Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson's Disease Tulip

Robin Williams had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's

Unread 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Tupelo3

Default Robin Williams had just been diagnosed with Parkinson's

He suffered from addiction, financial problems, recent open heart surgery, and then Parkinson's Disease. Such a sad story and just think about the combination he had. All of these can be a major cause of depression.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Stand Tall (08-15-2014)
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

My Mood:

There has been some talk of him having bipolar issues also..maybe the PD was a recent dx...

Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link -

NT Guidelines

Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Tupelo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
There has been some talk of him having bipolar issues also..maybe the PD was a recent dx...
It appears that the PD dx was recent.
It's so unfortunate as depression is one of the most common symptoms and early biomarkers of PD, typically preceding the more common physical symptoms (e.g tremor, rigidity, etc.) It's just that it doesn't get spoken about as much. There's much more of a taboo in our society to being depressed than to having a tremor or muscle stiffness. People are more willing to talk about their other symptoms, but typically internalize the depression. It's a shame because it's caused by the same changes in the brain chemistry and there are ways to deal with it.

Last edited by Tupelo3; 08-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
soccertese
Magnate

i have to wonder why she mentioned it. she could have kept his secret. he died alone, they didn't sleep together anymore.
soccertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

My Mood:

I didn't realize depression was an early marker for PD, it doesn't seem to be an issue for my dad, he has more anxiety related issues than depression.

Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link -

NT Guidelines

Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Tupelo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
i have to wonder why she mentioned it. she could have kept his secret. he died alone, they didn't sleep together anymore.
Whatever the reason, I'm glad she did. It will put more focus on a very big problem that many PWP have.

It's too bad he didn't become a PD advocate. I'm laughing to myself just thinking about some of the routines about PD he could have been doing.
"Thanks for this!" says:
madamlash (08-17-2014)
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
soccertese
Magnate

i absolutely agree depression is under treated in pd and likely every chronic disease, getting diagnosed with pd is depressing excuse my sarcasm or whatever. i just hope this isn't taken the wrong way and recently diagnosed pd'ers don't start demanding antidepressants and/or doctors feel' compelled to prescribe them because they don't want to be sued. no strong feelings here, just find this to be an interesting topic. to play devil's advocates, do we want a bunch of happy go lucky pd'ers on antidepressants or a bunch of depressed pd'ers demanding better treatments, lower drug prices and a cure?
i have to assume suicide in recently diagnosed pd'ers is extremely rare otherwise we'd be getting a RX for an antidepressant along with a MIRAPEX starter kit.
soccertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
bluedahlia

My Mood:

It may have been the straw that broke the camel's back in his case!
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
bluedahlia

My Mood:

P.S. I was prescribed antidepressants before PD because I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which I may still have in addition to PD. IN my case I think they go hand in hand.
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Tupelo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
i absolutely agree depression is under treated in pd and likely every chronic disease, getting diagnosed with pd is depressing excuse my sarcasm or whatever. i just hope this isn't taken the wrong way and recently diagnosed pd'ers don't start demanding antidepressants and/or doctors feel' compelled to prescribe them because they don't want to be sued. no strong feelings here, just find this to be an interesting topic. to play devil's advocates, do we want a bunch of happy go lucky pd'ers on antidepressants or a bunch of depressed pd'ers demanding better treatments, lower drug prices and a cure?
i have to assume suicide in recently diagnosed pd'ers is extremely rare otherwise we'd be getting a RX for an antidepressant along with a MIRAPEX starter kit.
Oh, the dilemma that you present ST. Seems like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Isn't it possible to have happy go lucky PD'ers who are fighting for better treatments?

Seriously, though, keep in mind that the depression experienced by PWP goes beyond that of just having a chronic illness. It's likely to be chemically caused. There is a lot of evidence (please don't make me go find links) that PD causes alterations to the serontonergic pathways. There are plenty of chemical changes to our brains that go way beyond just a loss of dopamine.

Last edited by Tupelo3; 08-14-2014 at 07:32 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Arsippe (08-14-2014), Stand Tall (08-15-2014)