Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

demanding tests

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
mspennyloafer
Senior Member
 
mspennyloafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 1,459
Default demanding tests

im going to a new neurologist and im going to demand a venogram

is there any other test i should ask for

unfortunately i think i have pec minor syndrome which is pretty impossible to test for

so far ive had (all normal of course)
  • c-spine mri
  • duplex blood pressure/pulse to the fingers arterial testing in various positions
  • standard xrays of shoulder and neck (ribs)
  • emg/ncv normal

so it turns out i had a really old dorsal ganglion cyst kind of hidden in my wrist which is why i havent been able to put any weight on it. i recently had it drained. hope it stays away.
__________________
last felt my fingertips august 2010
.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
LiveLoveandTrust
Member
 
LiveLoveandTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 180
Default

I've heard that scalene muscle blocks/pec minor muscle blocks are pretty accurate for diagnosing where the pain is coming from?
Good luck with your cyst too! I hope it stays away for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
im going to a new neurologist and im going to demand a venogram

is there any other test i should ask for

unfortunately i think i have pec minor syndrome which is pretty impossible to test for

so far ive had (all normal of course)
  • c-spine mri
  • duplex blood pressure/pulse to the fingers arterial testing in various positions
  • standard xrays of shoulder and neck (ribs)
  • emg/ncv normal

so it turns out i had a really old dorsal ganglion cyst kind of hidden in my wrist which is why i havent been able to put any weight on it. i recently had it drained. hope it stays away.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (12-10-2012)
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
mspennyloafer
Senior Member
 
mspennyloafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 1,459
Default

thanks!

do you know if the a p minor block actually loosens the muscle or does it just numb it? numbing doesnt seem like it'd help with my hands im gonna ask for one regardless tho

i'm going to ask for a venogram..over ct, i think a venogram would be easier to request? or maybe i should just go for the ct.

i wonder if with a venogram, do they put your arms in different positions and stuff, should i ask for that

ive put off not going to a doc long enough, this has to be some weird system thing or my p minor
__________________
last felt my fingertips august 2010
.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Haute Mess
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: GTMO
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
thanks!

do you know if the a p minor block actually loosens the muscle or does it just numb it? numbing doesnt seem like it'd help with my hands im gonna ask for one regardless tho

i'm going to ask for a venogram..over ct, i think a venogram would be easier to request? or maybe i should just go for the ct.

i wonder if with a venogram, do they put your arms in different positions and stuff, should i ask for that

ive put off not going to a doc long enough, this has to be some weird system thing or my p minor

I had a scalene block two weeks ago. The doctors used a drug similar to lidocaine but longer acting. Lidocaine relaxes the muscle; relaxed anterior scalene means more room in the thoracic outlet for the brachial plexus. I was able to work through my PT, do chores, and sleep on my left side that day with minimal pain (although it felt like I had been kicked in the neck where I got the injection).
Haute Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (12-11-2012)
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
jkl626
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West L.A.
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
im going to a new neurologist and im going to demand a venogram

is there any other test i should ask for

unfortunately i think i have pec minor syndrome which is pretty impossible to test for

so far ive had (all normal of course)
  • c-spine mri
  • duplex blood pressure/pulse to the fingers arterial testing in various positions
  • standard xrays of shoulder and neck (ribs)
  • emg/ncv normal

so it turns out i had a really old dorsal ganglion cyst kind of hidden in my wrist which is why i havent been able to put any weight on it. i recently had it drained. hope it stays away.
There is a test for pm syndrome but I think Dr. mechanic in Boulder who works with Dr. Sanders is the only dr. that does it. I think dr. Thompson may do it also. I also think its considered controversial and may have many false positives. I definately have a pec minor involvemsnt as well as subscalpularis and teres major/minor. I ease it with exercises and injections, but am interested in the test too. Good Luck!
jkl626 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (12-11-2012)
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
LiveLoveandTrust
Member
 
LiveLoveandTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 180
Default

A doppler checks blood flow and it's quick, easy, and non-invasive. That would be the easiest to get. I would personally refuse a CT scan. MRIs are better, there's nothing a CT scan can see that an MRI cannot and MRIs avoid the radiation. I think mostly though, diagnosis is made via clinical observation as no test is really 100% and most have both false negatives and positives in a larger percentage of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
thanks!

do you know if the a p minor block actually loosens the muscle or does it just numb it? numbing doesnt seem like it'd help with my hands im gonna ask for one regardless tho

i'm going to ask for a venogram..over ct, i think a venogram would be easier to request? or maybe i should just go for the ct.

i wonder if with a venogram, do they put your arms in different positions and stuff, should i ask for that

ive put off not going to a doc long enough, this has to be some weird system thing or my p minor
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (12-11-2012)
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
mspennyloafer
Senior Member
 
mspennyloafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 1,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Mess View Post
I had a scalene block two weeks ago. The doctors used a drug similar to lidocaine but longer acting. Lidocaine relaxes the muscle; relaxed anterior scalene means more room in the thoracic outlet for the brachial plexus. I was able to work through my PT, do chores, and sleep on my left side that day with minimal pain (although it felt like I had been kicked in the neck where I got the injection).
this is fascinating to me, thanks for sharing!! i actually think getting a pec minor block on my left side is a good diagnotistic idea. i thought it was just to make the muscle numb, which seemed stupid but if it actually relaxes it then i will do it.

i think a doctor would laugh at me if i requested a ct scan after coming bakc negative on the doppler..which is why im leaning towards venogram, seems more standard. i dont think a doppler would show venous pooling. and the axillary vein is right next to pec minor. the ONLY reason i think i might have venous issues is from my shoulder being so lax and injuring it and my triceps swelling up once.

maybe i do need a bp mri, people have talked me out of it
__________________
last felt my fingertips august 2010
.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
mspennyloafer
Senior Member
 
mspennyloafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 1,459
Default

well i am happy

got a referral for a venogram and to get a pec minor block

first im getting venogram. i expect it to be normal but who knows. next pec minor block

i think i am going to get them both done on my left side just in case my body decides to freak out

venogram im not worried about, p minor block i need to read about.
__________________
last felt my fingertips august 2010
.
mspennyloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why so many tests zahaaa New Member Introductions 3 01-25-2012 04:01 PM
tests tests and more tests. What is the point?? legzzalot Multiple Sclerosis 13 11-20-2008 09:00 AM
And more tests braingonebad Multiple Sclerosis 29 11-14-2008 07:16 PM
Are there any tests... Megan Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease 8 11-01-2007 06:16 AM
Asking, Demanding, Receiving, Giving LizaJane Peripheral Neuropathy 8 05-26-2007 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives