Well, I'm doing some experiments on my Source Naturals.
They come in a bottle with TWO moisture packets. My tablets lived here all summer, in 90+ weather sealed up, and were not damaged in any visible way.
The reason I think Dr. Blaylock is confused is that there are studies on ORAL Alpha lipoic (racemic) going up to 1800mg a day.
But r-lipoic is supposed to be so much stronger, 6-10 times is the claim, that I can't imagine taking 1800mg a day of it. It would be very expensive!
I took 1/2 tablet of mine, and crushed it and mixed with water-- tap water at room temp...and also heated water from the microwave.
The heated water created little globs of a plastic like material...which did stick to my spoon. I tried mixing in an oil, since lipoic is part lipophilic and part hydrophilic and not much difference.
I put 1/4 tablet uncrushed in water, and in 15 minutes is started to get gummy.
This is from the ralapure website:
Now, this may just be a "trick" to convince people to buy theirs, of course.
Wiki does not address the stabilized claims. Stabilized is a sodium salt, and hence water soluble. It is very possible the ALA racemic and non-stabilized are absorbed using bile salt emulsification.
The old racemic form of ALA has been used orally with success for over a decade in studies. I am suspecting the the ralapure version (stabilized) is easier to pour and thus feed hoppers in tablet/capsule machines, and easier to handle in general.
ALA has been called an antioxidant, and as such is by nature unstable. Vit C is unstable and discolors, along with many other antioxidants.
Somehow old ALA... before r-lipoic was made, seemed to work!
This is from Linus Pauling institute:
Pharmacokinetic studies in humans have found that about 30-40% of an oral dose of racemic LA is absorbed (12, 13). Oral LA supplements are better absorbed on an empty stomach than with food. Taking racemic LA with food decreased peak plasma LA concentrations by about 30% and total plasma LA concentrations by about 20% compared to fasting (14). After oral dosing with racemic LA, peak plasma concentrations of R-LA were found to be 40-50% higher than S-LA, suggesting R-LA is better absorbed than S-LA (12, 14, 15). Both isomers are rapidly metabolized and excreted. Plasma LA concentrations generally peak in one hour or less and decline rapidly (12, 13, 15, 16). In cells, LA is quickly reduced to DHLA, and studies in vitro indicate that DHLA is rapidly exported from cells (3)....
Racemic vs. R-LA Supplements
R-LA is the isomer that is synthesized by plants and animals and functions as a cofactor for mitochondrial enzymes in its protein bound form (see Biological Activities). Direct comparisons of the bioavailability of oral racemic LA and R-LA supplements have not been published. After oral dosing with racemic LA, peak plasma concentrations of R-LA were found to be 40-50% higher than S-LA, suggesting R-LA is better absorbed than S-LA, but both isomers are rapidly metabolized and eliminated (12, 14, 15). In rats, R-LA was more effective than S-LA in enhancing insulin-stimulated glucose transport and metabolism in skeletal muscle (44), and R-LA was more effective than racemic LA and S-LA in preventing cataracts (71). However, virtually all of the published studies of LA supplementation in humans have used racemic LA. At present, it is not clear whether R-LA supplements are more effective than racemic LA supplements in humans.
I am really glad you bought this subject here today, Joan.
It appears that even though ALA is not soluble in water, it seems to make it to the blood stream where it can be measured.
I guess I will have to spring for Ralapure forms and then see if my morning glucoses are different! Doctor's Best is one brand that has that on the label. There are others too.
But the common theme, is to take on an empty stomach for best results. I guess I will be taking it in the morning from now on.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.-- Galileo Galilei
This is a fledgling hummingbird resting and drying off after having a bath in my sprinkling hose near his feeder, 2015. He is watching 2 others dashing about in the dripping leaves.
Please use the search function to find more information here in our forums. Your keyword must be at least 4 letters long. This is the handy link:
Here is a link to our guidelines that explains how to post links and information properly here due to copyright laws: