PDA

View Full Version : Pain After \dental Bridge

Eenie
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi, please can anyone help!! Had a dental bridge 9weeks ago and have had toothache ever since, had a night guard from dentist which did not help and various readjustments ("Shavings") Saw an endontist on holiday in US who said I did not need root canal (my own dentist had also said this) Pain subsides after "shavings for 1-2 days then comes back in full force. saw dentist last wek and she said next option would be RC but it may not solve problem! Now adjacent teeth aching and will be going back to Dentist today. Have no gum inflammation or swelling and pain does not bother me through the night but starts as soon as I wake up. My gut feeling is that the bridge may be too tight and would takng the bridge away first be a better option than rushing in with a RC? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Bryanna
09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Eenie,

If you did not have any pain prior to the installation of that bridge and your radiographs show no pathology, meaning no infection on any of the teeth, then it may be best to have it removed and redone. Are any of the teeth associated with this bridge root canaled?

Bryanna

Hi, please can anyone help!! Had a dental bridge 9weeks ago and have had toothache ever since, had a night guard from dentist which did not help and various readjustments ("Shavings") Saw an endontist on holiday in US who said I did not need root canal (my own dentist had also said this) Pain subsides after "shavings for 1-2 days then comes back in full force. saw dentist last wek and she said next option would be RC but it may not solve problem! Now adjacent teeth aching and will be going back to Dentist today. Have no gum inflammation or swelling and pain does not bother me through the night but starts as soon as I wake up. My gut feeling is that the bridge may be too tight and would takng the bridge away first be a better option than rushing in with a RC? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Eenie
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Bryanna, thanks for reply. Saw another dentist in practice today and he thinks problem is to do with gum area over bridge. More tests and definitely no nerve death, although he did say it could be dying!! Put some herbal ointment round bridge and it is at least 80% better (Think it has oil of cloves in) So fingers crossed. But am not letting them rush into RC. Have never had RC. Basically this is the first dental problem I've had for at least 20years, so suppose I've been lucky. Radiographs (x3) at different times showed no pathology. fingers crosed

Bryanna
09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Eenie,

So that's good that there's no obvious tooth infection brewing!!

The gum area that you speak of .... I'm assuming it is along the gumline where the bridge meets the gum and it is perhaps a bit inflamed?

Sometimes the actual gumline margins of the crown/bridge are what is called subgingival (below the gumline) making that area irritated/inflamed or supragingival (far above the gumline) making it a trap for plaque. Either of these situations can cause a constant gum irritation and discomfort. In either case, usually thorough brushing and flossing will keep the irritation to a minimum. If the irritation becomes chronic, then a deep pocket will develop and the tooth will become compromised.

Sometimes the angle of the bridge is compromised for whatever reason and one or more of the units of the bridge are pressing into the gum tissue. This is not acceptable and means the bridge needs to be redone.

The herbal ointment is most likely oil of cloves and a local anesthetic. This is usually used to reduce the inflammation, but it's not necessarily a cure if the culprit of the irritation has something to do with your bridge. This ointment is also applied to a canker sore ulcer for temporary relief. Perhaps you have a little ulcer there?

Glad you have relief... hopefully it will stay that way!
Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, thanks for reply. Saw another dentist in practice today and he thinks problem is to do with gum area over bridge. More tests and definitely no nerve death, although he did say it could be dying!! Put some herbal ointment round bridge and it is at least 80% better (Think it has oil of cloves in) So fingers crossed. But am not letting them rush into RC. Have never had RC. Basically this is the first dental problem I've had for at least 20years, so suppose I've been lucky. Radiographs (x3) at different times showed no pathology. fingers crosed

Eenie
09-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks Bryanna. The gum area that seems to be causing the problem is the middle of the crowns. (1 crown either side of where tooth was removed) Hope that makes sense! Have slight toothache today but nowhere near as bad as it has been .Am going to contact dentist again today as my own dentist is back. Think it could be a bridge problem as both crowns ache. One tooth was slightly painful to tapping, where 2 weeks ago both were! Think I have a gremlin in my mouth!! Dentist did say that if I got relief yesterday it would be the gum causing the problem, but from your reply and my symptoms I'm not so sure! Thanks again.

