Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > General > Social Security Disability

desicion came today

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
bretd
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: muskegon, michigan
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg neck prob View Post
[brett

If I remeber right wasnt aside from depression the problem happend with a back problem?? Did you have surgery on your back? The system is so unfair!!
I had one surgery in 2007 a laminectomy, not sure of the spelling, and a triple spinal fusion S1 L3-4 in jan. 2010.
bretd is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-28-2013)
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
bretd
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: muskegon, michigan
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
It was explained to me that if we decline additional recommended treatments, we are giving the SSA the impression that our conditions are well managed. What one could see as not being able to afford copays, they can interpret as being satisfied with your current treatment. If they see that you are not seeing the other doc for the depression, their conclusion can be that you are satisfied with your current depression treatment, which implies to SS that it cannot be severe.

If your current doctor believes that your depression is severe, he could have you committed to a psych facility against your will.....that bypasses the copays for now.

It's difficult to even guess at the specifics, because we don't know the specifics of your case.

Lit Love has provided a lot of advice in this and your other threads about trying to access services and help. I hope that you can find some help.
I thank all of you for comments, I know your all trying to help.
bretd is offline  
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
mg neck prob
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
I had one surgery in 2007 a laminectomy, not sure of the spelling, and a triple spinal fusion S1 L3-4 in jan. 2010.


wow the system really needs changing --im sorry bret I know it's another big blow!! u still as you know have to appeal it ---u have that right and deserve to paid from a system youd paid into in all those years working. its just a unfair proccess.
mg neck prob is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (01-28-2013)
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
don1956
Member
 
don1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
I thank all of you for comments, I know your all trying to help.
just decided to touch base with you.and see how your doing so far..just a concern member who was like you
don1956 is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (02-01-2013)
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
bretd
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: muskegon, michigan
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1956 View Post
just decided to touch base with you.and see how your doing so far..just a concern member who was like you
hang'n in there Don, I have'nt talk to my lawyer yet on the appeal. I go and see my family doctor today, I am going to ask him to send me to another doctor to help with my depression, someone who can prescribe meds. I don't have the money, thats why I have'nt went sooner.
bretd is offline  
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
razzle51
Member
 
razzle51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 880
My Mood:
Default

do you have depression due to the Pain ?? If so you need to control the pain better .... do you have enough work credits to even file for ssd
__________________
Remember That Life Is Short!!!" break the rules, Forgive quickly, Love truly, laugh uncontrolably, And never regret anything that made you smile
razzle51 is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (02-01-2013)
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #17
finz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,804
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
hang'n in there Don, I have'nt talk to my lawyer yet on the appeal. I go and see my family doctor today, I am going to ask him to send me to another doctor to help with my depression, someone who can prescribe meds. I don't have the money, thats why I have'nt went sooner.

Bret,

Are you on any meds for the depression now ?

I'm not trying to be nosy.........and no one here should disclose more than they are comfortable with. Sometmes it's easier to give appropriate advice when we know more of the story, but we'll still try to help with more generic advice if the details are vague.

Going through this process, you need to understand that if you aren't under a doctor's care for a condition (and that would include regular evaluation visits and for depression would have to include therapy and/or medications), then according to the SSA, it's not a problem for you. They generally only consider a medical issue disabling if it REQUIRES treatment (an exception there would be blindness). If you aren't getting treatment, they will assume that you do not require it, so your condition "can't" be that bad according to them.

If you aren't on meds for depression and/or receivng therapy regularly, then you wouldn't meet the SSA's standards for having a severe impairment. I'm concerned that that may have been what happened......and that you were surprised that they found your depression to be mild when your doctor said it was severe. IF that was what hapened, I don't understand why your lawyer wouldn't have told you that the SSA will assume that a condition is not severe if you aren't getting treament for it.

Sadly, you aren't the first person to post here who might have inadequate medical documentation beause of issues with access to care. Many have suffered financial devastation during years without income waiting for benefits. I've read too many stories here about other members having to declare bankruptcy, losing the family home, etc. The irony is......if you had a monthly SSDI check and Medicare coverage you would be more able to manage the costs of accessing care. It's a catch 22 because you have trouble accessing medical care, so you can't get the SSDI benefits that would help you be able to get adequate medical care. Where's that emoticon with the smiley banging his head against the wall ?

In my general area, several communities have transportation available to help get the elderly and disabled to doctor appointments and shopping. I don't have access to such services where I currently live, but that is part of my planning for my post divorce move. I need to look for housing where I can afford it AND where there is transportation available to help me on days that I can't drive (which is most days).

If you can't afford gas, you might look into free or discounted transportation for the disabled. I hear your complaints about the copays. That's a big bill for me too. Some areas do have free clinics or discounted rates based on your ability to pay. If none of those services are in your area, you may need to move to an area that has more services. That's a big pain and might involve moving away from family and friends, but if that's what you have to do to get the care that you need, then that's what you HAVE to do.

Our health challenges can take over our whole lives. It's not just the pain/disability that make taking care of ourselves and trying to feel decent so difficult..........relationships with family and friends are affected, the loss of employment and the positive self worth that comes from that, ruining our financial plas for our futures...........it's not just our bodies that are affected

Hang in there !
__________________

.


Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (02-01-2013)
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
bretd
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: muskegon, michigan
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
Bret,

Are you on any meds for the depression now ?

I'm not trying to be nosy.........and no one here should disclose more than they are comfortable with. Sometmes it's easier to give appropriate advice when we know more of the story, but we'll still try to help with more generic advice if the details are vague.

Going through this process, you need to understand that if you aren't under a doctor's care for a condition (and that would include regular evaluation visits and for depression would have to include therapy and/or medications), then according to the SSA, it's not a problem for you. They generally only consider a medical issue disabling if it REQUIRES treatment (an exception there would be blindness). If you aren't getting treatment, they will assume that you do not require it, so your condition "can't" be that bad according to them.

If you aren't on meds for depression and/or receivng therapy regularly, then you wouldn't meet the SSA's standards for having a severe impairment. I'm concerned that that may have been what happened......and that you were surprised that they found your depression to be mild when your doctor said it was severe. IF that was what hapened, I don't understand why your lawyer wouldn't have told you that the SSA will assume that a condition is not severe if you aren't getting treament for it.

Sadly, you aren't the first person to post here who might have inadequate medical documentation beause of issues with access to care. Many have suffered financial devastation during years without income waiting for benefits. I've read too many stories here about other members having to declare bankruptcy, losing the family home, etc. The irony is......if you had a monthly SSDI check and Medicare coverage you would be more able to manage the costs of accessing care. It's a catch 22 because you have trouble accessing medical care, so you can't get the SSDI benefits that would help you be able to get adequate medical care. Where's that emoticon with the smiley banging his head against the wall ?

In my general area, several communities have transportation available to help get the elderly and disabled to doctor appointments and shopping. I don't have access to such services where I currently live, but that is part of my planning for my post divorce move. I need to look for housing where I can afford it AND where there is transportation available to help me on days that I can't drive (which is most days).

If you can't afford gas, you might look into free or discounted transportation for the disabled. I hear your complaints about the copays. That's a big bill for me too. Some areas do have free clinics or discounted rates based on your ability to pay. If none of those services are in your area, you may need to move to an area that has more services. That's a big pain and might involve moving away from family and friends, but if that's what you have to do to get the care that you need, then that's what you HAVE to do.

Our health challenges can take over our whole lives. It's not just the pain/disability that make taking care of ourselves and trying to feel decent so difficult..........relationships with family and friends are affected, the loss of employment and the positive self worth that comes from that, ruining our financial plas for our futures...........it's not just our bodies that are affected

Hang in there !
Thank you for your reply, Yes I have been on medications for depression thru my family doctor for over five years, I went to see him yesterday and we talked, and he decided to send me to a psychiatrist. So yes I have been treated for my depression by my family doctor for over five years. I thank you for the insight to people who can help, I was at the salvation army yesterday to get help for my heat, and elc. bills. I have been through physical therapy for my back 4 or 5 times, 7 or 8 injections in my back, the first surgery lamenectomy, and my triple spinal fusion, 6 to 8 weeks at the pain clinic, and my family doctor has been my source for pain managment. I also have had a vocational rehab test done, and my doctor has filed out 3 or 4 rfc forms. All of this since my injury oct. 2005. I am on morphine twice a day and norco in between, and effexor twice a day. Thank you again.
bretd is offline  
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Rayandnay
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 85
Thumbs up Denial now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
Thank you for your reply, Yes I have been on medications for depression thru my family doctor for over five years, I went to see him yesterday and we talked, and he decided to send me to a psychiatrist. So yes I have been treated for my depression by my family doctor for over five years. I thank you for the insight to people who can help, I was at the salvation army yesterday to get help for my heat, and elc. bills. I have been through physical therapy for my back 4 or 5 times, 7 or 8 injections in my back, the first surgery lamenectomy, and my triple spinal fusion, 6 to 8 weeks at the pain clinic, and my family doctor has been my source for pain managment. I also have had a vocational rehab test done, and my doctor has filed out 3 or 4 rfc forms. All of this since my injury oct. 2005. I am on morphine twice a day and norco in between, and effexor twice a day. Thank you again.
With your problems, it's just a matter of time, hang in there.
Rayandnay is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (02-01-2013)
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
finz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,804
My Mood:
Default

It sounds weird to say, "I'm glad to hear that" ,Bret.

Obviously, I wouldn't wish depression and chronic pain on anyone (and not just because I KNOW what that feels like ), but I was concerned that maybe you weren't on anything for depression and didn't have any doctor following that, which would mean that the SSA would not recognize it as being a serious problem for you. I wouldn't want to see you believing that you should get benefits (and waiting even longer) if you did not meet the SSA's criteria.

I'm happy to hear that you have been regularly evaluated and receiving treatment.......even though I'm sorry that you have those needs

The wait, when you KNOW that you are disabled and you can't get the SSA to recognize that, is beyond frustrating. The 3 years that I had to wait seemed like forever.......I can't imagine if it was 7 + years like you are going through.

I hope that your lawyer is able to do something for you.
__________________

.


Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline  
"Thanks for this!" says:
bretd (02-03-2013)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
today is the day eva5667faliure Breast/Ovarian/Cervical Cancer 97 07-17-2014 10:48 AM
Improved Desicion Making roadrunner63 Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 1 09-02-2012 09:08 PM
You will not believe what I did today! legzzalot The Stumble Inn 7 12-02-2009 08:26 PM
EEG Today bams1414 Epilepsy 3 05-18-2007 05:36 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives