Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson's Disease Tulip

Inflammation, cellular repair deficits, and alkalinity.

Unread 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
lurkingforacure

Default I know the paper is not perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Hmm...notice how that someone in the field has vanished? I was
counting down the days. I almost wrote a few choice words but then
concluded that a person who feels compelled to write condescending
replies to a group he stumbled upon when googling himself has enough
to worry about, I did't want to put him on defense even more.

I knew we had discussed Ph before but forgot it was just last month!
I can tell you what my former land line number was six years ago
though....

Anyway, Jaffe addresses the strip paper in that audio interview.

L.
I realize the pH in your saliva will not resemble very closely what is going on in your blood. But it is a marker of sorts. We were relying more on the urine, which is more accurate, in my mind.

In a freak accident last week, I cut myself making dinner....being the lightning-quick thinker that I am (not!) I ran to the bathroom and grabbed a few inches of pH testing strips, lapped it on my wound, and read it (why waste the blood/pH testing opportunity?) It looked pretty good, much better than I expected, although it was pretty hard to read because the blood is so dark. This was after a few weeks of consuming a lot of veggies and fruits, some meats, little cheese, no milk, and almost no grains other than oats (which I personally believe can stave off diabetes if you don't eat any of the HFCS foods).

For those with doubts about acid/alkaline balance in a healthy body, I would encourage you to look into vitamin C and melanoma or really, any cancer. My understanding is that cancer cells cannot survive in an alkaline environment, and vitamin C in the body turns things alkaline. There are forums with photos of people who have put vitamin C directly on a skin cancer lesion and over days, the thing dies off and healthy tissue replaces it. This is topical, outside the body, and does not harm healthy tissue.

If this happens outside the body, how could an alkaline diet not help things inside as well? One thing to remember: the relationship to me is not intuitive: eating acidic foods makes you more alkaline, not acidic (lemons, oranges, veggies, etc.-many websites have lists of which foods are acid and which are alkaline). My general rule of thumb is: the sweeter and/or more processed the food is, the more acid it will make me, and the less I should eat it.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Conductor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
I realize the pH in your saliva will not resemble very closely what is going on in your blood. But it is a marker of sorts. We were relying more on the urine, which is more accurate, in my mind.

If this happens outside the body, how could an alkaline diet not help things inside as well? One thing to remember: the relationship to me is not intuitive: eating acidic foods makes you more alkaline, not acidic (lemons, oranges, veggies, etc.-many websites have lists of which foods are acid and which are alkaline). My general rule of thumb is: the sweeter and/or more processed the food is, the more acid it will make me, and the less I should eat it.
Oh, I was not questioning validity of the urine strip test; Dr. Jaffe acknowledges that urine is better than saliva but not as accurate as blood. In that audio interview, he was saying there are only one brand that works called Hydrion. I don't see that he has any ties to the maker....

When critics launch an attack on alkaline diets they forget there is a fine line between homesostasis and priming the body for disease. They do not address that if our body is even a tenth off in PH, biochemically we are in trouble especially when we continue unabated over a course of decades. Jaffe has not claimed the Alkaline Way to be a panacea, but to all the naysayers out there; including our flippant "concerned" neuro scientist, there is this:

The alkaline diet: is there evidence that an alkaline pH diet benefits health?

This is a 2012 review article and the conclusion is:

There may be some value in considering an alkaline diet in reducing morbidity and mortality from chronic diseases and further studies are warranted in this area of medicine.

My attraction to it is that it includes the hard science and goes beyond just diet on how we can help our cells remain balanced. We already our mitochondria is likely out of whack and that our immune system has become "friendly fire", so how can this hurt. It may not make a marked difference but at the very least we would be eating a lot better.

LFAC, are you trying any of the other supplements? Sounds like you have the buffered Ascorbate; I am really interested in how the magnesium supplement might work? It is supposed to help with iron metabolism in the brain, so I thought it worth a try.

Thanks for sharing all this!

Laura

PS agree with you on importance of PH in disease. I learned that by inadvertently killing my son's fish
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
lurkingforacure

Default Many, many supplements later....

Laura, I can't count how many or how much money we've spent on supplements, I could probably stock a store with what we've tried! At the end of the day, though, we can only swallow so many pills. And, as Dr. Wahls said, it is far, far better to get what you need from food than from a pill, because of the syngergistic components we dont' even know about. So...

We take a multivitamin daily (if we remember, but mostly we do), it's high quality and we alternate between brands. Twice a week, we take HALF of a multimineral. Why? Minerals can build up in the body, and that can be dangerous. Magnesium is critical, as you pointed out, but you want to take the right formulation (MrsD is invaluable on these matters) and so sometimes we take MagnaCalm which is a powder you mix into water, it's a bit bubbly, so you can put it in a juice if you like. It is much cheaper than the individual packets you can buy, fyi. I personally feel that you get more benefit from epsom salt baths, though, because your skin will absorb the magnesium while you soak in a hot bath. I sneak it into the kids' baths sometimes when they are not looking

We take extra vitamin C for the hell of it. It can't hurt and if you take buffered, it's easier on the stomach. You can get C from cranberry juice which we drink a lot of (helps with potential UTI as well, we drink the pure kind that is tart beyond words, a direct extract, not from concentrate type, but you just need a little, and couldn't get down much more than that anyway it's so tart), citrus fruits and broccoli family veggies (bonus: fiber) and then Vitamin C in a pill if you just want more.

I know our bodies flutuate from morning to night and back, in terms of probably just about everything: glucose levels, cortisol, temperature, etc. Besides our circadian rhythm, we have our constant effort at homeostasis, and that is all way over my head...so my layman's thinking is: why not give our cells what they need to make their many jobs as easy as possible? And that's where Dr. Wahls comes in, but I've sung her praises here enough
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With Quote