Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions A - L > Autoimmune Diseases

Autoimmune Diseases For Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (underactive thyroid), Graves’ disease (overactive thyroid), Lupus, Crohn's disease, all types of arthritis, and all other autoimmune diseases. [Multiple sclerosis (MS) and Myasthenia Gravis (MG) have their own forums below.]

Several symptoms I have discovered

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Pikku Myy

My Mood:
Default Several symptoms I have discovered

I am very new to this forum... and truly glad to be here!!!! Never even knew this existed until I scrolled down the PC forum. My main concerns are as follows.
- Little Parkinsons - This runs in my family. I was diagnosed at age 23. My dad has it, so did his dad, my daughter has is age 17, my sister age 45, my brother age 43, my niece age 12... we will all shake like Kathryn Heburn sp... sooner or later... and many more relatives
- MS also runs in my blood lines from dad's side ... ghrrr
- Thryoid disorders run in my family (I, my sister, and mom (even though she does not accept it) suffer from this
- Heritary hart problems - me, my daughter, sister, mom, and yes niece... funny how the same pediatric hart doctor analysis two related cousing with the same problem.... it is not supposed to be heritary... LOL

Have a whole lot more info... but have to dissaper now...

My interest - Lupus?

Thanks
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

Just so happy I bumped here!!!!! Somehow, yesterday I read about a lady with lupus questions...hmnnn Sounds very much like mine.... yep, checked it out... and have at least 7 of the typical symptoms... went by my Dr's office quickly... so the could see the rash & swollen joint on my hand... Will go back on Monday at 11:15 to have all the full tests... Very happy if I finally find out why I am soooo lazy. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoliinareddish View Post
I am very new to this forum... and truly glad to be here!!!! Never even knew this existed until I scrolled down the PC forum. My main concerns are as follows.
- Little Parkinsons - This runs in my family. I was diagnosed at age 23. My dad has it, so did his dad, my daughter has is age 17, my sister age 45, my brother age 43, my niece age 12... we will all shake like Kathryn Heburn sp... sooner or later... and many more relatives
- MS also runs in my blood lines from dad's side ... ghrrr
- Thryoid disorders run in my family (I, my sister, and mom (even though she does not accept it) suffer from this
- Heritary hart problems - me, my daughter, sister, mom, and yes niece... funny how the same pediatric hart doctor analysis two related cousing with the same problem.... it is not supposed to be heritary... LOL

Have a whole lot more info... but have to dissaper now...

My interest - Lupus?

Thanks
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

Well... got thru my DR/T appointment wo a complete meltdown And now just have to wait patiently 48 hours to find out about the results Just love my DR she is so sweet!!!! I told her to evaluate me for these categories - L for Lupus, T- for Thyroid, and H - for hypercondria Well as it appears she agreed my symptoms such as rash on face and neck, extreme fatuque sleeping 16 hours a day, Rheynald, brucing, severe itzy skin, hair loss, several swollen joints, severe unexpected muscle pain, severe dry mouth especiallly at night & even during the day, etc..... That the tests are needed... I just want to know what's going on, and get on with my life... She had a good laugh about the H Will let you know what I find out...
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
keepingfaith

Hi there! I'm sorry I don't know much about Lupus or have any advice for you I just wanted to say good luck with your results and I hope you find some answers soon! It's rough not knowing.
keepingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-20-2013), Pikku Myy (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
mrsD
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

The ANA testing for lupus may or may not show it. That is because ANA can cycle in a person with autoimmune disease, from normal to abnormal over time.

There is also a variant called "drug induced lupus" and this typically has normal ANA panel as well.

I am recovering from drug induced lupus myself, caused by a blood pressure medication, lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor). This type of lupus will go away when the offending drug is removed.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...=377&zoneid=17

Not all drugs have made it to the lists however. I'd suspect any drug in fact, if you come up with normal ANA testing.

Fall leaves in our backyard fountain 2014.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:

Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:

mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-20-2013), Pikku Myy (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

Thank you for your replies! I truly appericiate them.. I am better today, but still worried and anxious. Once I find out... at least then I can deal with what's going on Its either my thyroid totally and finally screwed up, or Lupus.

My Dr told me the ANA is 95% accurate, but with the other symptoms at 97%.. even if it comes back neg....

They are alanyzing ANA, CBC, Sed rate, Tsh, Vit D.

I am on the following meds.

100 MG Zoloft/day
25 MG Atenolo/twice a day
.5 MG Xanax/ twice a day as needed (I am down to .25mg )
7.5 MG Mobic/day
10 MG Flexeril/twice a day as needed (not taking this anymore)

Any thoughts? And thanks again...
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-21-2013), mrsD (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
mrsD
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Atenolol appears on the link I gave you as a potential
drug induced lupus trigger... it is given low status, but then
my reaction to Lisinopril was considered uncommon too.

Don't discontinue atenolol without doctor's supervision. It should be tapered off over a week or so. If you have angina, a very slow taper. Discuss with your doctor another drug to try for hypertension, if possible. You won't know if it is a culprit without getting off of it somehow, very carefully.

It has been about a month for me, so far, and each day I feel better and better! I am expecting a slow recovery.

Fall leaves in our backyard fountain 2014.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:

Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws:

mrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-21-2013), Pikku Myy (02-20-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

mrsD - Really hope you are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The ANA testing for lupus may or may not show it. That is because ANA can cycle in a person with autoimmune disease, from normal to abnormal over time.

There is also a variant called "drug induced lupus" and this typically has normal ANA panel as well.

I am recovering from drug induced lupus myself, caused by a blood pressure medication, lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor). This type of lupus will go away when the offending drug is removed.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...=377&zoneid=17

Not all drugs have made it to the lists however. I'd suspect any drug in fact, if you come up with normal ANA testing.
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

Just received the results from my DR...

Thyroid - fine
ANA - Neg... still does not explain the rash
Vitamin D - >13% ie nonmeasurable....

So for the next 6 weeks I will take Non prescription Vitamin D3 with food twice a day, and 50,000 units of Vitamin D once a week. She also noted I may have to do this for the rest of my life OK with this!!!!

She said we should wait and see what happens within the next month...

I had no idea!!!! But for today happy with the 5% chance I do not have lupus!!!!

Yeahhhhh!!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-21-2013)
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
keepingfaith

mrsD do you know about the accuracy of the ANA test? I'm curious as I have had it done and and it came back negative as well. I do have the butterfly rash which is why my neuro ordered the test but when it came back negative he dismissed that idea completely.
keepingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote