Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Movement Disorders

Movement Disorders Including essential tremor, dystonia and Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS).

Paroxysmal Kinesigenic Dyskinesia

Unread 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
inspiral

Default Paroxysmal Kinesigenic Dyskinesia

Hi guys, my names Christin. I'm a 16 year old with PKD that was diagnosed 5 days ago. I have had the disorder since I was 13. I experience involuntary movements/spasms in both arms, and legs, and some sort of paralysis (?) in my brain. These occur when I make sudden movements (Say, immediately walking after being seated for a while, or walking straight after the lights turned green) or if I'm scared, startled or taken off guard. In most cases I get a 'feeling' that warns me about a episode, sometimes tensing my body or moving my limbs can stop it.

Not much is known about PKD, It's a very rare disorder, I'm one of the 50% that did not inherit the disorder from my family. I believe I have a dysfunctional gene of some sort, but doctors aren't sure. A drug that is usually for patients with Epilepsy has been prescribed, there is no cure specially designed for PKD.
I want to see if I can meet people like me who have this disorder, or people who have movement deficiencies or rare disorder.

So yeah, that's my story, what's yours?
inspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Bex1

Hi there,

My 2 1/2 yearold daughter has just been given a preliminary diagnosis of PKD too. We also have no known family history of this. She has been put onto Tegretol, which has helped alot, that is why she they think this is her diagnosis. It seems to only affect one leg, and usually only when she is doing something fast or sudden or gets a fright. We live in New Zealand.
Bex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Intoxication

I'm 19, from Norway, and I was, probably, born with PKD, as it was first noticed in me when I started walking by my grandmother. At least that's what I've been told. I get spasms in every muscle on the right side of my body, especially if I'm stressed, both physically and mentally. As a kid, I could never run, as I would end up with seizures and get exhausted from them. I don't know if everyone gets that exhausted, but I do. Whenever I've had them, it's worse than a super intense trip to the gym. Nothing else can make me that exhausted. I could wok out till I almost throw up, but even then I've got more energy left over.
But then again, epilepsy patients also experience this exhaustion so I've always assumed it's normal.
In my case it wasn't familial, so I was treated for epilepsy until I was almost 14, and they kept looking for it, putting me on medication, but if they even worked, the side effect were too big of a deal to handle.
Earlier this year I was finally put on medication that works with only a slight constant weight gain (which kinda sucks, to be quite honest, as some medication I was on as a kid completely stopped my metabolism and it never really returned to its fully functioning state) and they don't work 100%, but I'd say about 70%. Better than nothing, I guess.

Christin, if you ever want to talk to someone about living with PKD, feel free to shoot me a message. I've been through most of what can come to you when it comes to it. People not accepting you because you're different, people being scared, having to make certain sacrifices because of things you can't do, etc.
Intoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
sandy_51089

I am a 24 yr old from michigan. I was diagnosed at age 16 after showing digns at age 13. I also did not inherit it from my family. It took a few years because my primary doctor thought it was "all in my head". Finally my doctor sent me to a neurologist who kind of specialized in PKD. My symptoms would show up if I stood suddenly or was stressed. I started taking trileptal and it worked well but after I wanted to get pregnant I stopped. Well, 2 years later, I am not keeping it under control without the meds but want to take something that has little to no birth defects
sandy_51089 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pkd