Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > General > Social Security Disability

Government Shutdown.Will it effect SSDI decisions?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
untilthebell
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 91
Default Government Shutdown.Will it effect SSDI decisions?

So if the wonderful government shuts down, how does that effect those waiting for a response on their pending case?

And how does it effect those already accepted for SSDI payments?

Thank you
untilthebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
colleenbaye
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by untilthebell View Post
So if the wonderful government shuts down, how does that effect those waiting for a response on their pending case?

And how does it effect those already accepted for SSDI payments?

Thank you
QUOTE it will only effect new applications QUOTE
colleenbaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
untilthebell
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 91
Default

new apps on the way in? Or those pending?

Thanks again
untilthebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Janke
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 642
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by untilthebell View Post
So if the wonderful government shuts down, how does that effect those waiting for a response on their pending case?

And how does it effect those already accepted for SSDI payments?

Thank you
With a shutdown, the only people that will be in the local office and the payment centers are the management. Central office should have enough tech staff to keep the system running. Not sure if the local office will open for business since there may be no guards. So, if the government shuts down and it includes SSA for one week, two week, three weeks, virtually no work will get done. Then, when the staff goes back to work, they will first have to play catchup with the most pressing cases.

Ongoing benefits should continue.
Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Mz Migraine
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by untilthebell View Post
So if the wonderful government shuts down, how does that effect those waiting for a response on their pending case?

And how does it effect those already accepted for SSDI payments?

Thank you
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...epage#medicare


http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...re-be-affected
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
bdh1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 54
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
With a shutdown, the only people that will be in the local office and the payment centers are the management. Central office should have enough tech staff to keep the system running. Not sure if the local office will open for business since there may be no guards. So, if the government shuts down and it includes SSA for one week, two week, three weeks, virtually no work will get done. Then, when the staff goes back to work, they will first have to play catchup with the most pressing cases.

Ongoing benefits should continue.
Nobody will be in the local offices, not even management ( this isn't like a strike). Social Security payments are considered a "entitlement" and not effected by the shutdown, so the money will go out no matter what.
bdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
ginnie
Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anna Maria Island Florida
Posts: 6,192
My Mood:
Default Gov.

It is my understanding just from the news, that we will not loose our coverage, or checks from SSDI, SS, Medicaid. What I didn't like is it said "for Now" That was on ABC last eve. Post to hear more on the social security forum. I go there regularily for information concerning benefits. What I don't like at all is our military may not get paid. I will be listening tonight to see if they add any comments. Good luck to you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Janke
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 642
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcs View Post
Nobody will be in the local offices, not even management ( this isn't like a strike). Social Security payments are considered a "entitlement" and not effected by the shutdown, so the money will go out no matter what.
Actually, the field offices will be staffed and will be allowed to do limited work like intake of new claims and address changes but will close early. May not be able to pay claims though. Won't be able to do benefit verifications or issue SS cards. The teleservice will answer the phone will be allowed to do limited work. The payment center employees will be furloughed. Central office and regional office will be furloughed. ALJ's will be at work, but none of their support staff. Not sure about their hours.

This could all change over the weekend and could change again on Monday.
Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shutdown timer JustWeave Computers and Technology 4 04-01-2010 06:59 AM
Does filing for SSDI effect Tax Returns? legzzalot The Stumble Inn 4 03-08-2010 08:10 AM
Key medical tests hit by Canadian reactor shutdown (Reuters) DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 12-05-2007 03:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives