Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

Exposed bone graft, what is the infection probability?

Unread 11-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
capsula4

I finally visited another oral surgeon, who seemed to be more experienced with these kind of issues.

I told him my case and about my failed apicoectomy he said I should have had performed a re-root canal treatment along with the apicoectomy, which I think it's a better approach than the apicoectomy alone (point in favor).

I asked him about the exposure and he said that the bone graft should have been placed higher, that probably the surgeon didn't have enough periosteum to cover the graft and then the exposure took place (second point in favor).

He now asked me for a digital Rx to see how much bone looks vital and see if there would be enough soft tissue to cover it. Here are the Rx's thought I haven't showed them yet (next appointment its in one week).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rx1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	7217  Click image for larger version

Name:	rx2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	7218  
capsula4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
capsula4

I finally got the second opinion.

This new oral surgeon saw the Rx and told me that he says everything is alright in spite of the exposure.

He told me that he thinks there is enough vital bone for the implant and that he would add any more bone. Also he told me I should have that exposed bone removed as fast as possible so I don't lose more bone.

I'm pretty positive and happy as well that the bone graft has worked pretty much.
capsula4 is offline   Reply With Quote