Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson's Disease Tulip

White Rat Registry

Unread 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
reverett123
In Remembrance

My Mood:
Default COCONUT OIL update

I am winding up Day 3 and am doing great! I know that I tend to get exuberant at times when testing these things, but this time it is different.

For example, there is the sleep paralysis. That's new.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I started with a tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning and a second in the evening. There was an unmistakable improvement in general abilities across the board. That has continued with a slightly lower rate of increase through Day 2 and 3. On Day 2 I reduced the coconut oil to a teaspoon in morning and another in the afternoon. And today I used a single teaspoon this morning. I would estimate my general improvement at 40% to 50% overall thus far.

I am walking better. And this morning I got up walking noticeably better. While still a bit wobbly I did not feel that I was about to falll. When I stood up from the bed to head for the living roon I did not have to try repeatedly. I did not urinate the absurd quatities that had become my norm. Prostate is down. Came "ON" a little slower than usual (2 hr vs 1 hr). Stuck to my normal regimen except that I think that I dropped one sinemet CR from the noon batch. I also found myself making a mental note to take the next ones instead of showing up early like I was at the methadone clinic.

And I have been working! Doing chores without havng to be asked! Making Mommy proud! Leaving the house on a jaunt to town alone without trepidation!

So what is going on? Thus far I am hanging with the ketone energy to the mitochondria hypothesis. It doesn't feel like a dopamine thing. Minimal DKs today, for example. Time may tell.

That leaves the sleep paralysis. Or, as it is often named, the night terrors. That is when a part of your mind is waking up and a part is not. And that part of you that is waking up thinks the other par is some kind of hobgoblin trying to strangle you. Look it up in Wikipedia.

I don't think that the coconut oil is causing it. In part because I have been experiencing it for about a year as a part of what Laura and I have been trying to figure out own weird variation. It ties in to REM sleep disorder and periodic paralysis and is interesting as hell. But with luck you will never need to know that. But it isn't fatal and you wake up in due time none the worse etc.

Bottom line, so far it works!! For me. But if you look back at Lab Rat's earlier trial, he noticed nothing. That will have to be looked at once we are sure that I've not gone off me nut.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (01-24-2013), lab rat (01-24-2013)
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Aunt Bean

My Mood:

I took cocoanut oil for several weeks while dad and I were still in Florida..it helped my functioning, but was so long ago now..can't remember how. Do remember that suddenly my body didn't want me to take it anymore and I stopped, but the good results lasted. I was eating lots of fresh papaya then too and kayaking alot (lots of sunshine and exercise) Seems I was taking a TBs dose of coconut oil (perhaps it was too much for me)
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
aab45

Default prunes for constipation

I use stewed prunes and bran cereals to avoid the severe chronic constipation I experienced for years.
aab45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
reverett123
In Remembrance

My Mood:
Default COCONUT OIL update

Yesterday, (Day 4), was a good one. My wife and I took off, something we had not felt that we could do for several months. Hit a couple of flea markets and did lunch. I did well. Took a total of two teaspoons of coconut oil split between morning and afternoon. Got back home about 5:00 PM with slight OFF but good to go again by 6:00 PM.

Something that needs to be noted is that to minimize the chances of a meltdown, I opted to reproduce the previous day's regimen and added two ginseng caps as before. I realized that this could be a major factor and want to bring it up now. Until further notice I am actually testing the coconut oil plus the ginseng and have been doing so since Day 2.

One thing of value to mention. Yesterday for the first time, I noted a slight GI disturbance just short of diarrhea. Like many of you, constipation has been a constant companion, but if yesterday was not an abberation the GI tract will be taking care of itself from now on.

Am iced in today and chilling out with the same dose as yesterday.
-Rck
PS - Slept well.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
reverett123
In Remembrance

My Mood:
Default COCONUT OIL, Days 5 & 6

Day 5 was wintry and I stayed in the burrow. Nearly mad with cabin fever but I soldiered on. Symptoms remained low. Today is Day 6 and symptoms remain low. Took longer to turn on this morning (two hours or so). Took ginseng and came on in minutes. Decided that I need to get some idea as to how much of the effect is from ginseng and how much from coconut oil. So I plan to try today with just the ginseng and tomorrow with just the oil. Approaching noon and seem to be doing well.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (01-26-2013)
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
Nan Cyclist

Neupro patch 4 mg

I started Neupro on January 12, putting on the patch in the morning. For months I have been experiencing a general nausea that last four-six hours in the late morning and early afternoon. The nausea disappeared from the very first day with the patch and has not returned! I have had no negative side effects from the Neupro patch so far. My thinking appears clearer. I have a ton more energy than I had before. For example, I went snowshoeing for four days in the mountains and still had energy at the end. Three days later I went skiing for three days and although weary, I skied until the end of the day on the third day. So far so good.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
reverett123 (01-26-2013), soccertese (01-27-2013)
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #27
Songfellow

I started wearing a 6 mg NeuPro patch a couple of days ago. I do feel a bit stronger but my insomnia seems to be getting worse. The good news is that I felt well enough to go outside and shovel a bit of snow yesterday.
Songfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
reverett123 (01-27-2013)
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #28
johnt

For the benefit of those unfamiliar with Neupro (rotigotine)

6 mg/24hr patch is roughly equivalent to 300 mg levodopa

For further levodopa equivalents see:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread169655.html

John
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Drevy

Default Rhodiola rosea

Aunt Bean,

How long have you been using the Rhodiola rosea, and at what dosage ?
Drevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
Aunt Bean

My Mood:

Been on Rhodiola rosea since Dec 21st...I am very impressed. Has cut back my need for fava tops tincture and some days don't take any. Energy level up almost to my old self. Started with 1 capsule of 400mg a day (Swanson Brand) now take 1/2 capsule one day and a whole the next (200/400) Just found a liquid extract at Earth Fare Market , but haven't even had a chance to open it yet (1 oz $10.) Friend still doing well on it also
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Drevy (01-31-2013)