Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions A - L > Hydrocephalus

VP Shunt issues

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
piggywig
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Default VP Shunt issues

Hi, I have just joined today. i had a VP Shunt inserted 4 wks ago following an ICP. (I'm 42). Ever since i came round from anaesthetic i've had abdomen pains & pains in my right side. Pains come and go, sometimes really bad. I went to A&E on monday night coz had v. bad rectal bleeding as well as severe pain in lower abdo & right side. they did blood tests, said i was ok & sent me home. My GP faxed urgent referral to surgeons monday, to review me in clinic. As yet heard nothing. I went back to GP today who tried access the surgeons to no avail! I am getting v bad head pains every time i exert pressure (i have a chiari malformation too). The shunt was put in coz my ICP was megga high when i lay down & asleep. Have my first review in Oct! Am getting worried about the abdo pains, more so after reading other posts. I was given no info by the hospital about what to expect after a shunt insertion. Is it normal to get pain. Also my head is lumpy - lumps on skull as well as the shunt. V. sore to touch parts of skull. Am lookking for reassurance & any wisdom from others who've had VP shunt inserted. Oh and I now have infection in tummy wound and on antibiotics! Feel alone with it all. thanks!
piggywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
res5562965
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 44
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggywig View Post
Hi, I have just joined today. i had a VP Shunt inserted 4 wks ago following an ICP. (I'm 42). Ever since i came round from anaesthetic i've had abdomen pains & pains in my right side. Pains come and go, sometimes really bad. I went to A&E on monday night coz had v. bad rectal bleeding as well as severe pain in lower abdo & right side. they did blood tests, said i was ok & sent me home. My GP faxed urgent referral to surgeons monday, to review me in clinic. As yet heard nothing. I went back to GP today who tried access the surgeons to no avail! I am getting v bad head pains every time i exert pressure (i have a chiari malformation too). The shunt was put in coz my ICP was megga high when i lay down & asleep. Have my first review in Oct! Am getting worried about the abdo pains, more so after reading other posts. I was given no info by the hospital about what to expect after a shunt insertion. Is it normal to get pain. Also my head is lumpy - lumps on skull as well as the shunt. V. sore to touch parts of skull. Am lookking for reassurance & any wisdom from others who've had VP shunt inserted. Oh and I now have infection in tummy wound and on antibiotics! Feel alone with it all. thanks!
I have a vp shunt too and have had 9 surgeries on it including the initial surgery to put it in. (from 11/09 to 10/2010) I also have pain in my abdomen and I was told it is from the fluid draining which causes pressure until your body absorbs it. However, be careful with any infection. I ended up in the hospital 19 days (15 days in ICU) because the tube in my abdomen was coiled and it caused the fluid not to drain. That ended up turning into infection and the infection moved to my brain. I had the chiari decompression surgery February of this year. That surgery although more invasive was a breeze as opposed to the problems I have had with my shunt. Hope you have better luck. Watch you temperature daily and if it is even slightly above normal go to the hospital ASAP to prevent any infection going to your brain.
res5562965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
crashed2001
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Default Can swollen abdomen be caused by VP shunt?

I was involved in a car accident in 2001. I am now a quadriplegic and due to a brain injury I had a VP shunt placed and draining in my abdominal cavity. For the last two years I have had a swollen abdomen and pain in my right side. I have been tested for gal bladder, kidney, several cat scans... all okay. Can anyone tell me if this pain in my abdomen could be related to the draining of my shunt?
crashed2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
ian richard
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
My Mood:
Default Re pain in abdo

In reply to piggywigg I know how you feel as far as pain I had extreme pain bringin tears to my eyes, until it was explained 2 me how the tube was coiled up inside I had ct & was told that it was very close to my liver & abdomen where all the nerve endings are the N.S told me to walk as much as possible which would allow the tubing to fall down away from affected area.It has now been 8 days since my shunt was replaced I take Ibrufen pills sometimes but it is quite bearable now getting better by the day now. If this does not help the only other option i was told was keyhole surgery to move the tube away from organ being affected.This is now my 2nd shunt tubing to be replaced Ist one no probs hope this is of help Good luck

Last edited by ian richard; 07-13-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot
ian richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
res5562965
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 44
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed2001 View Post
I was involved in a car accident in 2001. I am now a quadriplegic and due to a brain injury I had a VP shunt placed and draining in my abdominal cavity. For the last two years I have had a swollen abdomen and pain in my right side. I have been tested for gal bladder, kidney, several cat scans... all okay. Can anyone tell me if this pain in my abdomen could be related to the draining of my shunt?
I have had pain and swelling in my abdomen also. My NS said that the fluid that drains into the abdomen can build up quicker than your body can absorb it, therefore causing the pain.
res5562965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
res5562965
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 44
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian richard View Post
In reply to piggywigg I know how you feel as far as pain I had extreme pain bringin tears to my eyes, until it was explained 2 me how the tube was coiled up inside I had ct & was told that it was very close to my liver & abdomen where all the nerve endings are the N.S told me to walk as much as possible which would allow the tubing to fall down away from affected area.It has now been 8 days since my shunt was replaced I take Ibrufen pills sometimes but it is quite bearable now getting better by the day now. If this does not help the only other option i was told was keyhole surgery to move the tube away from organ being affected.This is now my 2nd shunt tubing to be replaced Ist one no probs hope this is of help Good luck
Hearing that the tube in your abdomen is coiled is not good news to me. I had the same thing happen and it was not discovered until it caused an infection because the fluid was not draining properly and the infection moved to my brain. I was in the hospital fighting this infection 19 days (15 days in ICU). I have very little memory of that time. I would insist a second opinion if they know the shunt is coiled. Telling you to walk to correcct it sounds crazy to me. Hope all goes well for you.
res5562965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pleural Shunt to VA shunt Melissa21 Hydrocephalus 3 03-23-2013 01:01 PM
New VP Shunt-ee **CARA** Hydrocephalus 1 01-17-2012 12:44 AM
Anyone else having abdominal issues after ventricular shunt lyoungman New Member Introductions 4 03-15-2010 12:12 AM
had a shunt since i was 10 tiffcolin Hydrocephalus 0 06-12-2009 09:46 PM
Shunt replacement and psychological issues neilif Hydrocephalus 1 01-27-2009 04:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives