Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Multiple Sclerosis > The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

MS + Thanksgiving dinner + what

Unread 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
doydie
Elder

My Mood:
Default MS + Thanksgiving dinner + what

A solid nights sleep! Boy I sacked out. I know my family tried to take all the hosting off my shoulders but I live in a split level and we always have our big meals downstairs in the family room. So invaribly there is still a lot of going up and down the stairs.

doydie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-23-2012), ewizabeth (11-23-2012), KittyLady (11-24-2012), SallyC (11-23-2012)
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

I slept pretty well last night too. My TG dinner was not homeMade but wowee = the best meal I've ever tasted from a restaurant. I think we have a new tradition..yes.

As far as my MS, it raised it's ugly little head for a bit yesterday, but a bit better today. MS never takes a day off..the turd!!

Pic taken by Son n Dil-Virg, Oct 4, 2014.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-23-2012), KittyLady (11-24-2012), Twinkletoes (11-24-2012)
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
ANNagain

My Mood:

I didn't have too much to do. We were having a vegetarian Thanksgiving except some ham for SO's mother. I got the flowers and pumpkin pie at WFoods. I cooked the slice of ham w pineapple sauce. I took the family turkey S&P shakers.

SO hosted, around the corner, and made spinach lasagna and a salad. His mom brought mashed squash, boiled onions, homemade lemon meringue pie and her chocolate chip cookies.

After dinner and dessert and feeding the DW w dishes, we walked over here for a second cup of tea and for SO's mom to visit w the cats- especially Lily, a small mostly white one.

I was quite happy to get into bed last night.
ANN
ANNagain is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KittyLady (11-24-2012), SallyC (11-23-2012)
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
doydie
Elder

My Mood:

We had a second dinner today of all the leftovers. We were terrible adults. There were no vegetables left over except corn casserole. So we had a lot of starches. But it was good! Then my BIL left and it was sister and just my family. My sister was able to see what a family is supposed to be like when they are together. We laugh and have fun, make a mess, clean it up and sometimes make another mess. We allow 6 year olds to make silly little decorations that are perfect but are still beautiful and don't say bad things about them. Men get along. We play rousing games of wheel of fortune on the Wii. It was just full of memories. But then it was time for the final clean up time, load the dishwasher for the last time, put the 8 foot table away until Christmas and then say good by. So now the house is quiet. Even my husband is at Karoake. So it's jsut me and the cat. And that to is wonderful. The kids lost their cat a couple of months ago so they needed some good time with my cat. They aren't used to that from my cat. Adora eve though she was wonderful to me was an absolute terror to anyone who came in my house. Melody even let my grand kids rub her tummy, wrapped her tail around theri legs and let them love her.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-24-2012), KittyLady (11-24-2012), SallyC (11-23-2012)
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
KittyLady

My Mood:

My MS took a 2 day break for me. Thanksgiving Day I was able to cook for 3 1/2 hours and did it all by myself and then yesterday I had plenty of energy to totally clean my house. Now today, MS is back and Im paying for all the work I did those 2 days, but sooo worth it. I been looking for at least just one day off from MS pain, and I was blessed with 2 days off!! Prayers do get answered!!
Flare Oct 2011
Flare Dec 2011
Left disabled after 2 previous flares
Betaseron '02, Copaxone '12, Tecfidera '13
(allergic reaction to all)
No longer taking any MS therapy meds
KittyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-24-2012), doydie (11-24-2012), SallyC (11-24-2012), Twinkletoes (11-24-2012)
Unread 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Blessings2You
Elder

My Mood:

Back in my "old life" (first marriage), I used to cook a 22-24# turkey for the four of us. We didn't need 101 leftover turkey recipes--we had turkey/stuffing/potatoes/gravy/squash until the stuffing, potatoes and squash were gone, then we had hot turkey sandwiches. When it finally ran out in 7-9 days, and I served macaroni and cheese or whatever, my former husband would look disappointed and say, "No more turkey?" Bless his heart, he didn't like a lot of foods but he'd eat the same thing for a week if he liked it.

My now (and forever) husband is happy with whatever I plunk down in front of him, and if I don't feel like plunking anything, he'll eat cereal. We used to have a small turkey for the two of us, then stepped down to chicken. Now that I can't count on being up to cooking, we have spaghetti.

I don't really miss the turkey, but I miss Thanksgiving dinner with my parents, my brother, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins at my grandparents' house. Cranberry nut bread, pecan pie, daffodil cake...mmmm. Wish I could see them all again.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
doydie (11-24-2012), KittyLady (11-25-2012), SallyC (11-24-2012), Twinkletoes (11-24-2012)
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
doydie
Elder

My Mood:

Blessings, cornish hens taste good and are easy. According to what your financial situation is there are some good sides that you can buy in the deli area.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (11-24-2012), KittyLady (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

I kinda miss the old big family TGs too and then...I don't. I miss all the peeps but only for a few minutes, then I want to go home and curl up in a fetal position..LOL!!

Pic taken by Son n Dil-Virg, Oct 4, 2014.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KittyLady (11-25-2012), LisaLisa37 (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
KittyLady

My Mood:

When my sister was alive, me and my kids would go to her place and we'd have cornish hens and all the sides of turkey day. She laughed at first to the hens, but then loved the idea of everyone having their own bird! I miss her and all the times we all spent together.
Flare Oct 2011
Flare Dec 2011
Left disabled after 2 previous flares
Betaseron '02, Copaxone '12, Tecfidera '13
(allergic reaction to all)
No longer taking any MS therapy meds
KittyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-25-2012), doydie (11-26-2012), SallyC (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
agate

I'm really glad I got dropped from my son and DIL's Thanksgiving plans because it would have been stressful. Just dealing with four people, three of whom I don't know well at all (and one is pretty troubled), might have been so tiring that I couldn't have forged ahead with other things I need to do.

I was invited over for a special dinner (ham, but I don't eat meat--they don't know that or don't remember) on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I declined with an explanation about how my sinusitis was acting up, as it definitely was. They said they'd bring over a plate.

Sunday came and went, and no word from them. It seems that the question didn't come up again, and my son hesitated to say anything. I'm glad he didn't. What could he say? "Hey, what about my mom's plate?"

I'd have hated that.

I'm just not used to Thanksgiving feasts any more anyway. I've been sitting here all weekend being thankful for the peace and quiet.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (11-26-2012), Blessings2You (11-26-2012), SallyC (11-25-2012)