Bryanna
09-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi Eenie,

The middle crown?? That's the pontic/fake tooth. Is that portion of the bridge jammed into that gum tissue? Is there room to get a floss threader underneath that area comfortably?

If both anchor teeth are healthy and they were not hurting prior to the placement of this bridge.... then it could be the fit of the bridge that is causing excessive pressure on those anchor teeth. In that case, the bridge would need to be redone or the periodontal ligaments that hold those anchor teeth in the bone are going to become very inflamed and both teeth could die. It could also be the bite is not lined up properly and you may be clenching during your sleep. If it is the bite, then when you wake up in the morning you would feel some achiness....pain... tenderness in the jaw.... which could subside or get worse as the day goes on.

Is anything temperature sensitive?

Bryanna

Thanks Bryanna. The gum area that seems to be causing the problem is the middle of the crowns. (1 crown either side of where tooth was removed) Hope that makes sense! Have slight toothache today but nowhere near as bad as it has been .Am going to contact dentist again today as my own dentist is back. Think it could be a bridge problem as both crowns ache. One tooth was slightly painful to tapping, where 2 weeks ago both were! Think I have a gremlin in my mouth!! Dentist did say that if I got relief yesterday it would be the gum causing the problem, but from your reply and my symptoms I'm not so sure! Thanks again.

Eenie
09-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Hi Bryanna, think I'm getting somewhere at last! saw Dentist yesterday, nothing temperature sensitive and plenty of room to get floss underneath fake tooth. I do have pain/tenderness when I wake up but have a night guard (although have not been able to use it for 1week) dentist in US did wonder if I could be allergic to any material in the bridge and my own dentist also wondering this now. She was going to remove the bridge yesterday and give me a temporary one, but I had to go to work. Her day off today so am having procedure tomorrow. She is talking about maybe a gold backed one (think that's right) Funnily enough, the pain went completely about 5pm yesterday and has just
returned now, but only about 2 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Eenie
09-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Sorry, computer went weird and I couldn't finish. I'm hoping ligaments going to be ok. She said that although indication was that there was no nerve death they could be dying! Bite was checked and fine, also checked in US. Will kep you informed and many thanks for your support. Eenie

Bryanna
09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi Eenie,

Ok... not temp sensitive....can floss underneath .... ok good.
Allergy to the metal....that's a possibility, although that would not cause the teeth to hurt. It would cause the gum tissue to inflame and possibly canker sores to develop. I'm still leaning towards the bridge not fitting properly which is causing undue stress on those teeth and when you clench or grind on it a certain way, it gets sore under the pontic as if it were a referred pain from the pressure on both anchor teeth. If she does make a new bridge, perhaps she can have the lab fabricate it without any metal which would be called a Lava Zirconium bridge.

What teeth are involved in this bridge? Any chance you could post an xray?

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, think I'm getting somewhere at last! saw Dentist yesterday, nothing temperature sensitive and plenty of room to get floss underneath fake tooth. I do have pain/tenderness when I wake up but have a night guard (although have not been able to use it for 1week) dentist in US did wonder if I could be allergic to any material in the bridge and my own dentist also wondering this now. She was going to remove the bridge yesterday and give me a temporary one, but I had to go to work. Her day off today so am having procedure tomorrow. She is talking about maybe a gold backed one (think that's right) Funnily enough, the pain went completely about 5pm yesterday and has just
returned now, but only about 2 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Eenie
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
not able to send xray images cos not able to put them online as have no photo hosting sites. Sorry.

Eenie
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
teeth involved are central and lateral incisor and canine (upper) Lateral being the fake.

Eenie
09-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Had bridge removed yesterday and temporary one put in. No pain since!! So fingers crossed. Will not hold my breath 'till 24hrs passed! Wish I could just keep this temporary 1!

