Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS)

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type I) and Causalgia (Complex Regional Pain Syndromes Type II)(RSD and CRPS)

Stallate ganglion block = :(

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Morgan Herritage
Member
 
Morgan Herritage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 131
Default Stallate ganglion block = :(

I had my first one. Had high hopes. Thinking at least the electricity type sharp pain would go away. I would have been happy if it were only for a week. Nah. It was a fast procedure. Got lots of IV pain medication but at the end of the day when the haze wore off, nothing changed. I'm on day 5 and still nothing. I may try one more. I hear the more they do, the better the odds of success.
__________________
Synthetic right hamate hook.
Rsd type 2
Morgan Herritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
LIT LOVE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,561
Default

Was it via flourscopy? Did they use Depro Medrol? Did you have a massage after?
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Herritage View Post
I had my first one. Had high hopes. Thinking at least the electricity type sharp pain would go away. I would have been happy if it were only for a week. Nah. It was a fast procedure. Got lots of IV pain medication but at the end of the day when the haze wore off, nothing changed. I'm on day 5 and still nothing. I may try one more. I hear the more they do, the better the odds of success.
I don't know what your insurance covers, especially now that everything will be severly scrutinized with recent insurance changes, but I needed multiple SGB's before I noticed significant relief. They all work differently on us all. My surgery which ruined me was in 4/2008. I am still a mess and am at around #20 SGB, I get a series of 2 or 3 now about every 4 months or so. Initially after about #6, I remember starting to feel a change for the better. It is not a perfect solution but that approach worked for me. It was more about maintaining and controlling to some degree, the pain...it was never about a cure!
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Morgan Herritage
Member
 
Morgan Herritage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 131
Default

Yeah it was fluoroscopic. Had fentanyl 125 units and diazepam for nerves. Lidocaine on the neck. Don't know what he used for the blocking agent. No message just diluaded. Horners syndrome. Sore for a day but not horrible. I have blue shield ppo, private is the way to go. It covers anything I need. I may do a few just to make sure, will not go for SCS. Interventional can only go so far with RSD.
__________________
Synthetic right hamate hook.
Rsd type 2
Morgan Herritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
LIT LOVE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Herritage View Post
Yeah it was fluoroscopic. Had fentanyl 125 units and diazepam for nerves. Lidocaine on the neck. Don't know what he used for the blocking agent. No message just diluaded. Horners syndrome. Sore for a day but not horrible. I have blue shield ppo, private is the way to go. It covers anything I need. I may do a few just to make sure, will not go for SCS. Interventional can only go so far with RSD.
Discuss having him add Depro Medrol if you try again. It extended my results substantially!

Massage after a Block is a good idea.
http://www.rsdrx.com/massage_therapy.htm
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Herritage View Post
I had my first one. Had high hopes. Thinking at least the electricity type sharp pain would go away. I would have been happy if it were only for a week. Nah. It was a fast procedure. Got lots of IV pain medication but at the end of the day when the haze wore off, nothing changed. I'm on day 5 and still nothing. I may try one more. I hear the more they do, the better the odds of success.


I understand the feeling. I hated how the procedure made me feel and no better....It's really more of a diagnostic tool.....you now know you have SIP instead of SMP
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
LIT LOVE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY ANDERSON View Post
I understand the feeling. I hated how the procedure made me feel and no better....It's really more of a diagnostic tool.....you now know you have SIP instead of SMP
It's really not that simple.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dubious (01-02-2013)
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
CRPSsongbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
It's really not that simple.
Not totally, however that is how the Anesthesiologist explained it to me. He said sometimes it provides relief but usually only when it's sympathetically maintained pain. He said only a very small portion of CRPS sufferers have SMP, usually have SIP Independent pain. and when you have the independent pain it doesn't respond very well to the Block but at least they would know which type of pain it is
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
LIT LOVE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY ANDERSON View Post
Not totally, however that is how the Anesthesiologist explained it to me. He said sometimes it provides relief but usually only when it's sympathetically maintained pain. He said only a very small portion of CRPS sufferers have SMP, usually have SIP Independent pain. and when you have the independent pain it doesn't respond very well to the Block but at least they would know which type of pain it is
I understand what he told you, but again this is simplified. I started to dig through to link explanations of why this isn't always the case, and decided it would be a project I didn't want to start. Research RSD, SMP/SIP, and blocks...
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
It's really not that simple.
I would agree. It is not entirely possible to know if ones pain is SIP or SMP as there is no definative test for such. SGB's are a "way" to sometimes help deliniated the issue. And I would hardly agree to any statement that one SGB is diagnostic of one type or the other. I can't make the call for you, but at least for me, I needed close to 6 or so SGB's before I could make the decision that they definitively worked for me or did not. And while I am not pain-free, my pain is much better than it was in comparison to the pre-SGB days. I get SGB's (2-3 at a time) about every 4 or 5 months. I feel (trending) better in the 1 month post-block and then variable at 2-3 months post-block and then miserable by 3-4 months. And then just like the movie "Groundhog Day," I get another series and life goes on in a better way. I understand that everyone's experience is different and I am both happy and (feel) guilty that my situation temporarily improves with intervention while others do not but I guess my point is that one should not shoot down the procedure after only one attempt!
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LIT LOVE (01-03-2013)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After only one ganglion block. lefty Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 5 01-24-2011 11:13 PM
Stellate Ganglion Block Behind Me olecyn Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 9 10-09-2007 05:26 PM
Ganglion Block ON HOLD? olecyn Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 10 10-03-2007 07:23 AM
I had my ganglion neck block Desi Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 23 07-09-2007 08:42 PM
question about ganglion block debbiehub Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 9 05-03-2007 12:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives