Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome

Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

New & hello!

Unread 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Pikku Myy

My Mood:
Default New & hello!

Can I come on this forum with questions about my brother??? Hugs everyone
Pikku Myy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (02-17-2013), SpaceCadet (02-16-2013)
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Mark in Idaho
Elder

karolinareddish,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. We have plenty of family of the injured. Moms, wives, husbands, etc.

We are here for any needs regarding TBI or PCS

Feel free to ask anything. You can also tell us just about anything.

59 years old, retired due to disability, married 34 years, father of three, grandfather of four, Suffered a serious concussion at 10 years old (1965) stopped most driving after concussion at 46 years old (2001), Post Concussion Syndrome/Multiple Concussion/Impact Syndrome with PTSD, immediate/short term visual and auditory memory problems, slowed processing speed, visual/auditory processing difficulties, insomnia, absence seizures, OCD, 14 concussions since first concussion at 8 years old, Taking paroxetine for 14 years and gabapentin for 12 years. Added L-Tryptophan and stopped paroxetine after 3 months of tapering. I currently take 500 mgs of L-Tryptophan AM, 500 mgs noon, and 500 mgs PM.

As of Nov 15th, Due to high stress issues resulting in PTSD, docs put me on 3 meds. Clonazepam but only for 30 days ) .125 mgs twice daily (Doc presc. .25 mgs 2x daily but half a tablet is good) , citalopram (Celexa), an SSRI , and olanzapine (Zyprexa), an atypical anti-psychotic that usually causes weight gain before bed. I lost over 30 pounds since mid July. It just stopped the weight loss. Took me off the gabapentin. I am feeling better than I have in years.

This great feeling only lasted a month. Back to the same old PCS doldrums.

May 2014, I am off the olanzapine due to a 6 fold price increase. Back on 600 mgs of gabapentin before bed.

I am also taking L-Theanine to help with GABA regulation

"Be Still and Know That I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-16-2013)
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Anonxyz

You must be a great sister!

Best wishes,

MissingMe
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-18-2013)
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

My younger brother Little insight... was injured severely while coming back from his interail trip form EU. He was 18 at the time, and I 23... My sister & myself had done similar trips... and never had any issues. They found my brothers comatosed body under the old/unused Frankfrut airport parking lot. He might have been there up to three days. Nothing was stolen, but someone beat him up with a steel crowbar to his head... He had just taken his best friend from EU to his plane... and on the way to the Frankfrurt airport Holiday Inn... where my dad had reserved a room for him to rest & sleep, since his flight to US was 8 hours later... He never showed up!! My parents received a call about 7 days later, asking them if they could identify my brother... he was in coma for approx. 5 weeks. And he has never been the same... first 10 years I cried & the whole family was in turmoil... from his injury it took approx. 20 to get him somewhat balanced (in and out of hospilitazations. Thanks to my mom... who does not believe in medications, he is doing much better 5 years later. He is still super brilliant with computers and mathematics and speaks 7 languages fluently... but at 43 on Althaimers medications. We bought him a little place a block from the beach... where he lives with his cat (wife) Grayson... Well, now you know.... I and my brother have become very close in the past couple of years again and I keep telling him I will take care of him if anything happens to my parents
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (02-18-2013)
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
ginnie
Elder

My Mood:
Default Hi Pikku

Welcome to Neuro Talk. Of course you can. This site is for everyone. Lots of good information and support is available. This site has done alot for my own issues. Feel free to look around the boards and post anywhere you want. We will be here for you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-18-2013)
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Mark in Idaho
Elder

Pikku Myy,

Please tell us how we can help you. What symptoms is he struggling with ?

Please leave out the play by play as it can be difficult to track since most of us have cognitive struggles.

Is he living with a cat or a wife and cat ? I'm confused. A beach home sounds good.

There are many medications that can be very helpful.

I think you mean this happened 25 years ago. He had been in and out of hospitals for 20 years then your mother took over care without meds. Now, he is on Alzheimer's Meds.

