is so expensive when it comes to medical and dental. Any Pointers, I have been denied al types ofthird party financing.

How long did it take to talk normally?

Or eat notmal things like juicy steaks, as now I can't even eat steak with my teeth.

All assistance will be appreciated, thank you

Jeff

ckennedy1
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I have to say I went through a similar experience when I was 18 a full upper denture, I was hit by a drunk driver smashing my mouth on steering wheel.

to date I have been through WAY too many procedures, surgeries grafts both bone & tissue to begin to list, BECAUSE i couldnt take the denture after a 6 month trial period... the denture absolutley without a doubt forever changed who was I. I became very self conscious and uncomfortable about everything pertaining to my mouth.

I have had a full set of implants placed then removed and placed all over again. I have spent countless hours in any & all oral procedure you could think of. I have endure more pain then any person in my life yet I would do it all over again b/c I refuse to ever find myself in a position of needing a denture. No matter how hard the top oral maxil & labortaries here in NYC tried the dentures never fit they never looked good and always broke. I say this not yo scare you I say this in hopes that you will do all you can to find a solution (dental implants for teeth or partial denture) other then a denture,

20 years later my mom says not only did the car accident take my daughters teeth it took her spirit.. I have a 7 year old daughter and sadly there is NOT one picture of me anywhere, I stopped taking pictures b/c I refused to smile after getting the denture

Pls your young do all you can do do NOT let this change you

ckennedy1
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
try going to a a teaching dental university in your area as they sometimes do procedures pro bono

Pamster
01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Having 7 teeth extracted, and an aveoloplasty done where they smooth the bone. I am getting headaches all the time and feel like crap. Sure I am grieving the loss of my teeth and it hasn't happened yet. BUT I can't get immediates like other people in this thread did and that stinks, but my insurance only covers one. I have to go to one of those denture factories too. I am having the surgery done here locally by a oral surgeon I trust, and the denture won't be made until the summertime when I've had a good long chance to heal.

It's an upper that I need made. I am really worried about the future, I am only 44, I am so afraid this is something I am going to regret, but my teeth are awful, I can't eat right, I've only GOT the seven left up top, and I think they are poisoning me creating these rotten headaches. So I know this is a very old thread, are any of you still around and willing to share how life has treated you? I can't afford to get a really nice one on my own, so I have to do it this way, and being toothless up there for 6 months is going to be rough, but I won't LET it hold me back.

I have a family to take care of and things to do, so I am going to make this work. I have heard some people end up just eating using their gums and that dentures never work for them. This is something I am worried about. Any advice would be appreciated.