Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Spinal Disorders & Back Pain

Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

New Symptoms From Spondylolisthesis?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
baldeagle9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default New Symptoms From Spondylolisthesis?

Hi, I am trying to figure out some new perplexing symptoms I am experiencing. I was diagnosed with a L5-S1 disc protrusion--spondylolisthesis two years ago. I also have "benign fasciculation syndrome" with many twitching bouts daily.

About 6 weeks ago I developed leg pain, redness, and constant violent twitching in my left leg--went through urgent care fearing a clot as I also have diabetes and hardening arteries in abdomen. About a week ago, I went to a complimentary chiropractor visit, he "cracked" my neck, fiddled about the left side of my body with a tug, and BEHOLD--that night (this is embarrassing, but thank God for the internet) I developed constant butt twitches and pressure in the rectum. I feel like I need to defecate, but it is simply constant pressure. In fact, I can no longer tell when I really need to go versus the ongoing pressure.

I went to a colon specialist yesterday and all looks fine. I had a colonoscopy in September for rectal bleeding--the cause is still unknown, but I did have an **** fissure suspected to be the culprit. A MRI from two days ago, revealed a "mild facet joint on the L4-L5 level" and disc desiccation at the L5-S1 with increased signal in the left S1 nerve root that cold relate to neuritis or possibly focal diverticulum of the nerve root sheath".

Has anyone experienced such from nerve compression? I know only the proper medical tests will yield the necessary answers--I am still waiting on my primary doctor to call (I picked up my MRI report in advance). I'm thinking there may be nerve entrapment effecting my bowels and muscles in that area. Thank you for any input.

baldeagle9
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle9 View Post
Hi, I am trying to figure out some new perplexing symptoms I am experiencing. I was diagnosed with a L5-S1 disc protrusion--spondylolisthesis two years ago. I also have "benign fasciculation syndrome" with many twitching bouts daily.

About 6 weeks ago I developed leg pain, redness, and constant violent twitching in my left leg--went through urgent care fearing a clot as I also have diabetes and hardening arteries in abdomen. About a week ago, I went to a complimentary chiropractor visit, he "cracked" my neck, fiddled about the left side of my body with a tug, and BEHOLD--that night (this is embarrassing, but thank God for the internet) I developed constant butt twitches and pressure in the rectum. I feel like I need to defecate, but it is simply constant pressure. In fact, I can no longer tell when I really need to go versus the ongoing pressure.

I went to a colon specialist yesterday and all looks fine. I had a colonoscopy in September for rectal bleeding--the cause is still unknown, but I did have an **** fissure suspected to be the culprit. A MRI from two days ago, revealed a "mild facet joint on the L4-L5 level" and disc desiccation at the L5-S1 with increased signal in the left S1 nerve root that cold relate to neuritis or possibly focal diverticulum of the nerve root sheath".

Has anyone experienced such from nerve compression? I know only the proper medical tests will yield the necessary answers--I am still waiting on my primary doctor to call (I picked up my MRI report in advance). I'm thinking there may be nerve entrapment effecting my bowels and muscles in that area. Thank you for any input.

baldeagle9
From what you say, I doubt your S1 radiculopathy (for reasons unknown) is related to your L5-S1 Spondy. A spondy is "decompressive for roots still in the central canal but it is a far different story for the exiting L5 roots, in your case!
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
baldeagle9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Dubious,

Thank you very much for your response! All of this is Greek to me, so I got my work cut out in educating myself. I had a CT scan with contrast dye a few of weeks ago; I am extremely hypersensitive to chemicals, certain foods, etc.; so maybe it is playing a role in this somehow. I hope it will end soon, because it is wreaking havoc on me! The doctors I have told about it look at me as if I am an alien. Thanks again!
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
thinkitdoit7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 39
Default Butt pressure

Have you been tested for a rectocele? It is something that happens quite commonly to women where you feel pressure like you have to go - right after you go - and you feel alot of pressure all the time -

Look it up and see if it seems like it fits your situation.

Also, I have the same problem - not being able to feel when I go - I do have the rectocele and my pelvic floor is pulled so tight it is inverted (due to severe levoscoliosis in lumbar spine).

I have tried to talk to doctors about the connection - my bowels and the radiculopathy of butt nerve and ongoing denervation in my spine etc and you are right - they look at you like you are crazy.

I know my bowel issues are related to my spine issues - without a doubt.

The issue you face is how bad is it - and can you learn to live with it?

I decided to learn to live with it. I did get help with the rectocele - and did pelvic floor physical therapy that helped alot.

Please google rectocele and see what you think. Let me know. I have other ideas about this topic from personal experience.