Are you basically looking for insight into how to prepare to care for him in the future ?

59 years old, retired due to disability, married 34 years, father of three, grandfather of four, Suffered a serious concussion at 10 years old (1965) stopped most driving after concussion at 46 years old (2001), Post Concussion Syndrome/Multiple Concussion/Impact Syndrome with PTSD, immediate/short term visual and auditory memory problems, slowed processing speed, visual/auditory processing difficulties, insomnia, absence seizures, OCD, 14 concussions since first concussion at 8 years old, Taking paroxetine for 14 years and gabapentin for 12 years. Added L-Tryptophan and stopped paroxetine after 3 months of tapering. I currently take 500 mgs of L-Tryptophan AM, 500 mgs noon, and 500 mgs PM.

As of Nov 15th, Due to high stress issues resulting in PTSD, docs put me on 3 meds. Clonazepam but only for 30 days ) .125 mgs twice daily (Doc presc. .25 mgs 2x daily but half a tablet is good) , citalopram (Celexa), an SSRI , and olanzapine (Zyprexa), an atypical anti-psychotic that usually causes weight gain before bed. I lost over 30 pounds since mid July. It just stopped the weight loss. Took me off the gabapentin. I am feeling better than I have in years.

May 2014, I am off the olanzapine due to a 6 fold price increase. Back on 600 mgs of gabapentin before bed.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-19-2013)
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
rmschaver

Lets see if this is correct Your brother had blunt force trauma 25 years ago.

Several hospitalizations.

Care from your parents, specifically mother.

Still high functioning but needs meds.

What are your concerns specifically so we can help?

To see the divine in the moment.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-19-2013)
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
ginnie
Elder

My Mood:
Default Hi Pikku

There are also caregivers support groups in many communities. This may help you to cope. You are a good person for being close to your brother, and trying to help all these years. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-19-2013)
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Pikku Myy

My Mood:

Thank you everyone! Several clarifications.

He was severely injured at age 18. Blunt head trauma & brain injury.

He was in coma for 5 weeks... and has never been the same.

He has been in and out of psych wards for the first 15 years after the injury.

Immeadeately treated for total memory loss, psychosis, Bipolar, Skitsophrenia (sp), personality and dissasoative disorders... etc. just to point a few...

He has been under a DR and Psychiatric care ever since the accident, and is required to go back every 6 weeks. And still does.

Many of the medications he was on resulted in permanent damage, such as not able to walk, sticking your tongue out... and much more.

My mother has been able to get him balanced within the past 10 years, with various vitamins, and natural theraphy.

He is 43 now.

He almost died last year do to his pancries shutting down along with his hart. Too many drugs.

He only takes the Altheimers meds to helps him with memory.

Not married. Lives with his cat Grayson, lonely... and somewhat self sufficient at the little beach house. Not able to handle a job...

My worry - Parents getting older... I want to assure him he will be OK. Financially no worries... just don't know if I can handle the long distance care giving.

My health is not in the best of shapes either... Thanks
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Mark in Idaho
Elder

I suggest you contact the Brain Injury Association in your state and find a support group in his area. There you may be able to find out what resources are available. Group homes and other assisted living arrangements may be available.

I can't imagine being in his state of mind. As he ages into his late 40's, he will likely start to decline faster. You need to find out what his age related prognosis is so you and your parents can be prepared.

I have considered signing a DNR card for my wallet in a case where I have lost heart function or extended LOC. I have struggled through some severe depersonalization and other mental thought struggles. I know how much family wants to do anything for a long life but I have watched my father die from ischemic dementia and my FIL from Alzheimer's. Getting a good understanding of his prognosis and future needs for care should be paramount. Many future needs need to be considered now because his ability to contribute to decisions and his own care will continue to deteriorate.

I don't want so sound morbid or defeatist but personally believe in letting natural illnesses be part of the process. His next 10 years will be a good indicator of the following 20.

My best to you both.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Pikku Myy (02-20-2013)