1. It may be a very long road to recovery, if ever - don't put a time limit on recovery. Really depends on the concussion. This is what I found most difficult. But with time, generally you will get better.
2. Reframe your situation and give yourself time to accept your circumstances. I'm 20 months, still not fully healed. I deal with it daily. I may never fully recover. Flipside is I could be dead or a parapalygic (sp?) or something a million times worse. Whatever you are going through it could be worse.
3. Limit risky activities. For me this is near impossible but I have reduced the risk of head injury. i.e. No Hockey.
4. Generally it will get better with time - just don't look at things day to day or even week to week. For a serious concussion month to month or every 6 months is more realistic. Then you'll probably see progress.
5. PCS can be a blessing. Trials and tribulations build character and can make you a better person. Relate your story to others - you can help out someone else.
6. This is just my opinion - doctors have no clue about concussions (hey my dad's a doctor so I don't say this lightly). They just don't. Time is what will make you better. I doubt you'll get answers through Neurologists.
7. For me doing things I love helps. Gotta stay positive.
My short story - head injury snowboarding. Knocked out cold for a minute or so. Memory loss. Probably was my 5th concussion since I was a kid.
I'm an exec and only missed 1 week of work (not saying that's for everyone but I think it saved me from potential for depression).
Month 1 to 3 - poor vision, couldn't walk around the block, always nauseated, headaches, dizziness, light headedness.
Month 4 to 12 - basically the same thing but gradually could get some excercise at the gym. Couldn't bend down to tee up a golf ball. Couldn't wash my car, mow my lawn or rough house with my kids.
Month 13 - eyesight finally corrected itself after seeing a zillion doctors. Yeah!
Month 20 - today. I Golf and do many things I've put off. Surfed in Maui last month (I know it is risky but very small waves...) Headaches still and most days, nausea sometimes but much better, dizziness sometimes. Can't pinpoint anything triggering how I feel. Although I do know stress doesn't help.
Tried Naturopath, accupuncture, seeing other specialists - nothing worked for me other than time. Never took any drugs and don't plan to.
One day maybe I'll be 100% better. Till then I'm coping with a different me - but long term I'll be better for it. No hockey though
Don't dwell in self pity.......your situation, whatever it is could be worse. As I write this I feel like crap.