Kelli
thinkitdoit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle9 View Post
Hi Dubious,

Thank you very much for your response! All of this is Greek to me, so I got my work cut out in educating myself. I had a CT scan with contrast dye a few of weeks ago; I am extremely hypersensitive to chemicals, certain foods, etc.; so maybe it is playing a role in this somehow. I hope it will end soon, because it is wreaking havoc on me! The doctors I have told about it look at me as if I am an alien. Thanks again!
Oh, what I was going to add but got distracted, was that 30 years ago when I blew out my L5-S1 disc and had a significant S1 radiculopathy, I remember having rectal cramping and did bring this up to my spine-ortho. I asked him if there was a connection between the disc hernia and the spasming and he said there was not. On my next visit I showed him some pages out of a neuroanatomy textbook which showed the connection; I believe it was S2-S4 roots that contribute to the sympathetic innervation of the rectum. All greek aside, he was speechless! But then again he is a spine-ortho, not a proctologist.
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
baldeagle9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Kelli,

Yikes, I looked up rectocele on the Mayo Clinic and WebMd websites, and I cannot rule out such a possibility. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in the past, perhaps some damage to the pelvic muscles occurred then. Rectocele sounds dreadful--its bad enough for you to already have the spine issues you are facing.

My condition is wreaking havoc on me. I wake up over 10 plus times a night in the past couple of weeks to my butt and rectum having spasms--more like twitches, but for some reason, my behind remains tightened up all the time--it does not relax. I have never had a muscle group remain tightened up for no more than say 30 seconds--my butt has been going on for days as if set in stone. It is beginning to hurt simply from not relaxing. My lower back/legs is now stinging with pain; whereas before, exercises and chiropractic sessions kept my pain under pretty good control.

I am going to schedule another visit with my primary or with a gynecologist. I also see my chiropractor this week, and I did inform him about this in "hazy terms"; something to the effect of "tension in the buttocks". I feel like you do, that my spine issues is somehow contributing. My hysterectomy was nearly a decade ago, but I never experienced a problem with it before--maybe the pelvic region has gradually weakened from it.

Kelli, where you diagnosed by a gastroenterologist or gynecologist? Did you or do you experience spasms? How effective is pelvic floor exercises in reducing symptoms? I hope I am not asking too many questions, its hard to find someone with a similar situation who also has back problems. Thank you Kelli for your help!

Beth Ann
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
baldeagle9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Oh, what I was going to add but got distracted, was that 30 years ago when I blew out my L5-S1 disc and had a significant S1 radiculopathy, I remember having rectal cramping and did bring this up to my spine-ortho. I asked him if there was a connection between the disc hernia and the spasming and he said there was not. On my next visit I showed him some pages out of a neuroanatomy textbook which showed the connection; I believe it was S2-S4 roots that contribute to the sympathetic innervation of the rectum. All greek aside, he was speechless! But then again he is a spine-ortho, not a proctologist.
Hi Dubious

Thanks for sharing about your cramping experience! As bad as my benign fasciculations are, I never had spasms in my rectum for no more than seconds. The spasms/twitches have been relentless and miserable. The spasms are as bad as the rectal pressure, and now my bowels seem "confused". I used to go very regularly as I eat a high fiber diet.

I know I need a new neurosurgeon--I do not trust the one I have. I have never been to an orthopedist yet, I need to do this too. My overall objective is too do all I can to avoid back surgery. In truth, I never known anyone it has benefited, but perhaps there are some out there. One chiropractor took an xray recently on a new consultation visit and said he saw two areas of entrapment, but he was too costly for me to continue to see--he was more focused on making a payment plan than to discuss my xrays (dangling the xray carrot). I see another chiropractor tomorrow so hopefully more light will be shed.

I hope your back is doing well, thank you so much for your help here! Since the colon surgeon I visited with saw nothing, I will try a gynecological exam and gastroenterologist. The colon surgeon said "I have never heard of such symptoms--this is a first". Thank you dubious for your input!


Beth Ann
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
ginnie
Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anna Maria Island Florida
Posts: 6,272
My Mood:
Default Hi Beth Ann

I was following this post, as I had some issues in the past. Please re-consider, and not see your chiropracter until a complete DX occurs and they figure out what is going on. If your spine is indeed hurting your bottom area, it is best not to further agrevate it with manupliations. I hope all will get better, and that help can be found. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
baldeagle9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Ginnie,

Thank you for the great advice! It makes sense to get some answers before making more adjustments. I was going ask for an adjustment, but you are right--I cannot afford to aggravate my condition. I am dealing with something unknown. When I meet with my "second" new chiropractor tomorrow, I will inform him that I suspect other pelvic issues may be at play. He took xrays last week, and we are to discuss the results tomorrow. He made no attempt to do any adjustments last week (unlike the free consult chiro I first mentioned); and he seems patient and caring. Did the issues you encounter go away and did you experience any spasms? This is driving me into the ground, but I rather wait then move rashly. Thank you Ginnie!

Beth Ann
baldeagle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spondylolisthesis grade 1-2 only 30 lmd1981 Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 3 11-13-2012 05:19 PM
spondylolisthesis of the L5 steverenoe Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 15 04-13-2012 10:11 AM
spondylolisthesis of the L5 steverenoe New Member Introductions 2 07-02-2011 12:50 AM
Spondylolisthesis L5/S1 pap5 New Member Introductions 6 08-14-2009 01:53 AM
Spondylolisthesis petronella New Member Introductions 1 10-06-2007 01:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives