Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Peripheral Neuropathy

Ulnar nerve damage, and pain relief help??

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 307
Default

Also i don;t know if i should start looking for a Pain Management" doctor or wait until I see the neurologist this is beginning to feel like the start of a very long road......
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Susanne C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic coast
Posts: 541
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY ANDERSON View Post
Also i don;t know if i should start looking for a Pain Management" doctor or wait until I see the neurologist this is beginning to feel like the start of a very long road......
If you are experiencing a lot of pain, I would look for a PCP or pain management doctor. In my experience, and that of several of us here, neurologists do not like to prescribe pain medicines, and they do not see you often enough to manage narcotic prescriptions which must be written out and given in person.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPSsongbird (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
If you are experiencing a lot of pain, I would look for a PCP or pain management doctor. In my experience, and that of several of us here, neurologists do not like to prescribe pain medicines, and they do not see you often enough to manage narcotic prescriptions which must be written out and given in person.
I think I might try to find a pain management Doc. My PCP doesn't seem to be understanding my level of pain and how it of effecting my whole life. I'm sure you all know how hard it is to sleep with nerve pain raging away...and I would GLADLY take The neurontin/Gabapentin but the side effects made the day to day even harder....I need something like THAT with a minor narcotic type pain reliever I think i would be able to manage fine...but I was a very cranky tired ZOMBIE on the Gabapentin....and the tramadol i just don't think is strong enough.
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
chaos
Member
 
chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 332
Default

Emily - I don't know what state you're in, but have you tried medical marijuana? I'm in CA so it's accessible here. My docs acknowledge I'd be taking more gabapentin as well as needing other things for specific pain if I didn't have it. For me it helps me come home from work and be able to function for a few more hours, cook dinner for the family, get the things done around the house. It'll help me sleep if my nerves are really bugging me at night. I'm able to feel good enough to deal with my daughter's issues and needs, and be able to have fun with her when we have free time. But I do have other pain issues, as well as migraines and anxiety.

You commented on my post the other day. I've been taking a third 300mg dose of Gabapentin after work for the past few days. Not feeling much relief with that third dose, but not being able to come up with certain words started again, I know it'll fade mostly (that's my biggest side effect, word loss). I really don't know what else to do either. If I didn't have to work, I could smoke a little throughout the day and not load myself up with pharmaceuticals. I don't really get "stoned" when I'm using it for pain. There are different kinds out there that'll help with either getting your butt up and functioning, to being able to sleep and all kinds in between. My docs here are totally on board with this treatment, they just keep asking me to eat it (which I do sometimes, I have stuff to make cookies when I get home) or to vaporize it. But alas, I'm that breadwinner and would never go to work "medicated" (which is why I'm saving that extra dose of Gabapentin for after work, I need my brain).

I have had to take Percocet once in my life, about a year ago for the burn that caused my nerve damage. I was completely addicted within 10 days. Tried to not take one and I was in full withdrawal. Horrible stuff those pain pills! But they worked for the pain. I wouldn't ever take it again unless I had the worst of the worst in pain. I have gone to a pain doc a few years back and all he wanted to do was fill me up with pills, as well as physical therapy that made the pain worse. I have never found a "pain" pill that works on me, without addiction issues or without upsetting my stomach too much. Even too much ibuprofen will upset my stomach. I'm a lightweight.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Emily - I don't know what state you're in, but have you tried medical marijuana? I'm in CA so it's accessible here. My docs acknowledge I'd be taking more gabapentin as well as needing other things for specific pain if I didn't have it. For me it helps me come home from work and be able to function for a few more hours, cook dinner for the family, get the things done around the house. It'll help me sleep if my nerves are really bugging me at night. I'm able to feel good enough to deal with my daughter's issues and needs, and be able to have fun with her when we have free time. But I do have other pain issues, as well as migraines and anxiety.

You commented on my post the other day. I've been taking a third 300mg dose of Gabapentin after work for the past few days. Not feeling much relief with that third dose, but not being able to come up with certain words started again, I know it'll fade mostly (that's my biggest side effect, word loss). I really don't know what else to do either. If I didn't have to work, I could smoke a little throughout the day and not load myself up with pharmaceuticals. I don't really get "stoned" when I'm using it for pain. There are different kinds out there that'll help with either getting your butt up and functioning, to being able to sleep and all kinds in between. My docs here are totally on board with this treatment, they just keep asking me to eat it (which I do sometimes, I have stuff to make cookies when I get home) or to vaporize it. But alas, I'm that breadwinner and would never go to work "medicated" (which is why I'm saving that extra dose of Gabapentin for after work, I need my brain).

I have had to take Percocet once in my life, about a year ago for the burn that caused my nerve damage. I was completely addicted within 10 days. Tried to not take one and I was in full withdrawal. Horrible stuff those pain pills! But they worked for the pain. I wouldn't ever take it again unless I had the worst of the worst in pain. I have gone to a pain doc a few years back and all he wanted to do was fill me up with pills, as well as physical therapy that made the pain worse. I have never found a "pain" pill that works on me, without addiction issues or without upsetting my stomach too much. Even too much ibuprofen will upset my stomach. I'm a lightweight.

I have tried MJ (not prescribed lol) and it does help but I have the same problem, as I work FT, plus being mommy. I eat it in cookies before bed and it will help but only sometimes. The last few days my pain has been off the charts. Nothing is truly helping. I just got off the phone with a pain management doctor....WOW. This guy sounds great. I explained my back-story to the receptionist. Injured never from veni-puncture and been over a month. Hospital taking care of bills eventually, but little money and -0- insurance right now.I was transferred RIGHT to the doctor. I mean i actually talked to the Doctor right then and there!!!! I have NEVER had that happen before. I go to a low-income clinic where it takes at least a week to get an appointment and even if you just have a question for a Doctor you have to schedule an appointment. I even have to wait 2weeks for an appointment JUST to get a referral to a Neurologist.

Well, when I talked to this Doctor he said the pain meds my PCP have me on is a ridiculously LOW amount. Which is 50mgs of Tramadol every 12 hours. But I was only given 14 pills to last 2weeks. This doctor also said I should have seen a Neurologist WAY before now. I actually have a SAME day appointment the day BEFORE thanksgiving!! I just about cried! To actually have someone CARE that I'm in CONSTANT pain and want to DO something about it! And not in 2 weeks but today!!! I'll post later to let you know what he says/does **I'm doing a gimped happy dance***
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
KristaQ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Maybe I can get some REAL help. My current doctor doesn't seem to get how this is a CONSTANT pain. I will NOT take an anti-depressant when I'm not depressed.
OK, I guess that was a misunderstanding. But you can see how I got that impression? You said your were in terrible, constant pain but would not take and anti-depressant when you're NOT depressed, like it was, I don't know, some kind of insult to you or something. But, fair enough, if that's not what you meant, I stand corrected now. Sometimes writing alone for communication can cause misunderstandings.
KristaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Susanne C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic coast
Posts: 541
My Mood:
Default

Lots of misunderstandings coming across in this thread. I have been on Percocet of various low dosages and frequencies for years, and have no addiction issues. I have taken several sabbaticals fom my meds with no problems to eliminate them as a cause of other issues like allodynia.It is not responsible to scare people off of something that can really improve their functioning and quality of life. Physiological addiction is unlikely to happen in 10 days if medication is used for pain relief.

Emily, if you have any questions about opiates check out the book Chronic Pain by Dr. Jennifer Schneider.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 307
Default Saw the new doctor!!!

So finally something was actually DONE! He did several nerve tests for felling and a nerve conduction test. Found autonomic dysfunction in left hand whole hand is about 10 degrees cooler and clammy. And have been diagnosed with CRPS complex regional pain syndrome. down side lengthy healing process upside curable
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-23-2012), Susanne C. (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Susanne C.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mid-Atlantic coast
Posts: 541
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY ANDERSON View Post
So finally something was actually DONE! He did several nerve tests for felling and a nerve conduction test. Found autonomic dysfunction in left hand whole hand is about 10 degrees cooler and clammy. And have been diagnosed with CRPS complex regional pain syndrome. down side lengthy healing process upside curable
Great news Emily!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 307
Default new from doctor

Also, The Ulnar nerve was damaged from the turniquit (? not sure of selling) it had been FAR too tight and left on for to long and my radial nerve was damage in my elbow and hand. I have lost about 70% of feeling in the top of my hand and 4th & 5th digits... we're not sure how long it will take to get that back or if it will fully recover or not. so a little bit of wait and see left
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-23-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topical or ointment for nerve pain relief APJH Peripheral Neuropathy 16 01-05-2013 07:54 AM
Ulnar nerve damage from venipuncture in left elbow?? Please CRPSsongbird Peripheral Neuropathy 8 11-06-2012 09:00 PM
Ulnar nerve damage 10 days post CABG johnelliot New Member Introductions 9 04-19-2010 06:18 PM
Drug Combo May Offer Best Relief for Nerve Pain (HealthDay) (Yahoo) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 10-01-2009 03:00 AM
Snail toxin may help nerve pain relief (AP) DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 11-13-2006 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives