Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

Surgery day is set eeeeek!

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
tidyteresa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default Surgery day is set eeeeek!

Hi all,
This is my first post here but I have been lurking for a long time just reading and digesting information, that I am grateful for!

I have been having trouble with my left arm for some time now. I thought it was tendonitis because a run a cleaning service and I work harder than my staff (their words not mine). My chiropractor had been treating my left arm for the tendonitis until I went in and my upper arm was very swollen and feverish. He was visibly concerned with my arm, my pulse in that arm, the fact that my arm was feverish. He was thinking it was a blood clot so I went to my clinic and after an x-ray and blood tests to rule out an infection. After those tests turned out to be normal (except for my high blood pressure for me) I went for an ultrasound which was inconclusive and an CT scan. The doctor showed us the CT scan and told us he thought he saw a small blood clot but wasn't sure enough to put me through months of blood thinners.

Two days later I went into the cath lab for a venogram. He couldn't find a clot so he was very agitated. He then told his assistants to lift my arm and "boom" my blood flow cut off like a kinked garden hose!! He was so excited he was jumping up and down saying "I found it, I found it"! Very intelligent but strange little man, who my husband nicknamed "Rainman"! Come to find out all of his staff call him that too!

He then told me that I needed to have my first rib removed and I am sure my jaw hit the floor! Not only did he tell me I had a syndrome I had never heard of but he was telling my that I needed to lose a rib, which I didn't know was a possibility!! At least it wasn't a clot so I have to hold on to that.

I met with the surgeon today hoping that everything the tests showed were wrong but of course they were not. I am scheduled for a resection of my first rib on Feb. 13th.

My doctor told me that I would be in the hospital a minimum of 3 days so I think it very ironic that I will be spending Valentine's Day in a heart hospital! LOL!

I am very nervous but it has really been educating for me reading posts on this site so I had a list of questions for my surgeon. So thank you for all that have posted! I will keep you updated!
tidyteresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
starfish43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 25
Default Thanks and question

How did this work for you? Did you schedule surgery and then have the questions answered in some type of pre-operaton meeting or by email, phone, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyteresa View Post
Hi all,
This is my first post here but I have been lurking for a long time just reading and digesting information, that I am grateful for!

I have been having trouble with my left arm for some time now. I thought it was tendonitis because a run a cleaning service and I work harder than my staff (their words not mine). My chiropractor had been treating my left arm for the tendonitis until I went in and my upper arm was very swollen and feverish. He was visibly concerned with my arm, my pulse in that arm, the fact that my arm was feverish. He was thinking it was a blood clot so I went to my clinic and after an x-ray and blood tests to rule out an infection. After those tests turned out to be normal (except for my high blood pressure for me) I went for an ultrasound which was inconclusive and an CT scan. The doctor showed us the CT scan and told us he thought he saw a small blood clot but wasn't sure enough to put me through months of blood thinners.

Two days later I went into the cath lab for a venogram. He couldn't find a clot so he was very agitated. He then told his assistants to lift my arm and "boom" my blood flow cut off like a kinked garden hose!! He was so excited he was jumping up and down saying "I found it, I found it"! Very intelligent but strange little man, who my husband nicknamed "Rainman"! Come to find out all of his staff call him that too!

He then told me that I needed to have my first rib removed and I am sure my jaw hit the floor! Not only did he tell me I had a syndrome I had never heard of but he was telling my that I needed to lose a rib, which I didn't know was a possibility!! At least it wasn't a clot so I have to hold on to that.

I met with the surgeon today hoping that everything the tests showed were wrong but of course they were not. I am scheduled for a resection of my first rib on Feb. 13th.

My doctor told me that I would be in the hospital a minimum of 3 days so I think it very ironic that I will be spending Valentine's Day in a heart hospital! LOL!

I am very nervous but it has really been educating for me reading posts on this site so I had a list of questions for my surgeon. So thank you for all that have posted! I will keep you updated!
starfish43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
tidyteresa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish43 View Post
How did this work for you? Did you schedule surgery and then have the questions answered in some type of pre-operaton meeting or by email, phone, etc.
I met with the surgeon that I was referred to by my primary doctor. He went over all my tests (x-rays, blood tests, ultrasound, CT scan, venogram) and he told me that my only option was surgery. He made me a drawing of collar bone and rib area so I could see what he was going to do and what all could possibly go wrong. I like doctors who don't sugar coat things for me! He then told me it would be better to schedule my surgery more sooner than later because of house severe my compression is.

Hope this helps!
tidyteresa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
starfish43 (01-31-2013)
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
tidyteresa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Two days before my surgery and I came down with a head cold!! Argh! I was so careful to stay home away from crowds so I could stay healthy. My grandbabies were here and they came down with the stomach flu and I missed getting that but then this stupid cold came on.

I have called my surgeons office and I am waiting for a call back. I don't know if they will give me something to kick this in the butt, postpone my surgery or do nothing at all.

I am so ready to have this surgery over with!!
tidyteresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
tidyteresa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Surgeon doesn't want to do surgery until my cold is better. I am heading to my personal doctor today to see what they can do for me. I am really fighting depression at this point....
tidyteresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
ladylaura418
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 121
Default

So sorry to hear about the postponement. There is so much build up to a surgery like this, and its a combination of disappointment and frustration when something like this happens. Last February, I came down with bronchitis and pneumonia just before my first rib resection. I was fortunate that I recovered in time, but I can imagine how you are feeling right now. Hang in there.
ladylaura418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
LiveLoveandTrust
Member
 
LiveLoveandTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyteresa View Post
Surgeon doesn't want to do surgery until my cold is better. I am heading to my personal doctor today to see what they can do for me. I am really fighting depression at this point....
I sympathize with you. I hope they're able to get you a quick reschedule and that you feel well soon. I know I would have been crushed if that happened to me but time will move faster than you think and before you know it, you'll have one less rib :-P
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
BDBomg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

That sounds terrible! I think I feared the possibility of running into this misfortune more than I feared the procedure itself in the days right before my surgery. Having patience is the hardest part, but you still have your diagnosis and a clear path ahead. This will just be a hiccup.

I'm sure they will prioritize your rescheduling. Other people get sick too, slots will definitely become available. I hope you find out soon!


-Ben
BDBomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back surgery and nerve damage after surgery kabrina New Member Introductions 1 02-14-2012 12:07 AM
Tara's official surgery/surgery info thread! tchr012 SCS & Pain Pumps 41 10-07-2010 08:54 PM
My MRI is tomorrow! Eeeeek! Dejibo Multiple Sclerosis 32 03-10-2010 12:23 PM
RSD after knee surgery -now going to have hip replacement surgery GinnyM Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 3 01-17-2009 06:06 AM
20% of bariatric surgery candidates not psychologically cleared for surgery DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 10-16-2007 08:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives