Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

Low birth weight & early social stress increase TOS risks ? A theory

Unread 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
NerPain4

My Mood:
Default hormonal imbalance

boytos, I think you are right as far as the hormonal links to develop TOS.

This is the first time I have heard of hypocortisolism increasing TOS risk, but hypothyroidism has been quite well documented as increasing nerve entrapment syndromes such as TOS :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7810463
NerPain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (11-21-2012)
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
mspennyloafer

yeah i dunno about you guys but my ft3 is bottom of the range

and im skinny with insulin resistance
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
zerodgirl

TOS is a structural issue. I'm not sure how you could relate the issues you ask about to TOS?

It always puzzles me that if you get a DX of TOS that's half the battle. But then get something done to fix it. Spending your time trying to find a reason for TOS is best left to experts to deal with.

It can drive a person crazy trying to find out the whys of a condition when they should be dealing with trying to find a way to get treatment for it.

Just my opinion.
zerodgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
mspennyloafer

tos is complicated

it is a structural issue but some nonstructural issues (aka inflammation, poort circulation, magnesium deficiency etc) can exacerbate the pain

i think figuring out the WHYs are just as important and there are a lot of experts out there talking out of their butts
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
LiveLoveandTrust

I was not low birth weight by any stretch of the imagination, but I did have an incredible amount of early childhood stress and anxiety. I hope this is not true though. I've seen that TOS can have a bit of a genetic component and my baby was born 2 months early (obviously LBW). I hope she doesn't have an increased risk of having to go through this too!
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
boytos

Since early stress and lbw increase the risk of autoimmune disease and stress-related disease, by decreasing cortisol production, it is very relevant to prevent other physical and mental problems in the futur.

I would not do anything for the moment, but metyrapone is a good candidat for restoring the immune system.

Early-life stress may be the real trigger for some. It can explain the late over-activity, the sensitivity to stress before tos onset, and all that.

It's just theory, the aim is to open the mind to new reflexions

Last edited by boytos; 11-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.
boytos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
zerodgirl

TOS is a muscle and skeletal issue. The other things you speak of are not.

Stress can't change or cause skeletal issues neither can low birth weight. If TOS is a skeletal issue like an extra rib or not enough space in the TOS area that's from birth. Not low birth weight. It was a done deal while still developing in utero.

Stress may have some issues with muscle wasting but that isn't a cause of issues in the TOS area.

It's like many years ago some one here tried to say having thyroid issues caused TOS. No it can't. Totally different body system. One could never have anything to do with the other.

Everyone can believe what they want, but if you look at it more from a scientific view it's easier to see how it isn't all connected.

I have 2 science degrees and work in research. I look at medical things in a different way. I can see how the body systems work and how one thing isn't related to another. This goes for many medical conditions. But then we also understand how odd things like TOS and trying to get most semi intelligent (you would hope) doctors to see the TOS symptoms but they don't understand it. At least very few do. That in turn is frustrating for TOS patients and they search and search out ideas on how and why and the answers are there you just have to get the right doctors to treat it.

The WHY really isn't going to help. The HOW do we find a good balance in ones life to deal with it is more important. Once one can find that balance mentally it's a relief because we can focus on getting on with our lives and not always looking in the past.

Sort of a 1/2 full or 1/2 empty theory.

Just my opinion.
zerodgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
mspennyloafer

he's not saying that it is the CAUSE of tos but it exacerbates tos, i believe

that is a completely legit argument

i know of quite a few people who had TMJ for example, you would think is a muscle/skeleton issue but once their thyroid was optimized the tmj pain "went away" (or i would imagine it went way down). things are not black and white

there are studies in women especially connecting pain levels with hormonal fluctuations too.

the pain will deter people from exercising and helping their (muscular) tos

thyroid problems are often associated with nutritional deficiencies which can affect magnesium and b vitamins.. (hello muscles spams/neuropathy)

i could go on and on but my arms are tired
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
boytos

Here I try to present ideas for open minds, it is not worth me saying "this is impossible because it does not match ...", the goal is to stay cool and just taking notes. I present it here because i find it interesting, not to make conclusions.

Second, psyhogenic muscle hyperactivity is a known phenomenon that causes damages to the muscle fibers, fibrosis and hypertrophy, participating in TOS.

Low secretion of cortisol caused by stress early in life can later cause:

- Activation of Sympathetic system, more stress in later life
- Maybve an over-activity, "action-proness" and "perfectionism" behavior to compensate the lack of steroid, wich may result in strain and overuse
- Chronic inflammation and an inability to reduce it during immune response

It's just interesting to try to make the puzzle
boytos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
mspennyloafer

Also there'd be a higher success rate with surgery if tos were strictly anatomical