Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

MG - who's idea was this?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
jana
Member
 
jana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tenn
Posts: 554
Default

Ok, folks STOP wearing the eye-patch!! I went to a neuro-opthalmologist and his tech fixed a pair of glasses for me with SCOTCH TAPE -- YES, SCOTCH TAPE!!! Here's what you do. Figure out WHICH eye is dominant. My right eye is dominant. So, he put the FUZZY-looking (NOT the clear kind) of Scotch tape over the lens of my left eye (non-dominant). IF you do NOT yet NEED glasses, you could get a pair of those el-cheapo kind at a dollar store and just KNOCK out the lens on the side that you will need to LOOK through -- and put tape on the side you need to cover. I'm telling you, the scotch tape makes the glass JUST blurry enough that you won't be able to focus and it is amazing. When people see me, now -- I almost look "normal". They can see the shape of my eye through the "semi-transparent" tape -- and it takes a second or two for them to figure out something is different. It is not NEARLY as distracting as an eye-patch!! And it lets LIGHT into your eye!!
__________________
~jana
jana is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (04-13-2012)
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Brennan068
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Ok, folks STOP wearing the eye-patch!! I went to a neuro-opthalmologist and his tech fixed a pair of glasses for me with SCOTCH TAPE -- YES, SCOTCH TAPE!!! Here's what you do. Figure out WHICH eye is dominant. My right eye is dominant. So, he put the FUZZY-looking (NOT the clear kind) of Scotch tape over the lens of my left eye (non-dominant). IF you do NOT yet NEED glasses, you could get a pair of those el-cheapo kind at a dollar store and just KNOCK out the lens on the side that you will need to LOOK through -- and put tape on the side you need to cover. I'm telling you, the scotch tape makes the glass JUST blurry enough that you won't be able to focus and it is amazing. When people see me, now -- I almost look "normal". They can see the shape of my eye through the "semi-transparent" tape -- and it takes a second or two for them to figure out something is different. It is not NEARLY as distracting as an eye-patch!! And it lets LIGHT into your eye!!

How do you pretend you're a pirate with scotch tape instead of a cool eye-patch?
Brennan068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
jana
Member
 
jana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tenn
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan068 View Post
How do you pretend you're a pirate with scotch tape instead of a cool eye-patch?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Great MG attitude!!!!!

Of course, we girls have to think about our "beauty" and trying to "fit in" -- LOL!!
__________________
~jana
jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
pingpongman
Member
 
pingpongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 591
My Mood:
Default

Oh I played a pirate for a year. The kids really stared at me in the stores.
Mike
pingpongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Juanitad
Member
 
Juanitad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 261
My Mood:
Default

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just made my first trip out using the scotch tape instead of a patch and it worked! Much easier than a patch and my glasses sat straight on my nose. Yea!
Juanitad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
jana
Member
 
jana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tenn
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanitad View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just made my first trip out using the scotch tape instead of a patch and it worked! Much easier than a patch and my glasses sat straight on my nose. Yea!
Yay!! I thought my doc and his tech were BLOOMING GENIUSES!!
__________________
~jana
jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Marybetho
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Default

I am 57 and have been diagnosed for 2 1/2years. Can I ask why so many are wearing eye patches? Is it due to double vision or droopy eyelid? Has anyone gotten or heard of eyeglass crutches? I'm having a terrible time with my eyes. Thanks.
Marybetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
scrubbs
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 173
Default

An eye patch eliminates double vision but it impairs your depth perception. You can drive but definitely you have to be a aware of that.

My vision is not bad enough to require glasses for driving. The optometrist did not think I needed glasses because the prescription was so minimal. I insisted.

I did the same thing Jana did but I used a black marker to paint the tape but maybe I did not have to paint it. I don't know now because my DV is gone but the little bit of improvement in the one eye eliminated the blurry vision in that one eye.

I still wear the glasses without the covering when I am driving because I still have a little bit of blurry vision and using them makes driving much easier and eliminates headaches.

Tony
scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Juanitad
Member
 
Juanitad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 261
My Mood:
Default

For me, it is double vision - I can't drive or read without some type of eye patch. I see 2 clear images, one above and to the right of the other. My right eye muscles are the ones affected, the ones that hold the eyeball down in a alignment with the left eye.
Juanitad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
wbdolphin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 28
Default I'm not the only one

I had my flu shot on October 26th, and my first ptosis symptom appeared on October 28th! I was at an opthamologist by the next week and was diagnosed with MG within another week with positive blood test. Got to a neurologist, he ordered a cat scan that showed a hyperplastic thymus. Told me it needed to come out, so we decided to do it before the end of the year (for insurance reasons). Started plasma exchange on Dec 15, had transternal thymectomy on Dec 20 and went home on Christmas Day. (could have gone home on the 23rd but developed arrythmias and had to stay). My thymus ended up being 4 1/2" by 4 1/2" but no cancer.

My point is (and I do have one), I am so glad to read that someone else "developed" MG after a flu shot. Well, not glad that they got it too, but you know what I mean. Each doctor has told me that the flu shot had nothing to do with it........I'll always wonder if and when the MG would have appeared had I not had the flu shot.
wbdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtual Clinical Trials...good idea or bad idea? CarolynS Parkinson's Disease 6 11-06-2011 09:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives