Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Multiple Sclerosis > The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

? about my cat

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
doydie
Elder

My Mood:
Default ? about my cat

She is eating very little, does drink a little more than she eats and urinates in the litterbox about once a day. I haven't seen a BM in there for a couple of days. She is throwing up. I hate to see a cat throw up, it just seems so difficult for them to do it. I don't think it is hair ball as she doesn't groom herself like Adora did which was constantly. I got a look at her tongue once when she was grooming and it looks moist. Her eyes look good. Suggestions? This has gone on for a couple of days.

doydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Blessings2You
Elder

My Mood:

Call the vet and see if she needs to be seen. Better safe than hearing the vet say "I wish you'd brought her in two days ago." Let us know.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (05-04-2012), Kitty (05-04-2012), SallyC (05-04-2012)
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Dejibo
Elder

My Mood:

I agree, call the vet. Constipation can be a major tummy upset, and she may need to be given lactulose which can be squirted in her mouth. Find way to help her get more liquids in her. Canned for for a few days, or give tuna water.

When mine get constipated I have lactulose on hand, or I give them a blop of vaseline on the end of my finger and they lick it right up. It acts like a laxative and helps them move the hairballs along. Makes mine stop hucking up wet furballs on the carpet.

Let us know what they say. it should not be an emergency but it can be scary.

My Kitty Jack only pees ONCE a day! he can hold it up to 40 hours! you should see the size of it. MASSIVE! He will poop generally once a day but Ms Lily goes pee 3x a day and usually poops 2x. Each cat can be so different.

Make sure she isnt pooping somewhere else. When Jack was sick he would not want to use the litterbox. He blamed the box for his trouble.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-04-2012), SallyC (05-04-2012)
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Kitty
Super Moderator

Please call the vet and make an appt for her. Cats can get sick very quickly. Keep us posted.

Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (05-04-2012), Dejibo (05-04-2012), SallyC (05-04-2012)
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Jules A

My Mood:

The vomitting would concern me and they can really decompensate if they don't eat so I'd also say she needs to see the vet.

Maybe try to tempt her with something like baby food (no onions or garlic), tuna with water or a can of extra fishy/gravy laden fancy feast etc.

I hope she feels better soon and please keep us posted.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
mrsD
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Cats go into a toxic liver condition when they don't eat.

This does not happen to dogs.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/my-cat-wont-eat

A cat that stops eating can DIE.

Also don't leave old wet food out. Cats get sick on old food quickly, and barf it up. Give only enough wet food for that meal. We leave high protein kibble out during the night for snacks for our cats. (Wilderness by Blue Buffalo).

Long telephoto shot of a hummingbird at our dock feeder 2014.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:

Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:

mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-04-2012)
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
doydie
Elder

My Mood:

She is going to stay the day tomorrow for observation. Thanks guys.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (05-04-2012), Dejibo (05-04-2012), Jules A (05-04-2012), Kitty (05-04-2012), mrsD (05-04-2012), SallyC (05-04-2012), Twinkletoes (05-07-2012)
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Kitty
Super Moderator

Have you heard anything yet? I hope she's okay.....

"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (05-05-2012), SallyC (05-05-2012)
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
doydie
Elder

My Mood:

Just got back from the vet. I'm not sure if I have her at the right vet or not. I don't disagree with the diagnosis but I wonder if they diagnose to sell thier products. She said that Melody has pancreatitis. Her xrays show no stool in her colon but no colon enlargemnet that would show a blockage. It does show lots and lots of gas. I can attest to the gas! It stinks. So she gave her and antibitic and nausea shot, and a prescription meds for the nausea and some pain medicine. I have a prescription diet. They say she won't need to stay on it forever, just until she is over this. I may need to switch to a good canned food rather than my cheapo dry. She had lab work, numerous xrays and meds equaling about $600!

When we got her home I gave her a few spoon fulls of the food and she readily some of it.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (05-05-2012), Dejibo (05-06-2012), SallyC (05-05-2012), Twinkletoes (05-07-2012)
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Kitty
Super Moderator

You can always take her to a Holistic vet for a second opinion. Either way, a good quality food is the best option for any pet. Wellness canned and dry food is excellent. It's more expensive than the cheap grocery store stuff but whatever you save will be spent in vet bills and suffering for the pet.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (05-06-2012), SallyC (05-05-2012)