Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions A - L > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Nerve problem Please Help

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #41
tamiloo
Grand Magnate
 
tamiloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 3,437
Default

Those of us who suffer from chronic pain are prone to be deficient in vitamin D. Great suggestion to get tested to find out what ones needs are. I was so very deficient with Vit D a few years back that it was almost not found. With help from the doc it raised to normal. I still take D3 daily to maintain. It also is helpful with pain and depression among a few. To find out more just Google vitamin D...
__________________
My best friends live in my computer....
.
Suffered with back problems since birth...6 back surgeries to date, the last one being on 11/2/11. Fibromyalgia, PTSD, Chronic Pain

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo


.
Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

.
Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

.

.
Our Lovely Lola...yes she is a lovable Pitt!
tamiloo is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (07-03-2012)
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
Meggie
Junior Member
 
Meggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 7
Question Re-help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanneuro2000 View Post
Please read carefully; I would appreciate your help

It has been almost 2 years and I am not even getting closer to a diagnostic and thing getting worse. About 2 years ago, I have been feeling some pin and needle sensations in my legs. Before that, I used to feel some sensitivity in my legs, but I did not pay attention. Anyway, about 2 years ago, I started feeling some sensation in my legs, mostly my left leg. First I went to my primary care doctor and she did some blood test for me and she recommended that I stopped taking all vitamins, although I did not take a lot of vitamins. All my blood test came normal. Then the symptom became worsen. I went to see a neurologist, he did some test and he told me my nerves work fine. Then I saw a rheumatologist, she referred me to see another neurologist, which I did and got a nerve conduction test. They did not find anything wrong with my nerve. Then after I saw a neuropathy specialist, he told me that I don’t have neuropathy, he suggested that it is probably my thyroid and another Japanese name type disease which I forgot . I went and got those blood tests and all of them came to normal. He suggested I should see a chiropractor. After I saw a chiropractor and get some neck adjustment, my symptom became worse.

I think what I have may be a never compression. Anyway, it makes my skin very sensitive. The left part of my body is more sensitive, especially my left nerve. I feel nerve pulsing in my forehead (skin). This is the way it used to be before I got the neck adjustment, when I worked out and lift a lot of weights, I felt that my nerve is pulsing in my forehead the left part and my left leg. Whenever I felt those things, I would feel some pin and needle sensations. I mean someone puts needle on me. I usually did not feel it all the times. Especially the nerve pulsing. Right now I feel it more; I think that happens after the neck adjustment.

Since I used to lift weight, I thought that I may have lifted something in my head or neck. I don’t suffer headache. Anyway, they did an xray of my neck and it shows sight of arthritis. My rheumatologist recommended the xray. She told me that shouldn’t cause that symptom. I went to see an orthopedist, he told me I may have a pinched nerve in my neck and recommend an mri. After reviewing the mri, he recommended spine therapy for me. After 2 sessions I felt worse then I stopped. When my rheumatologist looked at the mri, she told me that, that should not cause the sensation. I have seen more than 20 doctors/specialists already without getting any closer.


Here are the symptoms I have
• Needle sensation all over my body (anywhere in my skin, but not all the time)
• Skin sensitivity (left part of my body and left leg more sensitive)
• Needle sensation on my fingertips
• Needle sensation on my toetips
• Feel sometime someone put a needle under my feet (both foots)
• Some scrolling sometime on my left thigh
• Nerve pulsing of my left forehead
• Needle sensitive can happen anywhere of my body, but it does not happen all the time
• Symptom worsen when I workout and lift weight
• When I do a lot of cardio like 1 hour or more treadmill I feel more sensation in my thighs, especially the left one
• Shooting pain in my fingertips, toetips and under my feet

I will appreciate your help

I think it is a nerve problem, but one of my neurologists told me it is anxiety. I don’t feel any anxiety. While I took some vitamin to help a little bit, but I have tried gabapentin, lyrica, amitriptyline, just for a short period of time. I don’t want to take those things, since they don’t solve the underlined problem.

Your suggestion will be appreciated
Hi Jeanneuro,

My name is Meggie and your post caught my eye. I am not a neurologist by any means but have a very basic medical background I am more than happy to share what I know.
Many of your symptoms coincide with parasthesia type symptoms which are many times caused by peripheral neuropathy (or nerve dysfunction) or neurological disease among others. Your worsening symptoms (especially headache) with strain can indicate many things, one being Chiari 1 malformation and/or syringomyelia (the latter is my diagnosis).
Chiari 1 malformation is where the cerebellar tonsils descend at-least, but not limited to 5mm below the foramen magnum (basically part of your brain is getting squished out of the bottom of your skull causing a block in proper fluid movement). There is also a Chiari 0 diagnosis now but I have yet to find the parameters other than a 4 mm or less descent.
Syringomyelia is a rare spinal cord disorder most commonly caused by Chiari 1 malformation where a cavitation of the spinal cord is formed by an interruption in CSF flow forcing it into the spinal cord creating a "syrinx" (similar to a cyst and shown well in my profile picture as a large white oval inside my spinal cord). I highly recommend informational searches from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and The Mayo Clinic (Wikipedia is not a reliably accurate source) for further reading.
I know first hand how debilitating these types of symptoms can be and understand how rare and misunderstood these disorders still are. I would highly recommend a consult with a different neurologist if not a neurosurgeon.
I hope some of this information might help and hope for you the best. Meggie
Meggie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bellat (01-19-2013), ginnie (07-03-2012)
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
2000mind
Junior Member
 
2000mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 15
Default

Hi,

I can relate to your story. A couple years back I had shooting pains throughout my body. They conducted many tests that came out negative. After 6 months I discovered that my mind was sabotaging myself. I had pain in my back, forearms, ankles, knees, and neck. In other words it was fear and anger that was causing my pain. I had been in therapy all my life and used certain techniques to ease the pain. After a lot of hard, hard, hard work the pain subsided. I didn't know what was happening because those mental messages that cause the pain are very elusive. Its like they are ghosts and come during a time that our minds are most busy and uncentered. So I hope that gives you some insight. But I don't know the whole story of what is happening with you. So hopefully more people can give you some input as well.

Last edited by 2000mind; 08-03-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: inaccuracy in story
2000mind is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-03-2012)
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
jeanneuro2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
Hi Jeanneuro,

My name is Meggie and your post caught my eye. I am not a neurologist by any means but have a very basic medical background I am more than happy to share what I know.
Many of your symptoms coincide with parasthesia type symptoms which are many times caused by peripheral neuropathy (or nerve dysfunction) or neurological disease among others. Your worsening symptoms (especially headache) with strain can indicate many things, one being Chiari 1 malformation and/or syringomyelia (the latter is my diagnosis).
Chiari 1 malformation is where the cerebellar tonsils descend at-least, but not limited to 5mm below the foramen magnum (basically part of your brain is getting squished out of the bottom of your skull causing a block in proper fluid movement). There is also a Chiari 0 diagnosis now but I have yet to find the parameters other than a 4 mm or less descent.
Syringomyelia is a rare spinal cord disorder most commonly caused by Chiari 1 malformation where a cavitation of the spinal cord is formed by an interruption in CSF flow forcing it into the spinal cord creating a "syrinx" (similar to a cyst and shown well in my profile picture as a large white oval inside my spinal cord). I highly recommend informational searches from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and The Mayo Clinic (Wikipedia is not a reliably accurate source) for further reading.
I know first hand how debilitating these types of symptoms can be and understand how rare and misunderstood these disorders still are. I would highly recommend a consult with a different neurologist if not a neurosurgeon.
I hope some of this information might help and hope for you the best. Meggie
Thank you for your help. I did a cat scan and an head mri, both of them came normal. The doctor said nothing is wrong. Will what you described show up in the mri? Right now the symptom borders me more in my left. I think it is the left nerve, especially my left leg. I went 2 weeks ago and did a emg test to my left side and I haven't been to my next appointment to get the report. My doctor told me it maybe something in my lower back. I am still waiting to get an mri of my lower back. Sometime I feel some lower back pain to the left side and sometime I feel something is moving in my left leg. I am waiting for the MRI to get an appointment at Barrow clinic in scotsdale. I am also thinking about going to get at diagnostic at Johns Hopkins if nothing work. I think is my left nerve. The pain is more sever in the left side including foot, leg, thigh, shoulder, hand, nerve pulsing on my left forehead, lower back pain to the left.
jeanneuro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
Super Nice 007
Junior Member
 
Super Nice 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
My Mood:
Default What else have you done to look at this?

