Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

first p/t--is this norm?

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #31
jkl626

Default Conservative Treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Valium is the brand name for Diazepam.
Ativan (Lorazepam) is a similar medication (Valium is longer acting).

These drugs seem to be effective for many of us with TOS when muscle relaxers become ineffective. The main benefit of Valium for me is that it helps me sleep through the night and prevents increased tension in the morning. I only got 3-4 hours of sleep on Zanaflex and Flexeril stopped helping me sleep altogether (Soma didn't work for me either). When I didn't sleep well, my tension would be worse in the morning.
Oh Okay I am familiar with Valium. i think it gives me an upset stomach. Amazing you are already typing nospam! Relafan is now working for me better than either the flexeril or mobic(meloxicam). Today I pick up a cream from a compounding pharmacy with nerontin, as well as mobic and a muscle relaxant as well. W'ell see. Each week I try something new. I tried A Trigger pt massage last week,got sore that evening, but it may have helped. Will try it again befor I commit to more treatments. it is expensive. I Also talked to Dr.Aufiero at Orthohealing about trying the neural Prolotherapy which she thinks may have better results than the radio frequency. She says to come in while I am in pain and I will be able to tell right away if it will help. After that it is several sessions not covered by insurance. The shoulder brace is helping alot too.

My main concern right now is my arm pain which hurts with use, as I have no chance of going back to work anytime soon if the arm pain continues. Joyce (my pt thinks I have better movement since the botox and trigger pt injections even though I still have Trapezius rhomboid and arm pain.) She started giving me streghthening exercises for my core.

All in All I am about 30% better than I was 2 months ago,but about the same as when it first started a 1 1/2 years ago. I am going to give it a little more time before I start looking into surgery. i see Dr. Jordan on Friday so I'll see what he thinks.
jkl626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

My Mood:

It did take me 2.5 years to get back to a semi normal life.
My TOS is now more of a mild low grade chronic thing with myofascial discomfort with extreme weather changes or if I do anything holding my arms over my head for more than a couple minutes

Much of the time was wasted due to work comp and the system. I really had no clue about this thing called TOS until 1 yr into it and started finding info about it. Some of the time was lost due to focusing PT only on the hands/arms vs the whole picture.. But that also was due to the wc rules and the rx'd PT.

Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link -

NT Guidelines

Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
chroma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl626 View Post
Hi Chroma, who is your chiro and what does diazepam do?
Others already covered diazepam. This was actually the first relaxant I tried on the advice of my DO. He likes to start with it because other relaxants can have stronger side effects.

My chiro was Dr. Paul Methot who works at both Healing Hands Wellness Center in Larchmont Village, Los Angeles and on Euclid St, Fullerton, CA (714-879-8992). I say "was" because I moved out of Los Angeles.
chroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
jkl626

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
Others already covered diazepam. This was actually the first relaxant I tried on the advice of my DO. He likes to start with it because other relaxants can have stronger side effects.

My chiro was Dr. Paul Methot who works at both Healing Hands Wellness Center in Larchmont Village, Los Angeles and on Euclid St, Fullerton, CA (714-879-8992). I say "was" because I moved out of Los Angeles.
Thanks, is he knowlegdable about TOS? I am looking for a chiro as my pt is almost out with my insurance.
jkl626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #35
chroma

He is, but I did not get full resolution. Then again I didn't get full resolution from my PT, meds or anything else. I'm a chronic case.

I would definitely give him 3 - 4 sessions and see what you think.
chroma is offline   Reply With Quote