Bryanna
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Eenie,

Well yeh! That may indicate that the span of the bridge was not correct and there was too much pressure on the anchor teeth.

I am so glad that you were persistent and did not settle for unnecessary root canal treatment!! Good for you!!!! A wait and see approach is best at this point to let the teeth and periodontal ligaments calm down from the excessive pressure.

Please keep us posted =)
Bryanna

Had bridge removed yesterday and temporary one put in. No pain since!! So fingers crossed. Will not hold my breath 'till 24hrs passed! Wish I could just keep this temporary 1!

Eenie
10-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Bryanna, bad news!! Had bad toothache again yesterday evening. Managed to get hold of dentist and she said it was probably just gum inflammation due to work I had done and recommended a mouthwash. Toothache was extremely bad in night for 3hrs. Rang emergency dentist toady and he said bite wasn't good and has "shaved" teeth. They were feeling better but slight ache now. Hopefully it's just tenderness from treatment as I go on holiday Sunday night!! He did say the bridge seemed fine. I was very lucky as emergency treatment was going to be a 150 call out fee plus treatment cost, but I got an NHS dentist and was only charged 17!! Fingers crossed again. Thanks again for your support, i do appreciate it,. Are you in the dental profession? Inez.x

Bryanna
10-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi Eenie,

Oh geez.... I am getting the impression that this female dentist may not be so great only because you continue to have painful consequences what the work that she does.

What did she recommend to rinse with? Warm salt water rinses should be all that is necessary to soothe a gum irritation. Refrain from any mouthwash that contains alcohol because this will cause additional irritation.

I also think you may be grinding your teeth. Did you previously mention that you had a nightguard? Any chance you can wear that?

Yes, I am in the dental profession for 30+ years. I wear a variety of hats ..... chairside assisting, radiography, patient counselor, treatment/financial coordinator....etc.

Hope you have a great holiday.... drop us a note when you get back!
Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, bad news!! Had bad toothache again yesterday evening. Managed to get hold of dentist and she said it was probably just gum inflammation due to work I had done and recommended a mouthwash. Toothache was extremely bad in night for 3hrs. Rang emergency dentist toady and he said bite wasn't good and has "shaved" teeth. They were feeling better but slight ache now. Hopefully it's just tenderness from treatment as I go on holiday Sunday night!! He did say the bridge seemed fine. I was very lucky as emergency treatment was going to be a 150 call out fee plus treatment cost, but I got an NHS dentist and was only charged 17!! Fingers crossed again. Thanks again for your support, i do appreciate it,. Are you in the dental profession? Inez.x

Eenie
10-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi Bryanna, think I'm agreeing with you! Mouthwash was Colgate Peroxyl. She told me not to use Listerine and that has alcohol in. Yes, I do have a nightguard but only wearing it intermittently as my teeth sore. Dentist today seemed surprised that I had one. I was never aware that I was grinding my teeth, but my dentist said I showed signs of that. Dentist today said to leave it for a few nights till teeth settled down. I was using warm salt water washes anyway and have continued to do so. My main concern now is that if this temporary bridge is now ok will I have similar problems with new bridge!! It's becoming a nightmare. Teeth seem quite settled now. Only on holiday for 3 nights, so will keep you informed. Inez.

Eenie
10-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Forgot to say, so pleased I found this site, and you! Also, if the work done today is the answer, how long should it take to settle down? (roughly) Thanks

Bryanna
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi Inez,

Don't use the nightguard if it makes your teeth sore. But try to catch yourself clenching or grinding your teeth. We often do this without realizing it and it can make our teeth very sore.

Also, look at the list of ingredients in the Colgate Peroxyl... aside from peroxide (which can be irritating to the gums if used every day), the #1 inactive ingredient is ethyl alcohol. As for the rest of it... not at all healthy for you or your gums. Dentists routinely suggest mouthwash and toothpastes that are ADA approved.... they should stop and read the ingredients first! The salt water rinses will not cause any harm or irritation. Just use a hint of salt, no need to make it salty.

