Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > General > Social Security Disability

For those taking college courses and on SSDI....

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Shari_W
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 241
My Mood:
Default For those taking college courses and on SSDI....

How are you paying for school? Are there any programs for the disabled that help with the cost of tuition after the Pell Grant has been applied?

Thanks
Shari_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
EducatedAsylum
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
My Mood:
Default

In California the State subsidizes education as well with the State University Grant for low income households (which pays the entire initial fees), but this is for public school. Perhaps your state has something similar?
Are you planning on going to private school? Maybe some assistance might be available through the Department of Rehab or the Career Centers? Have you looked into private scholarships for the disabled?
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Shari_W
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 241
My Mood:
Default

I'm enrolling in a Christian University so unfortunately it's private, otherwise I think the state assistance would cover what my Pell Grant doesn't. I've been searching online for scholarships for the disabled but am only finding those which are for the more common disabilities which I don't have.

I need $1700 for Spring Quarter which begins in the middle of May. I'm seeking this education for personal not professional reasons so I don't want to take out a loan because I may never be able to work again to pay it back.

I asked the financial aid officer at the university if he knew of any financial assistance I could get for being disabled but he really couldn't give me any help. So, I thought I would ask here.

Guess I'll keep searching
Shari_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
EducatedAsylum
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
My Mood:
Default

I completely understand where your coming from, as I was thinking of attending a private school as well. You would think that there would be federal funding for helping the disabled pursue an education. You would think that there would be private schools that reached out to the disabled community with assistance.. I didn't find much of it. I saw one private scholarship fund for those with the psychological disorder I gave (Lilly Reintegration Center), and that was it.

Really, its a ridiculous situation. There is federal funding assisting veterans going to school. There is all types of affirmative action programs based on ethnic/racial background assisting racial minorities.. where is this assistance for the disabled? I mean, I'm not even arguing this on behalf of myself, who just has a somewhat debilitating psychological impediment.. but why is it harder for the blind or paraplegic to attend school then it is for other specified groups? That makes no sense, as THERE SHOULD be categorized tuition assistance somewhere for the disabled
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Mz Migraine
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari_W View Post
I'm enrolling in a Christian University so unfortunately it's private, otherwise I think the state assistance would cover what my Pell Grant doesn't. I've been searching online for scholarships for the disabled but am only finding those which are for the more common disabilities which I don't have.

I need $1700 for Spring Quarter which begins in the middle of May. I'm seeking this education for personal not professional reasons so I don't want to take out a loan because I may never be able to work again to pay it back.

I asked the financial aid officer at the university if he knew of any financial assistance I could get for being disabled but he really couldn't give me any help. So, I thought I would ask here.

Guess I'll keep searching
Check with your local Social Service Department. If anyone would know it would be them. They should have a list of what is available as far as educational grants, scholarships, etc. for the disabled that your state has to offer. They may have something on the Federal level too.

Suprised your college does not have a Work Study program!
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Shari_W
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 241
My Mood:
Default

Thanks Mz Migraine,
I take it from your screen name that you have migraines. I hope you are able to keep them somewhat under control. My husband has them from time to time and I can't believe how bad they affect him. Sometimes when he gets one, all he can do is lay down in a dark room and barely move.

My only hesitation in contacting the local Social Service Department is that they will read more into this than is necessary. I only want to take courses just to give me a sense of purpose. I don't want them to think that I'm able to work or plan on working in the future as a result of taking college courses. I'm taking one course at a time online because I am not able to take any courses on campus due to my disability.

I'm sure the college probably does have a work study program, but since I'm taking online courses I don't think that would apply to my situation.

Thanks for replying to my question
Shari_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Mz Migraine
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari_W View Post
Thanks Mz Migraine,
I take it from your screen name that you have migraines. I hope you are able to keep them somewhat under control. My husband has them from time to time and I can't believe how bad they affect him. Sometimes when he gets one, all he can do is lay down in a dark room and barely move.

My only hesitation in contacting the local Social Service Department is that they will read more into this than is necessary. I only want to take courses just to give me a sense of purpose. I don't want them to think that I'm able to work or plan on working in the future as a result of taking college courses. I'm taking one course at a time online because I am not able to take any courses on campus due to my disability.

I'm sure the college probably does have a work study program, but since I'm taking online courses I don't think that would apply to my situation.

Thanks for replying to my question
Yes, I have migraines. However, I have a fantastic Neurologist who has placed me on a Migraine Management Program. So far it has been working for the past 6 years. Is you husband seeing a Neurologist that specializes in headaches/migraines? If not, he should do so ASAP.
Tip for your husband: Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream=eat at the very beginning of a migraine attack. It eases the symptoms (auras) & pain (until the meds kick in).
Believe it or not, it's part of my Migraine Management Program!

Gurl...... get on down to your local Social Service department to find out all YOU ARE ENTITLED TOO to continue your education. Why you want to continue your education while on SSDI does not come into play it's none of their business. Their job is to make sure you are given the proper information/forums. Besides, you're taking online courses.
In my state approximately 30% of the children (healthy & disabled) schooling is online & 70% adults (healthy & disabled) take online college courses.
Myself, I've taken a few graduate courses on campus & online all while on SSDI. The ONLY folks who knew I was disabled were the campus teachers. Had to let them all know that the class room fluorescent lights brings on migraine attacks which causes me to wear dark sunglasses to class.


Good luck to ya!
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
EducatedAsylum
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
My Mood:
Default

Mz Migraine, if you don't mind me asking what kind fo service did you receive in taking your courses financially?
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Mz Migraine
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
Mz Migraine, if you don't mind me asking what kind fo service did you receive in taking your courses financially?
My state (NJ) & county offers all types of "perks" for the disabled/seniors.

1 - Free transportation (public, county, medical) to campus - I took advantage of this because I didn't want to pay for the high gas prices.

2 - Pell Grants

3 - College "disability" scholarships which included stipends.

4 - County "disability/senior" grants.

In NJ, they lump the disabled w/the seniors.


Didn't need to spend not one penny of my own $$$$
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Shari_W
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 241
My Mood:
Default

I've been awarded a pretty nice amount in the Pell Grant but because I applied for it very close to the deadline for this year (2010-2011) I wasn't awarded the extra amount for the Our state Grant which would have really helped out more for financing my education. All that money for this school year 2010/2011 has already been awarded to others who filed earlier.

Yeah, who starts higher education in May???? I just decided to explore the opportunity of continuing my education about a month ago and have a great desire to start now and you can start pretty much anytime if you are taking online courses. As you all know, you have to live in the here and now when you have a disability. Our futures are full of more uncertainty then most others.


I'm going to make some more phone calls on Monday but, just one more question Mz.Migraine....

Did you have to apply for these disability scholarships with an essay or was it automatically granted to you because of your disability? Sort of like given to you in a package?

You are really a big help to me and giving me the courage to just go for it!

Thank you very much
Shari_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSDI and Online College Courses??? Shari_W Social Security Disability 9 05-24-2011 04:28 PM
Success of Online Psychology Courses (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 11-03-2010 06:30 AM
Sawai Man Singh Medical College signs MoU with US college (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 06-08-2010 12:10 AM
Shorter radiotherapy courses work: study (Reuters) (Yahoo) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 03-18-2008 09:50 PM
Mesa man who molested young girl taught college courses (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 01-20-2008 10:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives