Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Multiple Sclerosis > The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

Sad Day For Me.

Unread 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #61
4-eyes

I support you, Sally. Cats can and do get ill, and if they aren't happy, they let you know---usually by peeing on something you love. On the other hand, those complications are fairly uncommon, but regardless, they need attention, and brushing and claw trimming, and feeding and watering. They are also nocturnal and can sometimes be disruptive at night (I have one that I call the "town crier.")

I am 50 and have 2 older dogs and 3 cats 7 years or younger. I probably won't replace the dogs when they pass, and when the cats go (hopefully not for a long, long time!) I will have to think long and hard about getting more. If I do, it will likely be an older cat. I don't want to have to worry about leaving pets behind and them having to be rehomed...or worse.

As Kitty said, only you can make that decision, and only when you're ready.

Big hugs!
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (11-21-2012), ewizabeth (11-25-2012), Kitt (11-21-2012), Kitty (11-21-2012), mrsD (11-25-2012), SallyC (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #62
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

Tanks Kitty and 4eyes..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #63
Kitty
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
They are also nocturnal and can sometimes be disruptive at night (I have one that I call the "town crier.")

YES!! They are nocturnal and are great at letting everyone know!! I dearly love my kitties and wouldn't part with them for anything but it's like having a baby again. You're up every few hours.

Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (11-21-2012), Jappy (11-23-2012), SallyC (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #64
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

That's the way it was with Pal too, in his old age. And when he was up, he wanted me up..

"Thanks for this!" says:
4-eyes (11-21-2012), Erika (11-21-2012), ewizabeth (11-22-2012), Jappy (11-23-2012), Kitty (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #65
ewizabeth
Elder

My Mood:

My cats never go outdoors so they don't need immunizations or even vet visits. They get the diseases from going outdoors or eating human food. I feed them a good quality cat food and they are very healthy and happy. I also have several scratching posts and cat trees in the house and they are as happy as can be! If you ever needed to take them to the vet your DD could take them in a kitty carrier.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09

Video presentation of Rocky & Daisy
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (11-23-2012), Kitty (11-23-2012), SallyC (11-22-2012)
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #66
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

I miss Pal, but other than that, I am enjoying not having all the work of cleaning up after him all the time. I actually have energy to do some things I like to do and I know he's happy and the kids are loving him.

For now, no kitty, but......maybe, down the road.

"Thanks for this!" says:
4-eyes (11-25-2012), Erika (11-25-2012), ewizabeth (11-25-2012), Kitty (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #67
Grammie 2 3

I could thank soooooo many and agree with what they said.
Bless you ..
I am an animal lover and always had dogs. Now living alone I knew I could not have a dog for both our sakes. I did rescue a cat after fostering him to see if a cat and I could be happy together!
WE ARE
You have a big heart Sally !
Linda
Grammie 2 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (11-25-2012), SallyC (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #68
mrsD
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

If you give them a good food, (not the corn based stuff that is common), like Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild, or Iam's ProActive (you can order online and get right to your door), they will not get sick much.

None of our cats got sick much. Sheba lived to 24, Tippy to 20 or so, and Oreo got cancer at 13, and she was the most challenging for treatments.

I think Doydie's and Dejibo's cats are the exceptions, not the rule.

Many rescues take animals from single homes, where the owner has died. In these cases, the cat would be used to an older owner. You could even take a cat as a foster, to see if it works out. Many rescues need foster homes since their resources are limited. If the fostering works, you could keep the kitty. If not, you could return it. The rescue I got Maya from this summer, took in many dogs from owners who passed away...she typically finds homes for most of them. But occasionally she keeps one

You could set up a little platform, for feeding that you can reach.
That way you wouldn't have to feed on the floor. Same with the litterbox, where you could scoop daily and put in a plastic baggie without bending over. Be creative.
Cats don't bark, but a sensitive cat will alert you to someone at the door.. either by getting attentive or running off to hide.
Just sit in your chair, with a string on a stick and dangle it... a good cat toy. I believe cats sleep once adult up to 20 hrs a day.
A healthy cat does not barf much either. I personally don't like the barf issues. Cats have an emotional system that is similar to humans (I read about that once), so working into an empathy and relationship is rather easy. Dogs however, are needy and different, so we prefer cats.

