Just FYI in case you are not aware ... I am in the dental field for many years. So I can answer your questions.
First of all, whoever told you he would be okay in 3 days was not being truthful with you. The first "week" is usually a bit difficult as there is swelling, bruising and a lot of soreness. However, the second week things start to improve fairly quickly providing there are no complications. The swelling under his chin is a concern and needs to be evaluated asap.
An oral surgeon can tell you if he is healing normally and what that swelling is from. A general dentist is the one who will make the adjustments to the dentures to make them more comfortable during the healing phase. So he really should be seen by both.
I'm hoping an oral surgeon did the extractions and not a general dentist. For the simple reason that you stated your husband had periodontal disease and bone loss which means his situation was complicated due to infection and cases like this really should be treated by a specialist to assure that the surgery was done thoroughly.
I am sorry he is so miserable. He really needs to be seen by the surgeon and the general dentist for reasons that I have stated above.
I wish there was something I could recommend he do to feel better..... but he needs to be seen to determine the extent of the problem.
Please keep us posted.
Originally Posted by LVincent
Thanks so much. No I don't feel like he has any heart issues and he is not diabetic. We went for the same reason on Friday and they just said he had blood bruising. Today not a good day at all. Says his head is hurting and cannot wear his dentures very long and he is very swollen under his chin. Yes he did get the immediate dentures and he will have them for 6 months until he gets his permanent ones. I don't know what to do. I will try and call an oral surgeon tomorrow and see if he can get in this week. The problem is, our daughter is getting married this weekend out of town. Of course, the dentist told him he would be better in 3 days so that's why he decided to go ahead and do it but now it has been 8 days and no relief. Do you think he should see a general practitioner? His mother is pushing for that but I'm thinking he should go back to the dentist or an oral surgeon better.