If the dentist makes the bridge similarly to the way she did before, then yes, you will have similar problems. So I hope she can make it better this time!

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, think I'm agreeing with you! Mouthwash was Colgate Peroxyl. She told me not to use Listerine and that has alcohol in. Yes, I do have a nightguard but only wearing it intermittently as my teeth sore. Dentist today seemed surprised that I had one. I was never aware that I was grinding my teeth, but my dentist said I showed signs of that. Dentist today said to leave it for a few nights till teeth settled down. I was using warm salt water washes anyway and have continued to do so. My main concern now is that if this temporary bridge is now ok will I have similar problems with new bridge!! It's becoming a nightmare. Teeth seem quite settled now. Only on holiday for 3 nights, so will keep you informed. Inez.

Bryanna
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh thanks.... nice to have met you as well!!

The teeth should settle down within a few days the most. One concern is that you may be grinding which would stir them up again. So just try to be gentle with them when eating and when sleeping..... if possible =-)

Have fun!!
Bryanna

Forgot to say, so pleased I found this site, and you! Also, if the work done today is the answer, how long should it take to settle down? (roughly) Thanks

GaryA
10-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Trigger points in muscles of jaw/neck sometimes refer pain into the teeth.
From personal experience, I know that the extension of jaw during dental work can activate TrPs, which in turn can hurt as intensely as a toothache

Visit this site for more info:
http://lifeafterpain.com/info/trigger-point/trigger-points-and-tooth-pain/

Here's another good link:
http://www.gustrength.com/muscles:sternocleidomastoid-location-action-trigger-points

Because these TrPs are located within easy reach, you can work them yourself.

Eenie
10-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Thank you both for reply. GaryA, will check these sites. Bryanna, will heed your advice too and am takng night guard with me. So pleased I am able to go away. Thought it wouldn't happen! Am going to Spain with 6 other girls and we all started working together 40 yrs ago and now live in different parts of the country, so should be good. Take care, Inez

Eenie
10-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Hi Bryanna, missed 1st reply, sorry. Bridge is made in a dental lab, so will discuss it with her. She wants to leave the temporary 1 in for 1 month and see if further developments that suggest a root canal is needed. Was thinking of changing my dentist, but she said she will only charge me the lab fees, so not sure now. Also this dentist is only 5mins. walk from me and so far has had very good reputation. maybe I've just been unlucky!

Bryanna
10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh Wow!! This sounds like so much fun.... ENJOY!!!!

Thank you both for reply. GaryA, will check these sites. Bryanna, will heed your advice too and am takng night guard with me. So pleased I am able to go away. Thought it wouldn't happen! Am going to Spain with 6 other girls and we all started working together 40 yrs ago and now live in different parts of the country, so should be good. Take care, Inez

Bryanna
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
The dental lab fabricates the bridge to her specifications. Meaning they can only make it according to how she has prepared the teeth, gums and impressions. So if any of those things are off, the bridge will not fit properly. If your teeth stay calm with this temporary bridge, then chances are the problem is not the health of your teeth but the fit of the bridge.

OK... now go to Spain and don't think about this anymore!!!

Hi Bryanna, missed 1st reply, sorry. Bridge is made in a dental lab, so will discuss it with her. She wants to leave the temporary 1 in for 1 month and see if further developments that suggest a root canal is needed. Was thinking of changing my dentist, but she said she will only charge me the lab fees, so not sure now. Also this dentist is only 5mins. walk from me and so far has had very good reputation. maybe I've just been unlucky!

Eenie
10-23-2011, 12:44 PM
The dental lab fabricates the bridge to her specifications. Meaning they can only make it according to how she has prepared the teeth, gums and impressions. So if any of those things are off, the bridge will not fit properly. If your teeth stay calm with this temporary bridge, then chances are the problem is not the health of your teeth but the fit of the bridge.

OK... now go to Spain and don't think about this anymore!!!