Have you had any motion x-rays taken of your cervical spine to see what is wrong. Just a suggestion.

Hope all is well.
Super Nice 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #46
pabb
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanneuro2000 View Post
Thank you for your help. I did a cat scan and an head mri, both of them came normal. The doctor said nothing is wrong. Will what you described show up in the mri? Right now the symptom borders me more in my left. I think it is the left nerve, especially my left leg. I went 2 weeks ago and did a emg test to my left side and I haven't been to my next appointment to get the report. My doctor told me it maybe something in my lower back. I am still waiting to get an mri of my lower back. Sometime I feel some lower back pain to the left side and sometime I feel something is moving in my left leg. I am waiting for the MRI to get an appointment at Barrow clinic in scotsdale. I am also thinking about going to get at diagnostic at Johns Hopkins if nothing work. I think is my left nerve. The pain is more sever in the left side including foot, leg, thigh, shoulder, hand, nerve pulsing on my left forehead, lower back pain to the left.
Jeanne, can you get and post your head ct/mri? and is the tinnitus ringing or pulsatile?
pabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #47
bernadettemarie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Default Nerve problem

i have had the same pains, sensations. I've been to multiple neurologists, rhemotologists etc. I was told I did not have neuropathy. I have every symtpom of neuropathy. burning, numbness, tingling etc. Worse in the evening. Been diagnosed with maybe Lupus, maybe not, radiculapthy, and my favorite, "nothing wrong". I'm on Cymbalta and gabapetin and it helps alot with the burning, stabbing pains. My skin all over my body is extremely sensitive. I believe I have a Small fiber neuropathy, however, two biopsies said no. My pain management doctor who I really like says that those tests are extremely inconclusive. I do have herniated discs all over the place, but EVERY doctor said wouldnt account for my burning, shooting, stabbing pains all over. I do believe them. This is some form of SFN...Also, I happen to be an anxiety specialist. I've been a LCSW in the field of anxiety, panic disorder and phobias. I would bet my license your symptoms are NOT anxiety related. I do believe the symptoms can CAUSE anxiety. Get yourself to a good pain management doctor.
bernadettemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-15-2012)
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #48
ginnie
Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anna Maria Island Florida
Posts: 6,273
My Mood:
Default Hi bernadettemarie

Nice to know there are folks out there that don't think these symptoms are in your head. Yes it is the condition itself that can and does cause anxiety. More so when you are told it is in your head. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
jeanneuro2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nice 007 View Post
Have you had any motion x-rays taken of your cervical spine to see what is wrong. Just a suggestion.

Hope all is well.
I have not had this type of xray yet, but I can try to have one if you think it is very useful
jeanneuro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #50
jeanneuro2000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabb View Post
Jeanne, can you get and post your head ct/mri? and is the tinnitus ringing or pulsatile?
here is the link of my ctscan result

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread171220.html

my tinnitus is ringing. I have been having tinnitus since 98
jeanneuro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nerve Problem? Can't figure this out. HELP bent98 Peripheral Neuropathy 41 09-27-2012 03:55 PM
Nerve does anyone know how long it takes a nerve to regrowing hurting Peripheral Neuropathy 23 12-29-2011 09:51 AM
Peripheral Nerve Blocks, Continuous Nerve Block Technique in Orthopaedics Mslday Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 0 05-27-2009 04:38 PM
Nerve blocks, or Nerve stimulator? Nik-key Occipital Neuralgia and other Cranial Neuralgias 27 02-16-2009 02:24 PM
Terrorism Is A Social Problem, Not A Mental Health Or Criminal Problem (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 07-05-2008 03:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych CentralMental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors • Community GuidelinesTerms of UsePrivacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives