Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

dental biopsy

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
kesmin
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 3
Default dental biopsy

Hi, just after a bit of advice re recovery time,
i noticed a boney lump over my upper canine about 12 weeks ago, went to dentist who took x-rays and referred me to max fax, this lump is completley painless.
consultant wasnt sure what it was, no history of trauma, no infection basically good teeth, there is also a 'cystic' looking area on x-ray between my inscisor and canine, any way he wants to remove part of the boney lump to see what that tells them rather than just wade in, as a nurse i do understand the caution even if the thought of going through my mouth being poked about with twice ( dental phobia!) is a little frustrating.
so next monday i will be having this intial bit done, i have asked my boss for the following day off as my job involves much talking and i would rather not ring in sick at short notice.
today i have covered said shift but the nurse doing it told me her daughter had had something similar where they shaved bone off and she was off work for a week due to swelling and not being able to talk and i'm wondering how likely i'll need more time off than i think!
many thanks.
kesmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,951
My Mood:
Default

Hi kesmin,

FYI... the canine and the incisor are the same tooth just different names. With regard to the "radiographic" cystic area between two teeth.... are either of those teeth root canaled or heavily restored with large fillings or crowns? Are they sure it's a cyst and not a radiopaque image of a bony growth which has grown on the buccal (the cheek side) above the tooth? Sometimes these growths can be seen on xrays.

Most people have a boney lump or bony ridge above their upper canine teeth. Which is normal. Some people have what is called Buccal Exostosis or Tori. This is a normal (benign) bony proturberance that can appear in various areas of the mouth. Sometimes it is located on the buccal side (the cheek side) along the alveolar ridge. Usually above the canines and premolars. They can be in one area or numerous areas. It can be on one side of the mouth or both sides of the mouth.

Here is a picture of buccal exostosis. This person has many along the alveolar ridge.
http://www.maxillofacialcenter.com/B...exostosis.html

You can google buccal exostosis pictures for more views of these.

The oral surgeon should be familiar with this type of growths as they are very common. Is there some reason why there would be some pathology associated with this lump.... infection, trauma,.... has the lump appeared suddenly and/or is it growing?

I have many dental patients who have no idea they have these bony growths until I point them out!! Once recognize, they can't help but notice them!

Hope this information helps... hope the bump is nothing

Bryanna




Quote:
Originally Posted by kesmin View Post
Hi, just after a bit of advice re recovery time,
i noticed a boney lump over my upper canine about 12 weeks ago, went to dentist who took x-rays and referred me to max fax, this lump is completley painless.
consultant wasnt sure what it was, no history of trauma, no infection basically good teeth, there is also a 'cystic' looking area on x-ray between my inscisor and canine, any way he wants to remove part of the boney lump to see what that tells them rather than just wade in, as a nurse i do understand the caution even if the thought of going through my mouth being poked about with twice ( dental phobia!) is a little frustrating.
so next monday i will be having this intial bit done, i have asked my boss for the following day off as my job involves much talking and i would rather not ring in sick at short notice.
today i have covered said shift but the nurse doing it told me her daughter had had something similar where they shaved bone off and she was off work for a week due to swelling and not being able to talk and i'm wondering how likely i'll need more time off than i think!
many thanks.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
kesmin
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 3
Default many thanks

Hi, thank you for your response.
I had realised after my post I had the tooth names wrong, too used to the UK numbering system! the radiotranslucent area is between my right upper 2 And 3.
the lump did come up suddenly and was initially very ' sharp' it continues to grow but more as though the surrounding area is catching up with the point and smoothing out, it's half a pea size.
initially I felt that it was nothing but sensibly got it checked, when the dentist didn't know what it was I just thought, with no disrespect, that she was young and when I saw someone who had been in practice longer they would know.
having done much reading my money is on OKC, fast growing and the most common location in the maxilla.
I had looked at tori Etc but not that.
No root canal, cap crown or even a filling in that area, two small fillings is all I have, one upper left 7 And lower right 5, always had really good teeth, none impacted. the max fax guy did initially think infection or trauma but after much looking and imaging this has been excluded at this time, his words were ' there is something going on with your jaw I' m just not sure what' and ' we are still gathering info' hence the shaving for histology.
I' m not concerned as the odds are so long for malignancy that it's not worth going there! more concerned that this procedure will keep me off work for more than 24 hours due to the talking,( and frightening my patients looking like I've had a punch in the mouth!)
many thanks,
Mel
kesmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
mrsD
Super Moderator
 
mrsD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 27,642
Lightbulb

You might want to get some blood work done.

Elevated alkaline phosphatase may be present and hint at
a systemic condition called Paget's disease. Often this is silent (in early cases)
except for the deposition of calcium in places around the body along any bone surface.
__________________
aka mrsdoubtfyre
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.-- Galileo Galilei

.
Bald eagle in the early morning on vacation 2013 with a fish. The fishing crows were hoping to steal it from him. This is a long telephoto shot from our dock.
************************************
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:


.


************************************
Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:


.
mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-09-2013)
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
kesmin
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You might want to get some blood work done.

Elevated alkaline phosphatase may be present and hint at
a systemic condition called Paget's disease. Often this is silent (in early cases)
except for the deposition of calcium in places around the body along any bone surface.
many thanks mrsD, I have had bloods done and all was normal on that front, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about probably just a cyst with a slightly strange presentation, it,s just the inconvenience, rubbish patient me!
kesmin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (01-09-2013)
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,951
My Mood:
Default

Hi Mel,

An Odontogenic Keratocyst is very possible. They are found in the mandible more so than the maxilla, but I've seen them in both areas in various sizes.

There are actually several different types of bony cysts that take on a similar appearance. Usually an MRI can help differentiate between the types. Did your oral surgeon do an MRI?

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by kesmin View Post
Hi, thank you for your response.
I had realised after my post I had the tooth names wrong, too used to the UK numbering system! the radiotranslucent area is between my right upper 2 And 3.
the lump did come up suddenly and was initially very ' sharp' it continues to grow but more as though the surrounding area is catching up with the point and smoothing out, it's half a pea size.
initially I felt that it was nothing but sensibly got it checked, when the dentist didn't know what it was I just thought, with no disrespect, that she was young and when I saw someone who had been in practice longer they would know.
having done much reading my money is on OKC, fast growing and the most common location in the maxilla.
I had looked at tori Etc but not that.
No root canal, cap crown or even a filling in that area, two small fillings is all I have, one upper left 7 And lower right 5, always had really good teeth, none impacted. the max fax guy did initially think infection or trauma but after much looking and imaging this has been excluded at this time, his words were ' there is something going on with your jaw I' m just not sure what' and ' we are still gathering info' hence the shaving for histology.
I' m not concerned as the odds are so long for malignancy that it's not worth going there! more concerned that this procedure will keep me off work for more than 24 hours due to the talking,( and frightening my patients looking like I've had a punch in the mouth!)
many thanks,
Mel
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lip Biopsy villier Peripheral Neuropathy 2 10-14-2012 04:31 AM
Bad Biopsy duarte1985 Peripheral Neuropathy 28 07-19-2012 05:49 PM
muscle biopsy rumpled Myasthenia Gravis 18 10-19-2010 01:30 PM
Muscle Biopsy nemsmom Myasthenia Gravis 12 02-18-2009 12:34 AM
Biopsy results... Yorkiemom Peripheral Neuropathy 34 04-26-2007 09:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives