Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

New. Pain and new partial denture

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default New. Pain and new partial denture

I had 3 root filled teeth out last week - front lower. After 20 years of constant infections under those root filled teeth they are finally gone. Its now been 6 days and the gums are sore, the sockets filled with dead tissue which the dentist has seen and didnt seem bothered about and the partial denture (its an open face fitted socket held on by flanges at the back and under the lower ridge) is sore and hurting.
My dentist doesnt seem bothered but i feel like crying its all so sore.
Is some white stuff in the sockets normal?
Am I a mug for an open face denture (no fake gum in front) and fitted socket. He really didnt explain different options for a partial and I was so petrified (dental phobic) I didnt really ask.
I saw the dentist after 5 days of continous wear and he showed me how to take it out. Now its coming in and out 3 times a day for salty washes the pain is much muc worse. Normal?TIA
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,989
My Mood:
Default

Hi Riven,

Anytime you have an immediate partial denture or full denture put in after extractions, you go back to the dentist 24 hours later for him to take it out, clean it, and adjust it. You then take it out every day from that day on to clean it, and gently rinse with lightly salted water. For the next month you go to the dentist for him to make adjustments on the partial so that it is comfortable.

If your dentist seems disinterested in your situation, then go to another dentist. You need continued care and frequent adjustments on the partial or you could end up with a bad infection.

Also, be sure not to use too much salt in the water... only a pinch of salt in about 3 ounces of warm water is adequate 3 times a day. Do not rinse with any mouthwash. It will disturb the healing process.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
Bryanna



Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven View Post
I had 3 root filled teeth out last week - front lower. After 20 years of constant infections under those root filled teeth they are finally gone. Its now been 6 days and the gums are sore, the sockets filled with dead tissue which the dentist has seen and didnt seem bothered about and the partial denture (its an open face fitted socket held on by flanges at the back and under the lower ridge) is sore and hurting.
My dentist doesnt seem bothered but i feel like crying its all so sore.
Is some white stuff in the sockets normal?
Am I a mug for an open face denture (no fake gum in front) and fitted socket. He really didnt explain different options for a partial and I was so petrified (dental phobic) I didnt really ask.
I saw the dentist after 5 days of continous wear and he showed me how to take it out. Now its coming in and out 3 times a day for salty washes the pain is much muc worse. Normal?TIA
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for answering Bryanna
I cant afford to go elsewhere. I've already paid the full amount for this temp denture, all treatment and then the permanent in 6 months. Its taken years to save up despite the constant infections under the root filled teeth and knowing those root canalled teeth were poisoning my body.
Ive just rung him in tears and they said they can grind down the rubbing bits - they are rubbing under the tongue and those two little glands are now pea sized with an ulcer on each side.

Have I made a terrible mistake with an open face fitted socket partial?
I can go to the dental hospital and beg for free treatment but it would be a wait of months leaving me with no front teeth.

My main fear is that I havent found anyone else with an open face (so no gum at the front) fited socket partial. I feel like I have managed to locate the only dentist in the world doing these even though he says this type of flexi is common




Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Riven,

Anytime you have an immediate partial denture or full denture put in after extractions, you go back to the dentist 24 hours later for him to take it out, clean it, and adjust it. You then take it out every day from that day on to clean it, and gently rinse with lightly salted water. For the next month you go to the dentist for him to make adjustments on the partial so that it is comfortable.

If your dentist seems disinterested in your situation, then go to another dentist. You need continued care and frequent adjustments on the partial or you could end up with a bad infection.

Also, be sure not to use too much salt in the water... only a pinch of salt in about 3 ounces of warm water is adequate 3 times a day. Do not rinse with any mouthwash. It will disturb the healing process.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
Bryanna
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Update. Went to see an NHS dentist. He said the open front denture was totally wrong and food always gets stuck underneath without a flange and all the ulcers are because I am allergic to valplast.
So, I am going to have to write off the money and start again. New dentist will take an impression next week when the gums have healed more and make me a proper denture for those 3 front lower teeth. As its NHS there will be a one off charge of 200 for denture plus relines and adjustments etc
In the meantime I will have to wear the valplast for meetings and going out cos I cant be without teeth.
I'm pretty upset as you can imagine. The loss of money is huge for us as hubby works part time only and we care for a severely brain damaged child but there is little I can do.
Hubby says he is sure the private dentist was doing what he thought best with the open front teeth and didnt know I'd be allergic to valplast but right now Im not thinking kind thoughts!
Thankyou for answering Bryanna. Before I had the root filled teeth out (and I guess that is the best bit of all of this. Those toxic teeth are gone) I read everything you've said about root filled teeth and the damage to health and learned a great deal. My multiple sclerosis developed within a week of root canals so I think they caused it. I've had 20 years of constant infections under those root filled teeth and endless courses of powerful antibiotics. Now I am glad they are gone and hope I can get the right dentures with a decent dentist who I know isnt doing things for money cos he works for the NHS on a set salary.
But I think I'm going to go and have a small cry over the waste of 500
You live and learn
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,989
My Mood:
Default

Hi Riven,

I didn't want to tell you that the open front dentures are not that great but I thought there must have been a logical reason why the dentist made that for you. Obviously, it wasn't the best choice for you, but there was no way for you to know that. Hopefully this new dentist will treat you better/wiser and the worst of it is over.

I'm sorry you had to endure this. What did he recommend that you do to help heal the ulcerations?

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven View Post
Update. Went to see an NHS dentist. He said the open front denture was totally wrong and food always gets stuck underneath without a flange and all the ulcers are because I am allergic to valplast.
So, I am going to have to write off the money and start again. New dentist will take an impression next week when the gums have healed more and make me a proper denture for those 3 front lower teeth. As its NHS there will be a one off charge of 200 for denture plus relines and adjustments etc
In the meantime I will have to wear the valplast for meetings and going out cos I cant be without teeth.
I'm pretty upset as you can imagine. The loss of money is huge for us as hubby works part time only and we care for a severely brain damaged child but there is little I can do.
Hubby says he is sure the private dentist was doing what he thought best with the open front teeth and didnt know I'd be allergic to valplast but right now Im not thinking kind thoughts!
Thankyou for answering Bryanna. Before I had the root filled teeth out (and I guess that is the best bit of all of this. Those toxic teeth are gone) I read everything you've said about root filled teeth and the damage to health and learned a great deal. My multiple sclerosis developed within a week of root canals so I think they caused it. I've had 20 years of constant infections under those root filled teeth and endless courses of powerful antibiotics. Now I am glad they are gone and hope I can get the right dentures with a decent dentist who I know isnt doing things for money cos he works for the NHS on a set salary.
But I think I'm going to go and have a small cry over the waste of 500
You live and learn
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Ive just left the denture out and the ulcers vanished really quickly so it was definately an allergy. I've found a few people allergic to valplast after googling so I feel less like a freak! The dentist is making a new temporary partial hopefully by Tuesday as I cant go out with 3 missing front teeth! This temp will just be for cosmetic purposes while we decide what to do next.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

so, its the two lower front incisors and one incisor next to them. My natural molars and canines are a bit crowded.
So what sort of partial might be best? I'm not sure if there's room for clasps and I dont want any teeth damaged. A 5 unit bridge for biting teeth feels like its asking for trouble with regards to breaking, damaging the holding teeth and getting food stuck underneath.
So I would welcome suggestions given valplast and flexis are now a no-go.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,989
My Mood:
Default

Riven,

Generally, the immediate or temporary partial denture that is placed after the extractions is made of an acrylic material but it is not usually open in the front.

The materials used to make permanent partial dentures are limited to acrylic or metal. The tolerance of either material depends on the individual person. Rather than cut down your adjacent teeth for a 5 unit bridge, have you discussed having a metal partial?

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven View Post
so, its the two lower front incisors and one incisor next to them. My natural molars and canines are a bit crowded.
So what sort of partial might be best? I'm not sure if there's room for clasps and I dont want any teeth damaged. A 5 unit bridge for biting teeth feels like its asking for trouble with regards to breaking, damaging the holding teeth and getting food stuck underneath.
So I would welcome suggestions given valplast and flexis are now a no-go.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Riven
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

The dentist did mention a metal partial. Is that safe? Now Ive finally got rid of the mercury amalgam toxic root fillings Im worried about metal.
When you say metal, does that mean the fake gum bit will be metal or just the clasps?
Thanks in advance Bryanna.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,989
My Mood:
Default

Hi Riven,

The metal partial can be made from various types of metal. If you are concerned about an allergic reaction, then speak to your dentist about that so he can speak to his dental lab and get some options for you.

Here is a site that offers great info and pictures of different kinds of partial dentures.
http://www.doctorspiller.com/partial_dentures.htm

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven View Post
The dentist did mention a metal partial. Is that safe? Now Ive finally got rid of the mercury amalgam toxic root fillings Im worried about metal.
When you say metal, does that mean the fake gum bit will be metal or just the clasps?
Thanks in advance Bryanna.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial denture colour doesn't match my teeth :( EmmaH Dentistry & Dental Issues 5 04-13-2012 07:55 PM
Metal partial denture causing cankers... Rosie33 Dentistry & Dental Issues 0 07-13-2011 03:37 AM
Denture Cream Use and Neuropathy buckallred Peripheral Neuropathy 10 11-09-2010 11:50 AM
Denture Cream Use and Neuropathy buckallred Dentistry & Dental Issues 5 06-05-2009 05:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives