Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome

Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

Holiday party/get together tips

Unread 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
cyclecrash

Default Holiday party/get together tips

Hello,

I hope you are all having a good day! I'm still trying to recover from my blinding flash from the Christmas tree lights that took me out two days ago. For some reason I couldn't sleep at all that night either (serotonin issue from the blinding light?) and then yesterday my eye doctor blinded me again in the left eye. Head hurts and eyes are blurry and sensitive.

Anyhow, the question of the day is... do you have any tips for getting through holiday family get togethers? I've searched the site and haven't found a lot. I already plan on incorporating Marks tips about wearing ear plugs and staying out of the middle of the room. Great tips! I'm hoping there might be more out there. I know every person is different and I probably shouldn't even be going but I'd like to at least stop by.

This party is normally at my house but this year we are renting a room and are expecting about 20-25 people. One thing specifically I was wondering about... do you think it would be better to take many short breaks... say.. leave the room every 1/2 hour for 5 minutes or so or to wait an hour and then take a 15-20 minute break? Depending on the situation, I seem to have a 1 to 2 hour threshold but I would like to try to make it last longer to get through more of the party.

Or should I just put up with it as long as I can, go home when I can't take it anymore and just expect to have a week or so recovery time?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

CC

Crashed bike on July 2, 2012. Still suffering headaches, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, mental and physical fatigue, emotion issues, light and noise sensitivity, etc.
cyclecrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Mark in Idaho
Elder

Taking frequent breaks to a quiet possibly dark area to rest your senses will greatly help your ability to be at the get together. I suggest you plan on needing the next day or two to rest and recover, even if you do not feel over-whelmed or fatigued at the event. PCS usually causes a delayed reaction to such events. Resting up before will enhance your tolerance.

I know what to expect afterwards so I can take educated risks about such events and my level of involvement. Over time, you will learn your own tolerance and risk levels.

My best to you.

59 years old, retired due to disability, married 34 years, father of three, grandfather of four, Suffered a serious concussion at 10 years old (1965) stopped most driving after concussion at 46 years old (2001), Post Concussion Syndrome/Multiple Concussion/Impact Syndrome with PTSD, immediate/short term visual and auditory memory problems, slowed processing speed, visual/auditory processing difficulties, insomnia, absence seizures, OCD, 14 concussions since first concussion at 8 years old, Taking paroxetine for 14 years and gabapentin for 12 years. Added L-Tryptophan and stopped paroxetine after 3 months of tapering. I currently take 500 mgs of L-Tryptophan AM, 500 mgs noon, and 500 mgs PM.

As of Nov 15th, Due to high stress issues resulting in PTSD, docs put me on 3 meds. Clonazepam but only for 30 days ) .125 mgs twice daily (Doc presc. .25 mgs 2x daily but half a tablet is good) , citalopram (Celexa), an SSRI , and olanzapine (Zyprexa), an atypical anti-psychotic that usually causes weight gain before bed. I lost over 30 pounds since mid July. It just stopped the weight loss. Took me off the gabapentin. I am feeling better than I have in years.

This great feeling only lasted a month. Back to the same old PCS doldrums.

May 2014, I am off the olanzapine due to a 6 fold price increase. Back on 600 mgs of gabapentin before bed.

I am also taking L-Theanine to help with GABA regulation

"Be Still and Know That I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote