Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Multiple Sclerosis > The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

Ladies only, please--fungal infections.

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
azoyizes
Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Can you get a comfy bra that is mostly cotton? That would keep a layer between the skin and also absorb moisture and help avoid the possibility of fungal infections.
Wearing a bra, even a cotton exercise bra, actually brings on the welts. I've been going without a bra for about a year now. We use fragrance-free laundry soap and dryer sheets. I use fragrance-free deodorant and soap.

It's like something in my body is attacking my skin. I get the welts also on my arms and sometimes my legs, but nothing like under my breasts.

azoyizes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (11-04-2012), Kitty (11-04-2012)
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
azoyizes
Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flowers View Post
I get this too but I was told it was yeast. I usually break out when I get really stressed. I've been using A and D ointment. I've had it for years and it can be painful. I have scars from mine. It's miserable and sometimes I get it under the fold of the stomach.
I know, it's terrible. I think my doctor has called it a yeast infection and a fungal infection. I've also got scars.

Thanks, I'll try A&D ointment.

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
azoyizes
Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Breezies makes a great bra that keeps moisture from forming. QVC sells them and they're great....especially in the summer months.
Thanks, Kitty. I'll look into a Breezies bra.

Unread 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Kitty
Super Moderator

I wonder if there's some dietary changes you could make that would help?

I found this link.....http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...candida_.shtml

and this one....http://www.livestrong.com/article/15...st-and-fungus/

Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

Lotromin AF did the job for me. It went away and whenever it acts like it's starting up someplace, I rub a dab of Lotromin AF and walla it disappears.

Pic taken by Son n Dil-Virg, Oct 4, 2014.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (11-04-2012), ginnie (11-12-2012)
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Riverwild
Magnate

My Mood:

I have a client who gets fungal infections and yeast infections in every fold on her body regularly. After treating with everything the doc recommended, we started using Nystatin powder after every shower/bath/ change of Depends. It's a prescription medication but it really helped her a lot. The folds have to be washed and dried thoroughly and then powdered minimally, and the powder is rubbed in lightly. She hasn't had any problems since we started using the powder. Might be worth a shot to ask your doctor about it.

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-05-2012), ginnie (11-12-2012), Kitty (11-05-2012), SallyC (11-05-2012)
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

Speaking of a fungus among us,,,Hi Riverrrr..

Pic taken by Son n Dil-Virg, Oct 4, 2014.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-12-2012), Riverwild (11-12-2012)
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Riverwild
Magnate

My Mood:

I've never been called a fungus before Sal, but I like mushrooms, so it's all good!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-12-2012), SallyC (11-12-2012)
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
mrsD
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

When the skin seems to get away from you... that is --always has some irritation---it might be a good idea to look at nutrients that support the skin.

Low zinc will result in irritations becoming infected.

Low biotin will also damage the skin.

Low omega-3 fatty acids in the diet, will affect skin because they repair cell membranes.

There are always organisms on the skin. But a good barrier, keeps them from becoming pathogenic and infecting you.

People with poor glucose control also get fungal infections easily.

Biotin doses would start at 5mg or so daily. Biotin is very benign with no reported side effects. Most supplements are in the microgram range, but I'd try higher doses to see if you are in need of it for some reason.

Zinc can be depleted from the body by drugs. The most common are ACE inhibitors, and acid blocking drugs for heartburn. OptiZinc is the most easily tolerated zinc and not expensive. One a day is typically enough for most people.

Omega-3s can be in food now, many foods have them added now. Or you can get a quality fish oil, or krill oil and take 2 of them daily. Take with food. This can really help with skin issues.

Welting from pressure is considered an allergic response.
http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hives/a/pressurt.htm
If you have this in other body areas in response to pressure...it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist.

Mama gray squirrel hanging upside down on our flat feeder 2014. She is very beautiful IMO and has a lovely tail. There were a few peanuts in this feeder that morning.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:

Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:

mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-12-2012), SallyC (11-12-2012)
Unread 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
kicker
Grand Magnate

Just saw my doctor - talked about this.

Part of bra under breasts tends to be plastic as in elastic, I avoid bras.
I wear 100% cotton shirts and sometimes use them balled up under breasts to wick away wetness,
I wipe under beasts with tissues or paper towel if it seems damp.

Doctor does not advise, but once in awhile I wipe under-breast area with alcohol wipe (prepackaged from when I did Interferon shots. Caution - alcohol can be very drying. Use only with care.

From working in long term psychiatric facility I have learned never to permeate the integrity of the skin. That means the skin is there to protect me, I try to never picks scabs or anything. Out of boredom, a client used to "pick" at herself. This was not good.
kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (11-12-2012)