Little Maya is learning about water, the faucets, etc. She is really into dripping water now. It is fun to watch! She is so funny!

Bald eagle in the early morning on vacation 2013 with a fish. The fishing crows were hoping to steal it from him. This is a long telephoto shot from our dock.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:

Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:

mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (11-26-2012), ewizabeth (11-25-2012), hollym (12-02-2012), Kitty (11-25-2012), SallyC (11-25-2012)
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #69
Riverwild
Magnate

My Mood:

hey Sal?
As usual, I'm late!

I am so sorry Sal's Pal had to move to DD's, but it sounds like the ideal situation for him and for you. He goes with someone you know you can trust to care for him, he has younger humans to play with, and you get all the benefits with no more of the problems, sort of like a grandchild!

As for the cats? Mine are on autofeed and water. You can get an easy to clean litter box or even one that cleans itself! They get the shots they need, and the rest is all home care, the Frontline Plus, deworming, teeth checks and such. They don't go in to the vet unless something is wrong, which is not very often fortunately. You can get an older cat from the shelter that has been checked and cleared for any disease, is box trained and no longer climbs curtains.

Orrr, you can just watch them on TV on the Animal Planet and enjoy your newfound freedom!!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (11-26-2012), ewizabeth (11-27-2012), SallyC (11-26-2012), Twinkletoes (12-06-2012)
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #70
Aarcyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
If you give them a good food, (not the corn based stuff that is common), like Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild, or Iam's ProActive (you can order online and get right to your door), they will not get sick much.

None of our cats got sick much. Sheba lived to 24, Tippy to 20 or so, and Oreo got cancer at 13, and she was the most challenging for treatments.

I think Doydie's and Dejibo's cats are the exceptions, not the rule.

Many rescues take animals from single homes, where the owner has died. In these cases, the cat would be used to an older owner. You could even take a cat as a foster, to see if it works out. Many rescues need foster homes since their resources are limited. If the fostering works, you could keep the kitty. If not, you could return it. The rescue I got Maya from this summer, took in many dogs from owners who passed away...she typically finds homes for most of them. But occasionally she keeps one

You could set up a little platform, for feeding that you can reach.
That way you wouldn't have to feed on the floor. Same with the litterbox, where you could scoop daily and put in a plastic baggie without bending over. Be creative.
Cats don't bark, but a sensitive cat will alert you to someone at the door.. either by getting attentive or running off to hide.
Just sit in your chair, with a string on a stick and dangle it... a good cat toy. I believe cats sleep once adult up to 20 hrs a day.
A healthy cat does not barf much either. I personally don't like the barf issues. Cats have an emotional system that is similar to humans (I read about that once), so working into an empathy and relationship is rather easy. Dogs however, are needy and different, so we prefer cats.

Little Maya is learning about water, the faucets, etc. She is really into dripping water now. It is fun to watch! She is so funny!
We all know Sally does not want an animal right now but Mrs.D, what great solutions for a cat owner who had issues bending down to feed a cat or to clean a cat box.

Funny how such simple solutions eluded me. I wanted to slap my forehead and say "duh!" Especially since I have a bowl of water on a counter which happens to be my cats' favorite place.

I will tell DH and we can figure out how to create a cat litter platform. I keep the boxes out in the garage and have to rely on others to clean it.

Now, with your suggestion, I can do it myself.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who made constructive comments! And @Sally, I am glad you are enjoying getting other things done in your life.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (11-27-2012), Erika (11-26-2012), ewizabeth (11-27-2012), mrsD (11-26-2012), SallyC (11-26-2012)