Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders

General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders Discussions about general health conditions and undiagnosed conditions, including any disorders that may not be separately listed below.

help with Lhermittes sign

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
ellielgould
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Exclamation help with Lhermittes sign

HI,
One of my good friends is experiencing symptoms that have so been explained by Lhermittes sign after breaking his neck in an accident. He had a surgery right after the accident and he was recovering well until recently when he began to experience numbness tingling and the sense of electrocution running through his body.

I don’t know anything about this but I was hoping to find any kind of reliable research or any kind of clinical trial. So far it seems there is no treatment available. We live in NYC. I would appreciate any kind of educated knowledge concerning this matter and especially anything offering a potential treatment option. He works with his hands and I love him deeply and want to find some kind of solution. Any kind of real support or ideas you can offer would be so greatly appreciated.
ellielgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
mg neck prob
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielgould View Post
HI,
One of my good friends is experiencing symptoms that have so been explained by Lhermittes sign after breaking his neck in an accident. He had a surgery right after the accident and he was recovering well until recently when he began to experience numbness tingling and the sense of electrocution running through his body.

I don’t know anything about this but I was hoping to find any kind of reliable research or any kind of clinical trial. So far it seems there is no treatment available. We live in NYC. I would appreciate any kind of educated knowledge concerning this matter and especially anything offering a potential treatment option. He works with his hands and I love him deeply and want to find some kind of solution. Any kind of real support or ideas you can offer would be so greatly appreciated.
Hi Ellie,

Your correct there is no defentive treatment but there are things to help. Do you know which disc he broke since you mentioned surgery I assume he had a fusion.? Was he ever in a Halo? I had c4 thru c7 --the irony my brother same year also broke his neck in mva. My borther did experience Lhermittes sign---mainly from titling had forward like looking downward or chin to chest ---all that is a no-no. Posture changing helped him DR put him back in a soft collar for a few weeks and it did the trick. This was months after his surgery. If it didint work they were going to try some anti-convulsant medicine as a last resrot. Now its not perfect once in awhile he say's if he looks down it fares up ---i think the main thing is making him aware of adjusting his body to posture changes. I hope this helps!!
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
ellielgould
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

thanks that really did help...Im new to this and I didnt realize I posted twice..Sorry! Ill get the hang of it. Thanks for sharing. I cant imagine how hard that must have been. Im obviously writing about my friend and it really helps to get a better understanding of the physical symptoms but also the emotional effect. Im so impressed by the people on this site who are living with pain and are so kind and open to talking and sharing info.
ellielgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
mg neck prob
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielgould View Post
thanks that really did help...Im new to this and I didnt realize I posted twice..Sorry! Ill get the hang of it. Thanks for sharing. I cant imagine how hard that must have been. Im obviously writing about my friend and it really helps to get a better understanding of the physical symptoms but also the emotional effect. Im so impressed by the people on this site who are living with pain and are so kind and open to talking and sharing info.
No need I struggled on here to when i first came on . Yes great and supportive group. Please feel free to ask as many ? as u want. Sometimes if you went to the forum and type under thread spinal disorder u may get more responses too. Please keep me updated maybe soft collar will help? Do you know which disc her broke? Did he have fusion surgery ?
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
ellielgould
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Default

hey..thanks...i still feel a little lost on this site and weird responding to everyone. i got my friend to go to this fancy rehab place in nyc ...its called sports lab...they treat serious athletes...im hopeful about it. he broke his neck not discs in his spine as far as i understand. could u help me understand more? ellie
ellielgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
mg neck prob
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielgould View Post
hey..thanks...i still feel a little lost on this site and weird responding to everyone. i got my friend to go to this fancy rehab place in nyc ...its called sports lab...they treat serious athletes...im hopeful about it. he broke his neck not discs in his spine as far as i understand. could u help me understand more? ellie
he broke his neck but that means his dics---u have seven cervical disc in your neck c1 thru c7 --my brother also broke c6-7 from mva ---and i had fusion surgery as well c4 thru c7 all this was in 2010 iroically same year he broke his neck. Do you know if your boyfriend had a fusion surgery?
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help concerning Lhermittes sign ellielgould New Member Introductions 4 01-31-2013 10:42 AM
Lhermitte's sign brmr19 Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 3 06-07-2012 05:41 PM
is this a bad sign? valerie1961 Social Security Disability 1 04-10-2012 04:40 PM
Who would sign up for this? lurkingforacure Parkinson's Disease 3 10-10-2009 05:21 PM
cant sign in hELP lasalp Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 3 03-02-2007 05:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central • Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors • Community Guidelines • Terms of Use • Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives