Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Dentistry & Dental Issues

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

Post extraction problem

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default Post extraction problem

My dentist extracted the root tips of #12 (that was all that was left after it fractured) and said I didn't need stitches. The night of the extraction I was in such pain, I couldn't put the ice up to my face because the boney area above the tooth extraction site hurt so bad. For the whole week following the extraction, not only did I have pain, but also the worst burning in my nose and throat. Every time I would use my tongue to close the whole, the burning in my nose would stop. The swelling subsided within 3-4 days but the pain didn't get better. I returned to the dentist 1 week later because it hurt so bad. The dentist on call told me the tooth was not healing and she believed I had a dry socket, but said was very odd, because upper teeth don't usually get dry sockets. She packed it with some white strips that hurt really bad, but fell out as soon as I got home because I didn't have stitches. I returned 2 days later and my regular dentist said he believed the problem was because I was allergic to most antibiotics and the erythromycin he put me on was not the first choice for dental procedures, but put me on another week of them. I finished the antibiotics 3 days ago, and now I have a red bubble over the extraction site. Its only sore when I prod at it with my tongue, but I do have a weird burning in my gums and cheek back by the joint, like they are raw.

I have an appointment next Monday to go back to the dentist. They said if it doesn't hurt really bad, they are not too concerned about it, but I am. I don't think it is normal to have a red bubble on an extraction site almost 3 weeks later. And also I still have some burning in my sinuses and if I poke hard enough with my tongue, the pain goes into my throat. I had #5 removed a few months ago with an abscess, and had no problems afterwards. I'm wondering if this is an infection and if so, why haven't the antibiotics helped? Hopefully I can get some answers, because this is really making me feel like I'm losing my mind. Thanks!
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,966
My Mood:
Default

Hi Jessi,

Not all extraction sites require sutures. It all depends on the difficulty of the extraction, the size and depth of the wound and the individual situation. If you develop a dry socket, the wound it packed with a piece of sterile gauze that is impregnated with a medication that smells like clove oil. Generally this dressing would be changed by the dentist once a day for 3-7 days depending on the individual circumstances and the wound would not be sutured closed.

Burning pain is not a typical post op symptom from a tooth extraction unless there is something else causing that pain. Erythromycin is sometimes prescribed for dental issues if the person is allergic to other antibiotics. But if the dentist suspects that the person is having a sensitivity to that medication, it is discontinued. Not sure why your dentist would extend the rx if he thought you were having a problem with it.

The red bubble over the extraction site could be a few different things. One being an allergic reaction to "something" especially since you are feeling a burning sensation elsewhere near that surgical site. But I am concerned that it might be associated with your sinuses. Did either dentist mention a sinus exposure or sinus perforation?? Do you have pressure or pain in your sinuses on that side of your face?

Have you been rinsing with anything other than salt water? That is the only thing you should rinse with as any mouthwash that contains alcohol or chemicals will burn the surgical area and slow the healing process.

I agree, you should be seen by your dentist sooner than next monday. Your symptoms are not typical, especially three weeks out.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Bryanna



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiangel View Post
My dentist extracted the root tips of #12 (that was all that was left after it fractured) and said I didn't need stitches. The night of the extraction I was in such pain, I couldn't put the ice up to my face because the boney area above the tooth extraction site hurt so bad. For the whole week following the extraction, not only did I have pain, but also the worst burning in my nose and throat. Every time I would use my tongue to close the whole, the burning in my nose would stop. The swelling subsided within 3-4 days but the pain didn't get better. I returned to the dentist 1 week later because it hurt so bad. The dentist on call told me the tooth was not healing and she believed I had a dry socket, but said was very odd, because upper teeth don't usually get dry sockets. She packed it with some white strips that hurt really bad, but fell out as soon as I got home because I didn't have stitches. I returned 2 days later and my regular dentist said he believed the problem was because I was allergic to most antibiotics and the erythromycin he put me on was not the first choice for dental procedures, but put me on another week of them. I finished the antibiotics 3 days ago, and now I have a red bubble over the extraction site. Its only sore when I prod at it with my tongue, but I do have a weird burning in my gums and cheek back by the joint, like they are raw.

I have an appointment next Monday to go back to the dentist. They said if it doesn't hurt really bad, they are not too concerned about it, but I am. I don't think it is normal to have a red bubble on an extraction site almost 3 weeks later. And also I still have some burning in my sinuses and if I poke hard enough with my tongue, the pain goes into my throat. I had #5 removed a few months ago with an abscess, and had no problems afterwards. I'm wondering if this is an infection and if so, why haven't the antibiotics helped? Hopefully I can get some answers, because this is really making me feel like I'm losing my mind. Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Thank you for responding so quickly Bryanna. I think I must have written too quickly and not explained myself. The doctor originally had me on Erythromycin due to allergies to Penicillin and Clindamycin. I haven't had any reaction to that. He extended the prescription becuase I was having some issues and he worried about infection starting. The gauze the on-call doctor put in the hole fell out as soon as I got home. I guess maybe there wasn't enough room for it. I went back 2 days later to see my regular dentist and he said he thought I was having problems because the antibiotic wasn't a "first line of defense" antibiotic line the other two, so it wouldn't work as well. He then told me he thought the worst was over, and I'd be fine. No one ever mentioned my sinuses. The only thing he said was that he had to cut a flap in the gum to find the root tips and that there wasn't enough gum left to stitch, which was his preference.

The bubble seems to have blended in a bit with the socket now, but is still pretty red (actually dark pink). I still have some burning, but it is more towards where the injection was if that makes sense. I have also had a weird taste in my mouth, like salt. But the burning in my sinuses is gone now at least. And it no longer hurts in my throat when I touch the area. That was awful. Now it only hurts when I push on it with my tongue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is finally beginning to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Jessi,

Not all extraction sites require sutures. It all depends on the difficulty of the extraction, the size and depth of the wound and the individual situation. If you develop a dry socket, the wound it packed with a piece of sterile gauze that is impregnated with a medication that smells like clove oil. Generally this dressing would be changed by the dentist once a day for 3-7 days depending on the individual circumstances and the wound would not be sutured closed.

Burning pain is not a typical post op symptom from a tooth extraction unless there is something else causing that pain. Erythromycin is sometimes prescribed for dental issues if the person is allergic to other antibiotics. But if the dentist suspects that the person is having a sensitivity to that medication, it is discontinued. Not sure why your dentist would extend the rx if he thought you were having a problem with it.

The red bubble over the extraction site could be a few different things. One being an allergic reaction to "something" especially since you are feeling a burning sensation elsewhere near that surgical site. But I am concerned that it might be associated with your sinuses. Did either dentist mention a sinus exposure or sinus perforation?? Do you have pressure or pain in your sinuses on that side of your face?

Have you been rinsing with anything other than salt water? That is the only thing you should rinse with as any mouthwash that contains alcohol or chemicals will burn the surgical area and slow the healing process.

I agree, you should be seen by your dentist sooner than next monday. Your symptoms are not typical, especially three weeks out.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Bryanna
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,966
My Mood:
Default

Hi Jess,

The salty taste may indicate a sinus perforation. Saliva is not usually salty, but sinus drainage can be. Hopefully if there is a perforation it is healing and your symptoms will continue to subside.

It is probably best not to push on the extraction site because that could break or disturb the seal of healing tissue that is lining the sinus membrane if there is a sinus perf.

Keep us posted on how things are going..
Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiangel View Post
Thank you for responding so quickly Bryanna. I think I must have written too quickly and not explained myself. The doctor originally had me on Erythromycin due to allergies to Penicillin and Clindamycin. I haven't had any reaction to that. He extended the prescription becuase I was having some issues and he worried about infection starting. The gauze the on-call doctor put in the hole fell out as soon as I got home. I guess maybe there wasn't enough room for it. I went back 2 days later to see my regular dentist and he said he thought I was having problems because the antibiotic wasn't a "first line of defense" antibiotic line the other two, so it wouldn't work as well. He then told me he thought the worst was over, and I'd be fine. No one ever mentioned my sinuses. The only thing he said was that he had to cut a flap in the gum to find the root tips and that there wasn't enough gum left to stitch, which was his preference.

The bubble seems to have blended in a bit with the socket now, but is still pretty red (actually dark pink). I still have some burning, but it is more towards where the injection was if that makes sense. I have also had a weird taste in my mouth, like salt. But the burning in my sinuses is gone now at least. And it no longer hurts in my throat when I touch the area. That was awful. Now it only hurts when I push on it with my tongue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is finally beginning to heal.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Well I went back to the dentist today. He said it looks like the socket is finally healing, but still had a little redness. He also said the gum is now attached to the bone. I have to go back again in 3 weeks because he said he believes there's some sinus communication. He said that it is uncommon because usually it is a back molar and mine is a premolar, but he thinks since I'm not tasting the salt anymore and my nose is no longer burning when I drink anything, that it might be healing on its own. He said if it is not completely healed in 3 weeks, he will send me to the oral surgeon. It actually doesn't hurt at all anymore, just a tiny bit tender if I chew on that side. I asked him if he thought I'd be ok now, and he wouldn't give me a solid answer, he just said to come back in 3 weeks and we'd see if it was healed. Also, I'm back to not being allowed to blow my nose, no straws, I have sinus medication to take, and no heavy sniffling. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will totally heal, because I leave in a week and a half for a vacation cross-country. We've decided to drive, just so I have no problems.
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (05-15-2012)
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Bryanna. I hope you will see this post. Its 6 weeks post extraction and everything seemed to be healing (finally) nicely. The socket actually looks fully healed now, and there's been no salty taste anymore. Then this afternoon, I ran my tongue along my gums and felt something. There's a pimple above the extraction site now. There's no pain, but definitely a pimple. The last time I had a pimple on my gum over a different tooth, it was an abscess. How can you get an abscess when there's nothing left there? And can you have an abscess without pain? I tried to call the doctor, but he's out until Tuesday (figures, everything happens on a 3 day weekend). I've had alot of white things popping out of the socket area, which I believe are bone fragments. Is it possible that a bone fragment can be working its way out of the side of the gum? I'm due to go back in 2 weeks for a check up and am supposed to leave in 6 days for a cross country vacation. Now I'm not sure what to do.
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,966
My Mood:
Default

Hi Jess,

Is it soft like a pimple, does it have a head on it? Or is it hard/pointy like a piece of bone? To answer your question..... yes you can have an infection even if a tooth is removed and not all infections cause pain at the onset.

It is not unusual to see some bony fragments come out or poke out of the gum after an extraction. They are similar to splinters. Perhaps that is what you are referring to when you say "white things popping out of the socket"?

If you think it's a pimple and/or get drainage from that area, then see the dentist on tuesday. If it's a bony fragment, it may be okay to leave it alone as it may fall out or heal over on it's own. If it were to become infected, then it would have to be removed.

Keep us posted.

Bryanna



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiangel View Post
Hi Bryanna. I hope you will see this post. Its 6 weeks post extraction and everything seemed to be healing (finally) nicely. The socket actually looks fully healed now, and there's been no salty taste anymore. Then this afternoon, I ran my tongue along my gums and felt something. There's a pimple above the extraction site now. There's no pain, but definitely a pimple. The last time I had a pimple on my gum over a different tooth, it was an abscess. How can you get an abscess when there's nothing left there? And can you have an abscess without pain? I tried to call the doctor, but he's out until Tuesday (figures, everything happens on a 3 day weekend). I've had alot of white things popping out of the socket area, which I believe are bone fragments. Is it possible that a bone fragment can be working its way out of the side of the gum? I'm due to go back in 2 weeks for a check up and am supposed to leave in 6 days for a cross country vacation. Now I'm not sure what to do.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Thank you so much for responding Bryanna. I'm about at my wits end with this. No it definitely has a head on it and looks like a pimple. I thought maybe it was like a gum boil because bone was stuck or something. So I'm assuming it is an abscess. I did what I probably shouldn't have done and looked it up on the internet. They talked about the abscesses going to the brain, mortality rates, etc. which have scared me something awful now. I did everything the doctor told me to do, to a T. I don't smoke, I didn't suck through a straw, I haven't blown my nose, even with my awful allergies. I do know when I was brushing my teeth this morning, I hit an area on the gum above the site, and it really hurt. But only the gum, the extraction site is fine. I can even eat on that side now. The tooth did not have an infection prior to extraction, so I don't understand why this is happening. I know when you get an abscess in tooth, you usually have to have it extracted or a root canal to get rid of infection, but with the tooth gone, what can cause infection? I guess I just don't understand 6 weeks later. I could see a week or so later, but this long, and its been feeling so much better now too, I was feeling so hopeful. Ugh!
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Bryanna
Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,966
My Mood:
Default

Hi Jess,

I'm not so sure it is an abscess. Could it be a canker sore?

Here's a link of what they look like.

http://www.primehealthchannel.com/wp...-Sore-Gums.jpg

Does it look like that?

Bryanna









Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiangel View Post
Thank you so much for responding Bryanna. I'm about at my wits end with this. No it definitely has a head on it and looks like a pimple. I thought maybe it was like a gum boil because bone was stuck or something. So I'm assuming it is an abscess. I did what I probably shouldn't have done and looked it up on the internet. They talked about the abscesses going to the brain, mortality rates, etc. which have scared me something awful now. I did everything the doctor told me to do, to a T. I don't smoke, I didn't suck through a straw, I haven't blown my nose, even with my awful allergies. I do know when I was brushing my teeth this morning, I hit an area on the gum above the site, and it really hurt. But only the gum, the extraction site is fine. I can even eat on that side now. The tooth did not have an infection prior to extraction, so I don't understand why this is happening. I know when you get an abscess in tooth, you usually have to have it extracted or a root canal to get rid of infection, but with the tooth gone, what can cause infection? I guess I just don't understand 6 weeks later. I could see a week or so later, but this long, and its been feeling so much better now too, I was feeling so hopeful. Ugh!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Jessiangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Bryanna. No, it looked like a pimple with a head on it. It burst during the night, and now there's some what stuff coming out of it that tastes awful. It looks like a little hole now on the side of the gum, and if I push on it, that's when I see the white stuff. Not alot, but a little. I called the dentist's emergency number 4 times and left messages over the past 24 hours, but he's not returning my call. The gum where it meets with the cheek has turned really red and is beginning to swell a little, but still only minor pressure, and no really pain. If it gets too bad, I may have to go to the ER. Of course this would happen on a holiday weekend. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I know I probably sound insane, but I'm just really aggravated over this still acting up this much later. I've also had a few nosebleeds this week on that side along with really bad congestion. I thought it was just allergies, but now I'm beginning to wonder if its not some weird infection.
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gum infection adjacent to socket post wisdom tooth extraction Bewarethegeek Dentistry & Dental Issues 3 04-16-2012 10:02 AM
Root ends in sinus--what kind of bridge post-extraction? flygirl7 Dentistry & Dental Issues 0 11-28-2011 08:30 PM
Does Socialism Breed Laziness? Spain and the Problem of Post-Vacation Syndrome (Topix NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 09-08-2008 02:00 PM
Terrorism Is A Social Problem, Not A Mental Health Or Criminal Problem (Topix) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 07-05-2008 03:51 AM
'Quick Post' Problem nide44 Computers and Technology 7 07-10-2007 09:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives