Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

Will a bridge fix my problem or do I need a gum tissue graft?? Please help me!

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Help Will a bridge fix my problem or do I need a gum tissue graft?? Please help me!

I had a tooth extracted 7 months ago. *And have been in pain ever since. *Did not know the cause of the pain until recently found out that the gum at the tooth next to the one that was extracted, the gum is recessed causing the root to be exposed. * A dentist has told me that a bridge will take care of my pain, but I'm not so sure that it will.
My mouth pain is wores since they put temp crown on. * Feels like rough concrete all around tooth. *I hope and pray when the bridge comes in in two weeks that it will fix the problem. * 2100.00! * Ugh! * *I've been reading on the Internet that for a reeseeding gum that has caused an exposed root that you need a gum tissue graft. *
I'm just so scard that after a bridge is there and it still hurts then that's it. *Idk! * Anyways I have recently found this numbing stuff that makes it feel better if I put it on there often.
Please help me!
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,969
My Mood:
Default

Hi Marshur,

Which tooth was extracted and had it been previously root canaled?

Sometimes a gum graft is necessary to cover the exposed part of the root. Other times a crown will work okay too.

A bridge is a little different story as it may or may not reduce the pain caused by recession. It depends on the angulation of the crown that is covering the exposed portion of the painful tooth. It has to fit precisely.

Some temporary bridges fit and feel better than others. If the dentist takes his time in making one, they usually fit and feel better. Sorry yours in uncomfortable.

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshur View Post
I had a tooth extracted 7 months ago. *And have been in pain ever since. *Did not know the cause of the pain until recently found out that the gum at the tooth next to the one that was extracted, the gum is recessed causing the root to be exposed. * A dentist has told me that a bridge will take care of my pain, but I'm not so sure that it will.
My mouth pain is wores since they put temp crown on. * Feels like rough concrete all around tooth. *I hope and pray when the bridge comes in in two weeks that it will fix the problem. * 2100.00! * Ugh! * *I've been reading on the Internet that for a reeseeding gum that has caused an exposed root that you need a gum tissue graft. *
I'm just so scard that after a bridge is there and it still hurts then that's it. *Idk! * Anyways I have recently found this numbing stuff that makes it feel better if I put it on there often.
Please help me!
Bryanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

It was tooth number 3 that was exstracted. I have the temp crown on there now waiting for the permanent bridge to come in. There is a pocket between my gum and tooth #4 that is causing the exposed root. So you think that bridge will cover that pocket and fix my pain? Because this temp crown sure has not fixed anything. It hurts worse.
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Also no root canal has been done.
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,969
My Mood:
Default

Hi Marshur,

Was tooth #3 root canaled before it was extracted? Why was it extracted?

The pocket on tooth #4 will not be covered by the crown/bridge. Gum recession is different than a gum pocket. Recession is when the gum is higher up on the tooth than it should be. This causes a portion of the root surface to be exposed. A gum pocket is not recession it is an abnormal amount of space between the tooth and the height of the bone. Do you have periodontal (gum) disease?

Bryanna




Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshur View Post
It was tooth number 3 that was exstracted. I have the temp crown on there now waiting for the permanent bridge to come in. There is a pocket between my gum and tooth #4 that is causing the exposed root. So you think that bridge will cover that pocket and fix my pain? Because this temp crown sure has not fixed anything. It hurts worse.
Bryanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Tooth #3 was not root cannaled. Before it was pulled I was told I needed a root canal, but I did not have the money for that so I told him to pull it. After it was out they said a root Canal would not have worked because it has a split down the middle of the tooth.

I was told there is a pocket about 5 cm wide at tooth number 4. Was told the crown and bridge will cover it and should salve my pain problem.

Also was told I need a deep cleaning. But I did not want to do that because of the pain of deep cleaning.

So right now I have a temp crown on. Do you know what is going to fix my problem of the pocket?

I want to think you for your help!!
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

tooth #3 was not root canaled before it was extracted. They wanted to do a root canal on it, but i did not have the money for it so i told them to pull it. Then when it was out it had a split down the middle of it and he said the root canal would not have worked anyway.

The pocket at tooth #4 is about 5 cm. Dentist said the crown/bridge would cover it.

Dentist did advise me that I needed a deep cleaning and I did not want that. I just have pain there at the sight of that pocket.

Now I have this temp crown on and I'm afraid when they get the bridge in, it's not going to fix my pain.

What should I do?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,969
My Mood:
Default

Hi Marshur,

It sounds like you have periodontal disease and that's why the dentist suggested the deep cleaning... to help reduce the pocket depths.

As I said before, the bridge will not make the deep pocket any better. As a matter of fact the bridge may make it more difficult to clean that tooth which could result in the pocket getting deeper. The purpose of the deep cleaning is to remove the bacteria from the deep pockets in an attempt to get the gum tighter against the tooth reducing the depth of the pocket.

If you have the deep cleaning done after the bridge is put in, the margins at the gum line may not fit well due to the reduction in the pocket which causes the gum to pull up higher.... exposing more root surface. To have the bridge done after the deep cleaning would have been better because then the margins of the crowns could have been made to cover the newly exposed areas.

Reconsider the deep cleaning. Tell your dentist that you want to be numbed up for it and do it either 2 visits (upper and lower on one side, then next appointment upper and lower on the other side)or do one quadrant per visit which would be 4 visits. Then let everything heal for about 6-8 weeks and have the bridge made then. Of course you would have to maintain a very good at home oral hygiene regimen every day and get your teeth professionally cleaned once every 3-4 months to prevent the pockets from getting deep again.

I hope I have explained all of this clearly. Let me know if you have any more questions...

Bryanna





Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshur View Post
Tooth #3 was not root cannaled. Before it was pulled I was told I needed a root canal, but I did not have the money for that so I told him to pull it. After it was out they said a root Canal would not have worked because it has a split down the middle of the tooth.

I was told there is a pocket about 5 cm wide at tooth number 4. Was told the crown and bridge will cover it and should salve my pain problem.

Also was told I need a deep cleaning. But I did not want to do that because of the pain of deep cleaning.

So right now I have a temp crown on. Do you know what is going to fix my problem of the pocket?

I want to think you for your help!!
Bryanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Marshur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default Please please help me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Marshur,

It sounds like you have periodontal disease and that's why the dentist suggested the deep cleaning... to help reduce the pocket depths.

As I said before, the bridge will not make the deep pocket any better. As a matter of fact the bridge may make it more difficult to clean that tooth which could result in the pocket getting deeper. The purpose of the deep cleaning is to remove the bacteria from the deep pockets in an attempt to get the gum tighter against the tooth reducing the depth of the pocket.

If you have the deep cleaning done after the bridge is put in, the margins at the gum line may not fit well due to the reduction in the pocket which causes the gum to pull up higher.... exposing more root surface. To have the bridge done after the deep cleaning would have been better because then the margins of the crowns could have been made to cover the newly exposed areas.

Reconsider the deep cleaning. Tell your dentist that you want to be numbed up for it and do it either 2 visits (upper and lower on one side, then next appointment upper and lower on the other side)or do one quadrant per visit which would be 4 visits. Then let everything heal for about 6-8 weeks and have the bridge made then. Of course you would have to maintain a very good at home oral hygiene regimen every day and get your teeth professionally cleaned once every 3-4 months to prevent the pockets from getting deep again.

I hope I have explained all of this clearly. Let me know if you have any more questions...

Bryanna

Well, I went to a different dentist and he cut the permanent bridge off (2100.00 down the drain) and my pain was still there, so I asked him to pull tooth number 2 because it was in pain. We think it had a hairline fracture.

Anyway, that very annoying pain is still there! It is at the gums right beside tooth number 4. I was told there is a 5mm pocket there. That is where my pain is coming from. It is like an exposed nerve in that hole/pocket. I have been in this pain for almost two years now and dentist can not figure out what the problem is. I am 50 years old and I now feel like I am 80 because of this!

Is it possible that a Periodontal Pocket was formed when tooth number 3 was pulled? I have no other pockets or gum problems except right there.

What can I tell the dentist to look for to help fix this problem? Please help me! I can't hardly live like this anymore.
Marshur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,969
My Mood:
Default

Hi Marshur,

In your previous posts you said you were told to have a deep scaling and you didn't want to do that due to the fear of it being painful. Anytime a deep scaling is recommended there is some degree of gum disease going on. Did you have that treatment done or did fear win out? Did you just switch to a new dentist to have the bridge removed because the other dentist would not do it?

I believe I mentioned in a previous post that the pocket on #4 would most likely not be covered by the bridge and you would still experience pain in that area. Why was tooth #2 removed? What does your new dentist say about the pocketing around #4? Has he checked the health of your gums?

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshur View Post
Well, I went to a different dentist and he cut the permanent bridge off (2100.00 down the drain) and my pain was still there, so I asked him to pull tooth number 2 because it was in pain. We think it had a hairline fracture.

Anyway, that very annoying pain is still there! It is at the gums right beside tooth number 4. I was told there is a 5mm pocket there. That is where my pain is coming from. It is like an exposed nerve in that hole/pocket. I have been in this pain for almost two years now and dentist can not figure out what the problem is. I am 50 years old and I now feel like I am 80 because of this!

Is it possible that a Periodontal Pocket was formed when tooth number 3 was pulled? I have no other pockets or gum problems except right there.

What can I tell the dentist to look for to help fix this problem? Please help me! I can't hardly live like this anymore.
Bryanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bridge, exstraction, graft, gum, tissue

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Bridge Builder Darlene Sanctuary for Spiritual Support 0 07-03-2012 01:16 AM
Bridge Millerprof Dentistry & Dental Issues 2 02-28-2012 11:18 PM
Bridge bkolahal New Member Introductions 1 09-07-2011 11:17 PM
Had a dental bone graft 2 days ago, some of the graft material is leaking. Normal? Nadia_384 Dentistry & Dental Issues 1 05-01-2009 03:45 PM
Terrorism Is A Social Problem, Not A Mental Health Or Criminal Problem (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 07-05-2008 03:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives