I find it difficult to believe that the infection and bone loss did not show up on the xrays and scans. The purpose of those things is to check the health and dimension of the bone. So certainly any "massive" infection would have undoubtedly been picked up prior to the extractions. Sometimes, the size and areas of infection become more prevalent during the oral surgery. Perhaps that is what the oral surgeon meant about his findings at the time of surgery???
In my opinion, the decision to place implants in the jawbone at the time of extractions depends on the health of the bone.... period. If it is not healthy, in my opinion, the implants should not be placed at that time. Some surgeons will wait, others don't. Even the placement of bone graft material in unhealthy bone is not ideal.... again my opinion.
Anyplace else in the body... hips, knees, shoulders, etc... bone grafting and artificial replacements are not done until the infection is cleared. If those surgeries are rushed into, infection always prevails and the patient ends up needing additional surgeries. So why do dentists think of the mouth as being any different?? I have no idea :/
The issues that you have with your stomach... the inflammation, the bleeding.... all compromise your immune system. So any additional irritant to your immune system is going to cause you more problems than in someone who does not have your other physical issues.
May I ask....why you have inflammation around the staples that were used for your gastric bypass? Could you be allergic to the metal? I wonder about this because I believe surgical staples are titanium and most dental implants are also titanium. IF all of that is accurate then you could be having a reaction to the metal implants which could be part of what is going on right now. Does the oral surgeon know about the inflammation around the surgical staples? If not, he should be informed of that.
I too am not a big fan of the ER unless absolutely necessary, especially for dental issues. I totally understand why you would want to avoid that if possible. I think it would be wise to see the oral surgeon tomorrow and be sure to inform him of the staple issue and whatever side effects you are having with the clindamycin.
Christy, please keep us informed of how you are doing. Try not to worry
Originally Posted by cb61998a
Thanks for your input! I thought he was being so myself! & I had even wanted to wait. I had planned on having the extractions done & waiting which would have given everything time to heal before I went back to get the posts implanted. However, the day I saw the oral surgeon for a consult so he could get his X-Rays & see me before the extractions were to be done that afternoon....The oral surgeon actually called my general Dentist & said he would feel better doing the extractions & placing the post at the same, so it would be LESS stressful, traumatic & painful on me, speaking in the long term...And he made my appt. for the very next day. (I was suppose to be going out of the Country to visit friends, for a month. Not now!) I was ok to wear dentures, wait, go back later, etc. So...Since the infection did not show up on any images... When do you think, generally speaking of course, he would/could/might have realized just how involved the "massive infection" was? After the extractions or after drilling the posts into my jawbone? And when he did realise, in your opinion, would it have been best to have stopped & waited? ( I mean, I had already paid him in full, so that couldn't have been an issue). The problem I have also have is, I made sure he & his staff were well aware that I have absorption problems, I had gastric bypass in 2001 (& wish I could go back...but..) So now, I have a very small stomach that IS ALWAYS irritated along the line where the staples are. ( My gastroenterologist has informed me after each endoscopy that it is always inflamed to the point it looks as if it could bleed) I have recurring bleeding ulcers & take nexium 40mg twice daily & I am suppose to take carafate 4 times daily, after each meal & before bedtime, but it has gotten to where it gags me & worse, so much, I no longer use it. I have been taking Vit D., 5000iu, for about 3+ yrs due to the absorption problems, I take a probiotic also, it simply states its lactobacillus acidophilus-100 million at time of manufacture...which can mean...it's beans by the time it gets to me..?? My gums are so sore it hurts to touch them with my tongue and if I bend over it feels like I have a lot of pressure w/in my lower jaw & gums... So, should I wait until Monday's appt. to see the oral surgeon (of who I'm losing faith in, not that he hasn't been super nice or seen me/ answered calls, w/ the exception of today...but b/c...I feel like if I, not being a medical professional have enough common sense to think/know/figure out he should've waited...b/c in doing so, would've been in MY best interest, he surely should've known so as well & should've acted accordingly). Or do I need to go on to an ER & try to be seen? (Which I also hate, b/c anytime one goes to an ER & you're taking the pain med's I'm on...many automatically assume...you are only there to "score" some kinda drug b/c you must be an addict...You'd be surprised but I've actually had some to say those words to me...Even though I'm seen by a reputable Dr., not only drug tested monthly & pass...But they also check for the Med's you take & that you have the right amount in your system... Still, some dont care to look at your latest tests/results. Sorry to get way off base there..LOL.. Just know what I have to look forward to if I go...& many ppl will never understand how their actions make it so hard on those of us that do everything the right way..Thanks for your input & help Bryanna! Hope you enjoy your weekend or what's left of it! ~ Christy..