Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

IV Sedation

Unread 12-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Lynney

Default IV Sedation

I just wanted to ask if anyone has an opinion on IV Sedation.

I have been offered this for an impacted wisdom tooth removal, but in some ways I am more nervous of the IV sedation than having a local anaesthetic. I like to know what is going on and wonder if they are more careful with your mouth if you are awake and alert.....

Anyone had experience of this?

With thanks.
Lynney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Kitt
Magnate

My Mood:

Have had it more than once. No problems. Do you know exactly what you are getting?

"It is what it is, it's not what it was, it's not what it could have been, it is what it is."

Charcot-Marie-Tooth Syndrome (CMT) The Curse.

AKA Hereditary Motor Sensory Neuropathy (HMSN).

"I was once like you and you will be like me."

Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Bryanna
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

Lynney,

I have assisted during oral surgery countless times during IV sedation. The patient is always very comfortable and relaxed which allows the dentist to gain easy access to the wisdom tooth. When the patient is awake and they are nervous, their jaw becomes very tight making access a bit difficult. So sometimes we need to use more force to hold the mouth open when the patient is awake. Waking up from this type of IV sedation is not difficult..... just in case you were concerned about that.

It sounds like you are not comfortable giving up control.... I understand that. However, the experience can be easier, less traumatic and much quicker if you take the sedation. You will still get a local anesthetic which will keep the area numb for several hours post op.

I hope this helps.......
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynney View Post
I just wanted to ask if anyone has an opinion on IV Sedation.

I have been offered this for an impacted wisdom tooth removal, but in some ways I am more nervous of the IV sedation than having a local anaesthetic. I like to know what is going on and wonder if they are more careful with your mouth if you are awake and alert.....

Anyone had experience of this?

With thanks.
Bryanna is online now   Reply With Quote