Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Multiple Sclerosis > The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

What a day!!!

Unread 02-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
nemsmom

Default What a day!!!

Well....

My brother's fiance went into labor this morning so I went to my Mom's to watch their other four kids. A 10 year old boy with adhd, a 7 year old boy, and 2 1/2 year old twin girls. The kids were great even though it was snowing outside and I wouldn't let them out to play because they didn't even have warm coats, or gloves, or hats, and even with all that you were in pain after 10 minutes of being outside it was so cold.

At 11:30 am their little brother was born weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and 21" long. He's so cute and I'm not biased at all. Now she's done having contractions after having them since mid November!

So at 1pm they released the kids early from school because of snow, but the bus drivers couldn't get over a local hill due to wrecks to be able to get the kids. They kept the kids at the school until the buses could get there. With that hill blocked half of the parents had no way of getting to their kids.

My kids had bus notes to get off the bus at my Mom's since that's where I was. My neighbor calls at 4:06 to tell me that my seven year old son was just let off at his normal stop (her house) and my nine year old daughter was still on the bus, where she was supposed to be.

While waiting for my daughter to show up at my Mom's I called the bus barn to talk to them about what happened with my son. The lady told me, "With all the emergencies and weather today we're doing the best we can".

Really you let a seven year old get of the bus in a foot of snow where, as far as your driver knew there was no adult, and you're, "doing the best you can". I then asked if she had any idea of a time that the bus my daughter was on would be dropping her off, so that I could be there to get her.

Remember I had four kids without proper snow clothing that I had to leave inside the house and walk about a half a block distance to the end of the driveway to get her. She said she would call me back in a few minutes. It is now 8:30 and I have not heard a word from them. You can guarantee they are getting a call on Monday from this VERY MAD mamma bear. I get that they had a lot of kids to get home, but I find out they had THREE adults on that bus who all knew he wasn't supposed to be getting off there.

When I got my daughter the guy I talked to says my son was just off the bus before anybody could say anything. Oh really, and the three of you adults couldn't think to get that seven year old back on the bus?! Nope he was off the bus so he wasn't your concern anymore, was he?

It's a really good thing this is a small town and my neighbor took care of my son until my Mom got back from the hospital (45 minutes away) and was able to drive me to go get him. I can't drive anymore and had no way of getting him.

To top it all off I have not seen my husband since he left for work this morning. Poor guy has been on car wrecks all day, as a volunteer fireman. I have no idea when I'll see him tonight.

Okay done with the excitement, sorry, got to typing and got all riled up again.

Needless to say, I am worn out and when I went to make my dinner, I forgot to turn on the stove.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
nemsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (02-07-2014), Erika (02-07-2014), ewizabeth (02-07-2014), Kitty (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Erika

My Mood:

Holy smoke...what a Gong Show with the bus people. Do they not screen these people? Anything could have happened to your son had your neighbour not stepped in.
Don't let this pass. It should not have happened and it certainly should never happen again.

On a brighter note, congratulations on the new addition to the family.
Sure hope that you get some much deserved sleep tonight and that your husband is home by now.

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nemsmom (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
nemsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Holy smoke...what a Gong Show with the bus people. Do they not screen these people? Anything could have happened to your son had your neighbour not stepped in.
Don't let this pass. It should not have happened and it certainly should never happen again.

On a brighter note, congratulations on the new addition to the family.
Sure hope that you get some much deserved sleep tonight and that your husband is home by now.

With love, Erika
Oh I won't be letting it go believe me. The superintendent will be getting a call over another issue as well. Keeping the kids over two hours after the weather started getting bad before deciding to let them go, causing the buses to have so many problems with closed roads is not okay.

Hubby is home for now and at least got to have dinner.

Our winter weather warning remains in effect until Saturday afternoon, I'm sure my hubby will be a busy man.

Thanks for the congrats on the nephew, he should be coming home tomorrow and I can't wait to hold him!!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
doydie
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

How are our children supposed to grow up with nay sense of judgement when they are being led by people like that! I bet the poor child was scared, and hungry. Glad he got home safe and sound. Also on a side note, hope the parents are done having children!!! Or was I reading this right. Your brother now has 5 children???

doydie is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (02-07-2014), nemsmom (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
nemsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doydie View Post
How are our children supposed to grow up with nay sense of judgement when they are being led by people like that! I bet the poor child was scared, and hungry. Glad he got home safe and sound. Also on a side note, hope the parents are done having children!!! Or was I reading this right. Your brother now has 5 children???
Yes my brother has five children and they are done.

Luckily my neighbor's kids were getting off the bus at the same time so not only was she there, but her three kids were, all girls who are older than him. But he got to eat ice cream, have hot chocolate, and play video games, he was happy.

He is a first grader though and he is only supposed to be allowed off the bus with his sister or with an approved adult.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Erika

My Mood:

Good for you...and all of the children who use the bus. It also wouldn't hurt to let your local radio station know. Public knowledge of this sort of thing happening is a useful way to get change underway.

"He is a first grader though and he is only supposed to be allowed off the bus with his sister or with an approved adult."

We have that rule here too. In the coldest winter months (between Nov 1 & Mar 1), all children must be accompanied to wait for the bus for pick up in the morning and also must be met for drop off after school. That means that if a child's "bus buddy" does not go to school on a particular day, a parent/guardian must be at the stop, or another student must be disembarking at the same stop. There is a phone tree to arrange for this but even that falls through sometimes.

This sort of safety net came about a few years back when a 12 year old child failed to get on the bus one cold February morning. The bus stopped to pick her up but when she didn't get on, the driver, thinking that she was waiting for someone else to pick her up, drove away and left her there.

A passing logging truck driver thought it odd to see a child standing by the side of the road at 9:00 AM and stopped. Turns out she had become too cold to move. Poor girl had stood there for 90 minutes in the cold.
The parent of that child complained to the bus service, the school district and also let the local radio station know. That last call got a fire lit under the superintendent and that got things changed in a big hurry.

You might suggest that your district implement a better "bus buddy" system; although it sounds like there is one in place and that the adults on the bus didn't supervise it properly. Our system matches an older student with younger ones. The older students ensure that the younger ones get on the right bus at school and are supposed to ensure that they make it home safely.

In my area, most parents use a car pool system to get their kids to the bus stops/pick up points where several children gather to get on the bus in the mornings, and get off in the afternoons. On winter mornings, the kids wait in the cars until the bus comes. It took a 12 year old getting frost bite on her ears, for some to realize that it gets too cold up here to leave kids outside on their own.

Glad that your family was all together last night and hope that your hubby got to spend it at home. A foot of snow doesn't sound usual for Oregon, so I hope that your new nephew and his family all get to spend today, and the days ahead together, safe and warm in their own home too .

With love, Erika

Last edited by Erika; 02-07-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: repeat phrase edited out
"Thanks for this!" says:
nemsmom (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
nemsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post

Glad that your family was all together last night and hope that your hubby got to spend it at home. A foot of snow doesn't sound usual for Oregon, so I hope that your new nephew and his family all get to spend today, and the days ahead together, safe and warm in their own home too .

With love, Erika
Yes my hubby actually got to sleep through the night! I have never seen a foot of snow on the Oregon coast, certain parts of Oregon get a lot of snow every winter. Just not here.

They are supposed to be coming home with the baby today, can't wait to meet him!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent and "talk" this out with someone. It goes better when I'm not actually talking because I'm so upset I tend to yell.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Erika

My Mood:

Gosh, I'd have been jumping up and down on the bed, shouting over the phone at the bus people.
I so admire those of you who have kids on your minds (even the kids who are now adults), as well as all the rest of what this disease puts us through. I just can't imagine what goes through your minds when your kids are in situations like that. I sure can sympathize though...because just reading about what happened to your son upset me too.

We should all be ready to step in to help and protect young children, no matter whose they are. It is upsetting that the adults on the bus didn't do that.

With love, Erika
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (02-07-2014), nemsmom (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
ANNagain

My Mood:

Congratulations on the new baby and so sorry about the bus mishap!
ANN
ANNagain is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (02-07-2014), nemsmom (02-07-2014), SallyC (02-07-2014)
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
SallyC
Legendary

My Mood:

Congrats!!! Just love new babies. Picture please.

That bus mishap, just made me so scared and mad,
I don't want to think about it...

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (02-08-2014), Erika (02-07-2014), nemsmom (02-07-2014)