Numbness of lips and Tip of tongue
Had this numbness of the lips, with some tingling and numbness on the tip of tongue as well as very mild numbness on the left side of my face (cheek) up to the eye. Lips also feel puffy, although not very visible to me and others. I've had this for over 9 months.
Researched numbness and tingling on lips since the beginning, and found a lot of links not leading anywhere (like WebMD, MayoClinic etc.) just explaining things. I'm an Engineer so I started by trying to eliminate things one by one.
Tried the following with NO RESULTS:
- Stopped supplements as first step (Glucosamine, D3, MultiVitamins etc.)
- Changed my medication from generic to brand (Warfarin to Coumadin, Atenolol to Tenormin)
- Tried a high veg diet - nothing
- Went to doctor (Said allergies)
- Tried Zyrtec 2x per day - Nothing
- Tried Cortisone (100,90,80...10,0) GOT MUCH WORSE)
- Went to Neurologist
- MRI & MRA screening for Aneurysm or Tumor (Thank God none found, healthy veins in the brain, They also found a brain :-)
- Went to dentist got old crown replaced, silver tip removed - nothing
- Dentist screened all teeth - nothing - sent to Maxillofacial Specialist
- Went to Maxillofacial, DDS/MD - screened for MS - Thank God NOTHING
- Tried cutting sugar (Except for honey), cut bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc. for over a month, just ate meats, and salad - nothing
- I have an appointment with an allergy specialist in 2 weeks.
Some rays of hope:
- Researched again (and all along with Google MD) numbness and tingling on lips and tip of tongue since the beginning, so I tried just numbness and found links to vitamin B12 deficiency, Researched and found a lot of articles, Also a lot of videos on YouTube. a lot of it is useless, but some are gems.
Found what B12 deficiency can cause, although I didn't have most of the symptoms they describe, I assumed if I had it, it was not as bad as theirs. So I wanted to try the B12 sublingual just to rule that out too.
Started taking Vitamin B12 Sublingual tablets (melts under the tongue) It's a 2500 Mcg 4 days ago. Very soon, so results might be erroneous still, but:
- Symptoms have just today seemed to improve slightly, but I'm optimistic.
...- First - the tip of the tongue seems to have 15-20% less numbness
...- Second - The lips seem to be 10% better (although still feel puffy)
I'm hoping this will do it (Very optimistic after 9 months)
If you have any suggestions other than "Continue the B12", or warnings, I would like to hear it.