Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

Narcotics and MG

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
BackwardPawn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 198
Default Narcotics and MG

I was wondering if anyone has experience with whether narcotics make MG worse. As I mentioned in my introductory post, I went about 15 years misdiagnosed. At some point during that time I was put on tramadol for the muscle pain I was experiencing. Eventually the tramadol was switched for OxyContin, and over the years it got increased to 30mg every 8hrs.

I've asked the pain management doctor since my diagnosis if we could try cutting that back, but he doesn't want to make changes until everything else is more stable. I'm afraid that the narcotic might be one of the reasons I'm not stable, however. The problem is that my neurolgist doesn't have much experience with narcotics and is deferring to him as the pain management expert, and he's admitted I'm his first case of MG. I'm not sure if I should get a second opinion or what.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
scrubbs
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 173
Default

My neuro wanted me to talk to my Pulmonary Dr. before taking any opioids. My Pulmonary Dr. is also my primary care Dr. He gave me the ok after breathing tests and he monitors me regulatory. He knows that my breathing is impaired because of my week diaphragm.

If I were you, I would find a Pulmonary Dr. for advice.

Tony
scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
BackwardPawn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbs View Post
My neuro wanted me to talk to my Pulmonary Dr. before taking any opioids. My Pulmonary Dr. is also my primary care Dr. He gave me the ok after breathing tests and he monitors me regulatory. He knows that my breathing is impaired because of my week diaphragm.

If I were you, I would find a Pulmonary Dr. for advice.

Tony
Its kind of funny that you mention that. My previous GP was a pulmanary specialist I was sent to when my peak flow test showed I had asthma. After a lot of testing, he concluded that I didn't have asthma. I realize now it was the MG causing the low peak flow. He's since left the practice and I've found a new GP, but maybe I should see one of his associates.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Royce
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Default Meds and MG

I was searching also about meds to avoid in MG. I found a couple of sites that list them. Most were the same on all sites. **
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwardPawn View Post
Its kind of funny that you mention that. My previous GP was a pulmanary specialist I was sent to when my peak flow test showed I had asthma. After a lot of testing, he concluded that I didn't have asthma. I realize now it was the MG causing the low peak flow. He's since left the practice and I've found a new GP, but maybe I should see one of his associates.

Last edited by Chemar; 05-04-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: NT guidelines on linking by new members
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
BackwardPawn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I was searching also about meds to avoid in MG. I found a couple of sites that list them. Most were the same on all sites. **
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thanks for replying, even though the link got cut off. I've probably seen the list you linked to though, as I think most of them list painkillers as something to be cautious about.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Royce
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Default

yes, among other meds. This site does not let you post web sites until you post at least 10 times. I copied them and pasted them for you. I hope they dont erase these. Hope it helps.....Royce



Aminoglycosides: Tobramycin,
Gentamicin,
Streptomycin,
Kanamycin,
Neomycin,
Amikacin,
Paromomycin Amitriptyline*, Bactracin**
Barbiturates*
Beta-Blockers: Propranolol,
Oxprenolol,
Pindolol,
Practolol,
Sotalol,
Timolol (ophthalmic)** Chloroquine* Chlorpromazine**
CNS Depressants* Colchicine
Colistin Colistimethate** Corticosteroids** Decamethonium Diphenhydramine* Duiretics*
Droperidol* Echotheophate
Emetine* Erythromycine** Ethosuximide*
Gallamine
Haloperidol*
Impiramine*
Lidocaine
Lincomycin
Lithium**
Magnerium Sulfate Muscle Relaxants* Narcotics: Morphine,
Codine,
Meperidine, Hydromorophone,
Opium (Pantopan (R))
Pancuconium Paraldehyde* Penicillamine
Phentyoin Procainamide**
Procaine
Quinine**
Respiratory:
Depressants* Sulfonamides** Sedatives*
Sodium Lactate** Succinylcholine Tetacycline**
Thyroid:
Replacements Tranquilizers* Trihexphenidyl Tubocurarine
* theoretically may worsen MG - no clinical reports ** worsens MG or causes MG-like syndrome Henry Ford Hospital 1993








Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwardPawn View Post
Thanks for replying, even though the link got cut off. I've probably seen the list you linked to though, as I think most of them list painkillers as something to be cautious about.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
AnnieB3
Magnate
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,361
Default

BackwardPawn, Everyone reacts differently to meds. I know of another MGer who also has pain issues and is fine with OxyC. Tramadol, however, is usually NOT good for MGers. It interferes with acetylcholine production.

Have you had your CPK (creatine phosphokinase) checked? How about your vitamin D level? Muscle pain is a classic symptom of a vitamin D deficiency. It sounds like they didn't do enough investigating before they threw a pain med at you! It's always a good idea to find out WHY something is going on before you treat it.

Going off of those pain meds can cause a rebound in symptoms, so going off has to be done carefully. A pain specialist should work WITH your neurologist to figure out what to do. Problem is that doctors often don't know how to work well together.

A 2nd opinion is not a bad idea, if you can find an MG expert in your area.

Good luck with figuring out what works for you.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
BackwardPawn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
BackwardPawn, Everyone reacts differently to meds. I know of another MGer who also has pain issues and is fine with OxyC. Tramadol, however, is usually NOT good for MGers. It interferes with acetylcholine production.

Have you had your CPK (creatine phosphokinase) checked? How about your vitamin D level? Muscle pain is a classic symptom of a vitamin D deficiency. It sounds like they didn't do enough investigating before they threw a pain med at you! It's always a good idea to find out WHY something is going on before you treat it.

Going off of those pain meds can cause a rebound in symptoms, so going off has to be done carefully. A pain specialist should work WITH your neurologist to figure out what to do. Problem is that doctors often don't know how to work well together.

A 2nd opinion is not a bad idea, if you can find an MG expert in your area.

Good luck with figuring out what works for you.

Annie
I don't think they've checked the CPK levels, but I do know I'm chronically low on Vit D. I was supposed to have the Vit D checked a month ago, but nobody could get blood or start IVs anymore so they had me get a mediport. Now I need to find a lab that can draw blood from it.

My options for neurologists locally are pretty limited, but I think the neurologist at UMD is very good. Locally, there is one specialist that I know of, but I was a patient of his associate for over five years, during which time the MG was completely missed.

The MG was finally diagnosed by a young doctor from a different practice, but only after he sent me for needless surgery without telling the surgeon he suspected MG (which led to a breathing issue). At that point my GP tried to get me in to see the specialist, but I was told I that I already see the senior doctor and couldn't switch. After an argument, I'm now persona non grata at the entire practice (there's really only two major practices in the area). During this time, my pain specialist was telling me that he thought my current diagnosis (ankylosing spondylitis) was wrong and I should be treated by a research hospital. I took his advice and found a neurologist at UMD.

At UMD, they started me on IVIG, PLEX, prednisone, cellcept, and eventually rituxan, but ended up deferring to the pain specialist for the pain meds. I'm anxious to get to a point that I can have the thymectomy, though, and I'm wondering how much those meds are contributing to the MG. Sorry for the really long answer...I've just been going to neurologists and orthopedics since I was 18 and telling them something is wrong, and it took until I was 30 to find out I had MG, so I've been put on all sorts of meds in the meantime that I should never have been on.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allergic to narcotics RichEmmers Medications & Treatments 9 08-14-2013 11:01 AM
Narcotics and TOS 343v343 Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 13 11-20-2011 01:41 PM
Best way to titrate off of narcotics? lulabelle Chronic Pain 13 09-15-2011 08:14 PM
Medications : If not narcotics-what? RNcrps2 Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) 7 01-16-2010 07:17 PM
Narcotics?????? ellitoid Medications & Treatments 1 11-06-2006 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives