Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions A - L > Headache

Sensitive/Painful to touch skin on my right temple.

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Utah Chris
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Book Sensitive/Painful to touch skin on my right temple.

I am a 28 year old, caucasian, male who's had sensitive skin to the touch on my right temple on my head for the past 1-2 months.

Vocation: Optometrist
Medical history: Unremarkable
Eye-related history: Unremarkable.
Headache history: NONE

It only hurts when I graze it it softly or rub moderately. Increased pressure from my fingers does not necessarily mean an increase in pain or sensitivity. On gross observation it looks as normal as the other temple on the left side. No lumps or anything. I do not get headaches, excluding an occasion tension headache that will radiate from the right side of my neck to the right side of the head (probably a tension related) lasting 2-3 seconds. This feels different though. When I'm not touching it I don't feel it, when I fun my fingers over my right temple I feel it. Does this sound like anything I should be concerned about? Doctors out there--quality imput would be appreciative.
Utah Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Maurice A. Powers (01-13-2014)
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team
 
Jo*mar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 20,199
My Mood:
Default

By any chance could you have some trigger points?

see the Temporal Headache section here-
http://triggerpoints.net/_sgg/m1m1_1.htm

another site that tells about it
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/referred.htm
__________________
Check the Helpful sticky threads near the top of every forum.
site FAQ's
.

Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link -
.

NT Guidelines
.



.


.
Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
aki
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default I have it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Chris View Post
I am a 28 year old, caucasian, male who's had sensitive skin to the touch on my right temple on my head for the past 1-2 months.

Vocation: Optometrist
Medical history: Unremarkable
Eye-related history: Unremarkable.
Headache history: NONE

It only hurts when I graze it it softly or rub moderately. Increased pressure from my fingers does not necessarily mean an increase in pain or sensitivity. On gross observation it looks as normal as the other temple on the left side. No lumps or anything. I do not get headaches, excluding an occasion tension headache that will radiate from the right side of my neck to the right side of the head (probably a tension related) lasting 2-3 seconds. This feels different though. When I'm not touching it I don't feel it, when I fun my fingers over my right temple I feel it. Does this sound like anything I should be concerned about? Doctors out there--quality imput would be appreciative.
I have the same exact thing..Im 40 and a mechanic for the NYPD, Myne is on the left side just above my temple. I only noticed it when I removed my hat the other day and it grazed my temple. It went away for afew days and I I atributed it to too much computer time and eye strain, But its back and Im getting alittle nervous.. Please contact me if you find out somthing, and I will do the same..Thanks Lou V
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
BlueMajo
Magnate
 
BlueMajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 2,640
My Mood:
Default

Hum... I can think about inflammation of the hair follicles... The skin hurts, not precisly the... hum... brain skull... Is that more or less what you feel ??? You know, it is not precisly a headache...

If you feel that what hurts is the skin of your head, perhaps you should see a dermatologist
It can be due to stress, some corticosteroids will help.
__________________

.
ADD ME !!!
.

.

.

.
BlueMajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
aki
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMajo View Post
Hum... I can think about inflammation of the hair follicles... The skin hurts, not precisly the... hum... brain skull... Is that more or less what you feel ??? You know, it is not precisly a headache...

If you feel that what hurts is the skin of your head, perhaps you should see a dermatologist
It can be due to stress, some corticosteroids will help.
Thanks I will look into that. I will be seeing my doctor on wed.I even thought it could be vascular pain because, Today when I got up this morning I felt it without touching it ( I think just by exerting to get up plus blood pressure change). I have a familly history of varacose veins and Im starting to have a small one or two in my legs. ( I even have a similar pain when I push on my left thigh but much deeper) Im not shure what it is but I hope to get to the bottom of it..its not that its really bad ,,,but its just really annoying...
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Koala77
Super Moderator
 
Koala77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,004
Default

If your skin hurts, it sounds to me like nerve pain..... in particular, sensory nerve pain.

I don't have the answers that you seek, but neuritis of any form needs investigation. If after all the usual tests have been done, you're not getting any on-going assistance from your GP, ask for a referral to a neurologist.
__________________
Eastern Australian Daylight Savings Time
and
my temperature


.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
khensonm
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Default

I have something very similar. It SEEMS to be vascular in that I can almost trace the vessels, and it is on both sides of my head. However, it is often on one side more than the other.

Do you sleep on your side, perhaps with your head on something hard (like your hand?). Another possibility is that you grind/clench your teeth while sleeping. I find that if I use my mouthguard (on my upper teeth) and sleep on my back, I don't get the tenderness.

Let me know if you find out anything!
khensonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
soccer5115
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Has anyone found out what the problem is? I have the EXACT same symptoms as you guys and it has been going on for 3 weeks now. It only hurts when i gently touch my temple and if i press down hard it doesnt hurt at all. It seems to get worse during the day. When i wake up it is almost non-existent. But as the day progresses if i lightly touch my temple i get a dull pain and when i let go the pain goes away. I am thinking it may be TMJ, tension headache or a sinus infection because recently my teeth feel a bit off. Like they are tired from grinding or something. Any results from those who have had this would be greatly appreciated.
soccer5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
cwstoker69
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer5115 View Post
Has anyone found out what the problem is? I have the EXACT same symptoms as you guys and it has been going on for 3 weeks now. It only hurts when i gently touch my temple and if i press down hard it doesnt hurt at all. It seems to get worse during the day. When i wake up it is almost non-existent. But as the day progresses if i lightly touch my temple i get a dull pain and when i let go the pain goes away. I am thinking it may be TMJ, tension headache or a sinus infection because recently my teeth feel a bit off. Like they are tired from grinding or something. Any results from those who have had this would be greatly appreciated.
I have had shingles before, look it up if you dont know what that is. Its VERY painful and it is related to nerves endings from what I remember. Anyway it went up the left side of my face and temple and scalp only, a rash hurt real bad and left a scar. I didnt know at the time but VALTREX will most of the time heal you from shingles as it did me. That was 5 years ago, last year that same area started hurting just exactly as all of you are talking about. I had a bottle of VALTREX on hand took it it went away. Now July 2009 the right side of my temple skin is hurting to the touch, nothing visiable very sensitive ect. Im about to start VALTREX again. I recieved shingles 5 years ago due to a very stressful transition in my life. My body was reacting by cause my nerve ending to create a very painful and ugly rash, its stems from the faimly of cold sores, chicken pocks as a kid things like that. I am under the same amount of stress ringht now, are you. Thats what brought mine on, STRESS. Cold sores are a form of herpese (no not sexual diseases) well VALTREX is a herpeses medication. Which alarmed me, but my Doctor assured me its not the same thing and I didnt contract a sexual disease. So u may have the onset of SHINKLES.....
cwstoker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Shelley
Grand Magnate
 
Shelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 4,636
My Mood:
Default

Hey CW,

Just wanted to say that I have the exact same thing. NOt exactly shingles but an HSV1 infection (never had a true cold sore). But the virus lives in your trigeminal nerves which have 3 branches and one goes to the forehead and side of face. The virus acts up and a rash similar to shingles up the side of my head and boy does the skin hurt to the touch.

So Utah Chris you might want to ask your doc for a HSV! and varicella zoster IGM and IGG antibodies test. If its positive the valtrex will help.
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temple Psychologists Honored For Contributions To Psychology (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 10-05-2008 02:00 AM
Pain in temple area? tension head?anyone else? thunder92 Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 12 01-10-2008 11:26 AM
Sensitivity around my right temple ? consul Stroke 1 04-26-2007 09:19 AM
NPR essays - Temple Grandin and more Lara Autism 0 01-06-2007 03:44 PM
Sensitive Skin? DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 11-06-2006 01:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives