Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

Breathing during flight descent

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
Anacrusis
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbi_doc View Post
yes, I've flown since sev'l times, but after a serious walking/dypsneic problem in the Charlotte Va airport, ................................

BTW, all my pulmonary tests taken via 2 pulmonologists were normal; immediately after that last one, I got up to leave, was so weak I almost fell....2 nurses helped me to a stool to recover,........................

but then you know 'bout that, right??..........
Dottie
Dottie,

So I´m assuming only people with respiratory MG problems get exacerbated weakness from flying, do you think that is about right?
I´ve flown with general weakness and didn´t notice a thing until it had spread and begun to affect diaphragm weakness................

Do you think like Annie says, once you are on the ground later on, things don´t necessarily show on the tests, or are you in fact saying that you got pulmonary testing immediately after the flight that affected you so much?.................

Yes I should know about trying hard enough!!! I´m the one that river rafted 21 days down that majestic Grand Canyon and a few years later could not even stir a casserole! Wouldn´t that just be a new thread full of fine examples of how people have been told just to try that little bit harder?!!!..........

You mentioned not being able to get up from your seat on this flight and being embarrassed, would you say then that you were mostly concerned about the physical effects on your body after taking this flight?


Anacrusis
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
korbi_doc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: shiloh, tn
Posts: 91
My Mood:
Default

Anacrusis, yes I concur that those of us with resp pblms do get this severity of weakness & possible dypsnea when flying.....can be very scary....I sure did quite often, not just flying but also when just going out to barn to feed my horses, & come back hardly able to walk or breathe.....& no tests for me then, testing is never done when we are in situations; make an app't, go in, sit & wait, then called in to see Dr...yeah right!! they seldom see us in a crisis.......

& yes, after that grand canyon flight, sure was concerned bout my physical being after the flight...had never had such an extreme reactional weakness & feeling of immobility before...always wondered if it being that small plane with those huge vertical windows had anything to do with it..or pressure pblms...didn't know 'til the dx was finally concluded! As I said before "hindsight really is 20:20".....

It certainly is difficult to deal with this disease, ppl do not understand if they do not actually see it happen....
Looking back, I bet that river rafting was one memorable trip....I felt that way going down the canyon on mules....had fun then.....

Hope you have a good weekend/holiday

Dottie




Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacrusis View Post
Dottie,

So I´m assuming only people with respiratory MG problems get exacerbated weakness from flying, do you think that is about right?
I´ve flown with general weakness and didn´t notice a thing until it had spread and begun to affect diaphragm weakness................

Do you think like Annie says, once you are on the ground later on, things don´t necessarily show on the tests, or are you in fact saying that you got pulmonary testing immediately after the flight that affected you so much?.................

Yes I should know about trying hard enough!!! I´m the one that river rafted 21 days down that majestic Grand Canyon and a few years later could not even stir a casserole! Wouldn´t that just be a new thread full of fine examples of how people have been told just to try that little bit harder?!!!..........

You mentioned not being able to get up from your seat on this flight and being embarrassed, would you say then that you were mostly concerned about the physical effects on your body after taking this flight?


Anacrusis
korbi_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (12-21-2012)
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #23
Anacrusis
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Anacrusis, For people who get such severe symptoms while flying, it's recommended that you have oxygen while on a plane!
BTW......

Had an appointment with the phd head of neurology department at the hospital and just mentioned these problems and previous problems with breathing´in´

He said that if what I had was neurological then it would have shown on the electrophysiological tests. And I did not match with MG patients because I had had breathing problems during the day and not really anything at night.
He said that Mestinon can work in a placebo fashion when questioned why it was working so well with my breathing symptoms.

I sincerely hope that was the last time I have this trouble flying abroad and if I do get it again then it will be on the outward journey and goodness forbid not on the return flight back home.........

But I am allowed to call the hospital and have the chance to´prove myself´with a tensilon test, new SFEMG or some sort of blind Mestinon test or other if symptoms get worse again.

Thanks,


Anacrusis

PS
I didn´t bother to tell him I was scheduled for a pulmonologist appointment in a couple of days
because I´m quite sure he thought that it wasn´t necessary.

Last edited by Anacrusis; 01-24-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: doctor´s title correction
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
Maiden8680
Junior Member
 
Maiden8680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 52
My Mood:
Default

This is kind of my fear on flying now that I have been diagnosed etc.

I've flown..6 (6+ hour flights) since 2010, and haven't had any of those types of symptoms. I noticed on my last journey this past August that I got some leg cramps, maybe just from the uncomfy seats, but wasn't something I used to get.


But it's been on my mind on all of those flights. Flights are tough on the body because of those some-what sudden changes. It's one reason I don't really like flying to be honest, but sometimes they are needed lol.

I plan on flying 2 more times this summer (6+ hrs again), but I want to speak with my doctor and be sure. I also don't want my fear to stop me from doing something that I could actually be doing!
Maiden8680 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (01-24-2013)
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #25
Anacrusis
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden8680 View Post
But it's been on my mind on all of those flights. Flights are tough on the body because of those some-what sudden changes.
Good idea, like you say, to speak to your doctor especially if you have respiratory involvement in MG. And for those who have more severe symptoms of those muscles, they are supposed to get clearance from a pulmonologist before they fly.
2 years ago I could not fly because my muscles would not hold me upright long enough.
In the meanwhile you have a good flight
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
Anacrusis
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 474
Default

Had my´normal´pulmonologist test for future referencing.

The pulmonologist who is actually an open minded COPD and asthma specialist was interested in the following as well, and referred to them as neuromuscular problems:

Breathing problems starting a few years back with 9 consecutive antibiotic treatments
Breathing problems with use of sedatives, flying and during periods of muscle weakness.
He knew that it was rare to have restrictive breathing 12-16 hours after use of sedatives
but wasn´t surprised that with small rechallenge doses of sedatives there would be muscle weakness
always following restrictive breathing in that specific pattern.

I don´t think I had all the tests recommended on this thread but I had at least four (not MVV)

After a metacholine challenge test for asthma my muscles started trembling (especially the weakest ones)
then shaking quite violently and in the end even my head was nodding uncontrollably.

I have to go back for an exertion test and ultrasound of heart next week.
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
Maiden8680
Junior Member
 
Maiden8680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 52
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacrusis View Post
Good idea, like you say, to speak to your doctor especially if you have respiratory involvement in MG. And for those who have more severe symptoms of those muscles, they are supposed to get clearance from a pulmonologist before they fly.
2 years ago I could not fly because my muscles would not hold me upright long enough.
In the meanwhile you have a good flight


Good to know, thank you! I will try to get in with her before I leave (not until June and then maybe July).

I don't have problems with the muscles, and I'm not sure if my respiratory is really worse, or if it's always been at the level it is, I just didn't know it because I only recently started to see a pulmonologist (mainly so I have one in case I am ever in an emergency).


Thank you!
Maiden8680 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (01-28-2013)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timeline Established for Brain?s Descent Into Alzheimer?s NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 07-12-2012 02:30 PM
Rant on American Airlines Flight Ends With Flight Attendant in Hospital (Yahoo) NewsBot Bipolar News 0 03-10-2012 05:30 AM
Has anyone taken a flight with PCS? nightnurse30 Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 11 08-22-2011 11:49 AM
'Black Swan': Psychiatrists Diagnose Ballerina's Descent (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 12-20-2010 07:10 PM
'Black Swan': Psychiatrists Diagnose Ballerina's Descent (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 12-20-2010 03:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych CentralMental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors • Community GuidelinesTerms of UsePrivacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives