Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome

Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

Seeking Answers

Unread 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Abel_in_Fl

sorry for the quoting, im currently unemployed with no insurance so this has been difficult for me as Ive had to rely on my parents who are going thru a separation and are financially strapped themselves, do you think getting dx with high blood pressure and getting medication would help with the constant headache or should i just try and deal with it and wait until i get it down with the weight loss

and i forgot to mention this is my first concussion that i know of, is there any chance that all this will all go away because i never used to get any headaches or have problems with sleeping

is it my weight that could have made it this severe? because i was told i was fine after i hit my head and knew what was going on but then again we were inebriated.
Abel_in_Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Mark in Idaho
Elder

Getting blood pressure meds may help you. They are not very expensive. The bigger cost will be the doctors visit. Maybe the neurologist will prescribe the BP meds if you call the office. It's worth a call.

59 years old, retired due to disability, married 34 years, father of three, grandfather of four, Suffered a serious concussion at 10 years old (1965) stopped most driving after concussion at 46 years old (2001), Post Concussion Syndrome/Multiple Concussion/Impact Syndrome with PTSD, immediate/short term visual and auditory memory problems, slowed processing speed, visual/auditory processing difficulties, insomnia, absence seizures, OCD, 14 concussions since first concussion at 8 years old, Taking paroxetine for 14 years and gabapentin for 12 years. Added L-Tryptophan and stopped paroxetine after 3 months of tapering. I currently take 500 mgs of L-Tryptophan AM, 500 mgs noon, and 500 mgs PM.

As of Nov 15th, Due to high stress issues resulting in PTSD, docs put me on 3 meds. Clonazepam but only for 30 days ) .125 mgs twice daily (Doc presc. .25 mgs 2x daily but half a tablet is good) , citalopram (Celexa), an SSRI , and olanzapine (Zyprexa), an atypical anti-psychotic that usually causes weight gain before bed. I lost over 30 pounds since mid July. It just stopped the weight loss. Took me off the gabapentin. I am feeling better than I have in years.

This great feeling only lasted a month. Back to the same old PCS doldrums.

May 2014, I am off the olanzapine due to a 6 fold price increase. Back on 600 mgs of gabapentin before bed.

I am also taking L-Theanine to help with GABA regulation

"Be Still and Know That I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
rmschaver

Default Ask for atenol

It is cheap about 4 bucks at walmart.

To see the divine in the moment.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
Theta Z

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.

Re: " i'm currently unemployed with no insurance so this has been difficult for me."
__________________________________________________ __________
Abel, if you are in fact a Manatee County resident of FLA., please see this weblink for a Free Clinic, primary care medical care clinic, available one half-day/month on the 3rd Saturday of each month : http://www.wecaremanatee.org/patient...ry-care-clinic

http://www.wecaremanatee.org/patient...ry-care-clinic
Theta Z is offline   Reply With Quote