Hi Bryanna, I'm back! Had good time in Spain and teeth were only really bad on afternoon I came home. saw Dentist and she did bite adjustment and said to see her 3wkks time. Went for foot operation and teeth fine after op for 2days (?due to anaesthetic and analgesia) Saw her again Wednesday and she was not pleased that i wouln't agree to root canal and also implied that I hadn,t given it time to settle down!! Did more adjustment of incisor which I though was too "thick" This has made the bridge feel a good fit and part of my mouth, and toothache was minimal so was hoping it was settling down (she did say it could take up to 2 weeks to settle) However been worse today. Ache now seems to be incisor and fake tooth, again into the gum on the fake tooth. Am having salt gargles and oraljel. Wondering is she could be right and the nerve is dying? How long can this take? Back to square 1!! Inez

Bryanna
10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Inez,

Welcome back... glad to hear you had a good time in Spain!!

It sounds to me like your dentist has become impatient with your (valid) dental complaints. Unfortunately her demeanor is typical behavior and she will now push to do that root canal and attempt to <<convince>> you that the root canal will solve the pain (temporarily). What she won't tell you is that the root canal procedure will leave you with an infected tooth that will only need to be removed sometime in the future. Since that tooth is part of your bridge, that means the bridge would have to be redone.

If that tooth is infected or has pulpitis (inflammation of the pulp chamber inside the tooth or the nerve dying) then the only options are root canal or extraction. Root canal therapy can not make the tooth healthy again and extraction of the tooth will be imminent. So you may want to talk to her about removing that tooth now and what treatment options would be available to you. This is IF the tooth has an infection or pulpitis.

When the drilling preparation is being done on the teeth that are going to be crowned or bridged, the tooth can die from either the trauma caused by the high speed drill and/or if the preparation is too severe. This bridge has been an ongoing problem from the onset of preparing the teeth. So I am wondering if the tooth was not healthy to begin with and/or she prepped the tooth too severely......??

If the tooth is healthy but the bridge does not fit well against the gumline or fit into the bite properly, the tooth and surrounding area will hurt and the pulp will eventually become inflamed which could cause the tooth to die. This is why some dentists will become impatient with the chronic complaints and they know they can't correct the preparation so they recommend a root canal on the aching tooth. As I said, the root canal is not the permanent cure all for an aching tooth.

The salt water rinsing will only help if there is gum irritation. The orajel can actually irritate the gum tissue if it's used too often and the reason it helps temporarily calm down the ache is because it has a topical anesthetic in it.

I feel bad that you are going through this. If the bridge fits ok and the teeth are healthy, the achiness can take a few weeks to calm down completely. But I don't know if that is what will occur in your case because it depends on what is being seen clinically or radio-graphically.

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, I'm back! Had good time in Spain and teeth were only really bad on afternoon I came home. saw Dentist and she did bite adjustment and said to see her 3wkks time. Went for foot operation and teeth fine after op for 2days (?due to anaesthetic and analgesia) Saw her again Wednesday and she was not pleased that i wouln't agree to root canal and also implied that I hadn,t given it time to settle down!! Did more adjustment of incisor which I though was too "thick" This has made the bridge feel a good fit and part of my mouth, and toothache was minimal so was hoping it was settling down (she did say it could take up to 2 weeks to settle) However been worse today. Ache now seems to be incisor and fake tooth, again into the gum on the fake tooth. Am having salt gargles and oraljel. Wondering is she could be right and the nerve is dying? How long can this take? Back to square 1!! Inez

Eenie
10-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Thanks Bryanna, you've confirmed what I thought. Managed to wear my mouth guard for the first time last night and bridge feels to be fitting firmer if a little tight, so see how it goes. Last x-rays I had were fine (my husand checked them too and he knows a little bit about x-rays) have been told that my gums are very healthy looking (Dentist praised my teeth cleaning and flossing!!) dentist also said that she will give me another temporary bridge next week and is not doing an impression for a new one until I am totally satisfied with the fit! I felt like the patient from Hell! If I do end up having a root Canal I will then look for a NHS dentist. They are SO much cheaper but there are none in our town, need to travel about 20miles and I don't drive,but think it will be worth it.