Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

Looking for TOS doc in Oregon

Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Question Looking for TOS doc in Oregon

Hi All,

I'm glad to find this community. I'm hoping you can help me to find a doctor in Oregon. I seen several doctors but no one can seem to agree on a diagnoses (CT, median nerve entrapment, cervical degeneration). I'm getting so discouraged. I'd like to be evaluated by a TOS specialist. None of the doctor lists include Dr.s in Oregon.

Also, I'm using Dragon Naturally Speaking version 8. I welcome input and advice from those of you who are experienced Dragon users.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Oregongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 64

Hi Oregon Girl,

I guess things are a bit slow here because of the holidays. I hope you don't feel neglected as that will not be the case.

If I were you, I would place some calls to several of the TOS Specialists listed and ask if THEY could recommend someone in your area. There are not a lot of TOS specialists, so it should be a 'small world' for them.

Try not to be discouraged, this is almost always a long road from symptoms to diagnosis.

Hope you can enjoy a peaceful holiday week and healthy new year.

Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Community Support Team
Jo*mar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW USA
Posts: 23,448
My Mood:

If you aren't too far from Newberg, OR this is the place I got some very good help from.

Possibly a Dr Mark Buhler in Portland - he was mentioned to me in 99 as a top ortho- he did agree back then that I had some sort of chronic RSI and should change jobs.
But wc dismissed his assessment and sent me to another dr
I did manage to recover after 9 months of light duty work.
but it all came back and more - so I think Buhler was correct - in hindsight of course.
But he never said anything about TOS and I may not have had it back then anyway.

he did repair my sons shattered wrist and was mentioned as the "guy" for that too.

Dr. Mark J. Buehler, MD, Hand Surgery Physician, Portland, OR
Dr. Mark J. Buehler, MD, Hand Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery Physician at 5050 Northeast Hoyt, Portland, OR, (Oregon), Free ratings and reports.
http://www.healthgrades.com/director...d-84c2ced2.cfm - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
Dr Mark Buehler Hand Surgeon Portland, OR
Free Doctor report on Dr Mark Buehler, Hand Surgeon of 5050 Ne Hoyt St Ste 660 Mark J Buehler Md, Portland Oregon (OR)
http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/dr...hler_Mark.html - 18k - Cached - Similar pages
Check the Helpful sticky threads near the top of every forum.
site FAQ's http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/faq.php
Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link - http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/search.php
NT Guidelines - Linked @ bottom of every page

Last edited by Jo*mar; 12-22-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4

You're probably correct that people are too busy preparing for the holidays to be on the forum. Still I'm glad you wrote, because it seemed like only the moderators were reading messages. Thanks for your suggestions!
Oregongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestions. I've had some good PT (helps but problems return). At this point, my focus is on getting an accurate diagnosis. Thanks at the suggestion on the Ortho. I'll check on him after the holidays. I'm a little confused about what type of Dr. I should be looking for. I don't have swelling or discoloration. I have more trouble with pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness in only certain positions. Can both orthos and neurologists do a good evaluation of the cause? Happy holidays.
Oregongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 64

Hi Again,

In my experience, the specialists I found most helpful were:

1. Thoracic Surgeon*****
2. Neurosurgeon
3. Ortho

Support Specialists (necessary)

1. Rheumatologist for accurate DX
2. Anesthesiologist for nerve blocks..part of DX.
3. Physiatrist (Pain Specialist) for ongoing treatment and DX.

It is best to use one physician for all RX and treatment after all other specialists have weighed in and done their 'thing'.

I went through about five Orthos...hand specialists, etc... before I was finally seen, (purely by chance), by a Scoliosis specialist (Ortho). HE Finally suggested TOS and referred me to a Thoracic Surgeon.

The Thoracic Surgeon worked with a 'team' of other specialists in the area, who as a whole, could provide the proper diagnosis and treatment.

If I had not been seen the specialist for my back (!), I don't know how long it would have taken. It was 10 months before I heard the term TOS. I believe that, because he was not focused on my hand (carpal tunnel, etc.), he was able to look outside the box and send me to the (wonderful)
Thoracic/Cardivascular Surgeon.

The Thoracic Surgeon had the facilities for the circulatory testing. The Rheumatologist ruled out other soft-tissue problems...such as MS. The Physiatrist was a specialist with EMG, SSEP type testing for neurological diagnosis. Also treated Depression, (a given), Fibromyalgia, and/or whatever else may apply to you, if anything.

Unless you have something like cervical ribs, expect to be sent to Physical Therapy, (which is apparently standard operating proceedure), when first daignosed. If PT is not helpful, you will likely be labeled as a 'Surgical Candidate'. WARNING: that ONLY means that PT was not the 'cure'. It does NOT mean that surgery is necessarily a good idea for you.

This is why it is imperative that you have honest surgeons who don't just operate on every patient who walk through the door.

Anyway, I am confident that you will find the 'right' specialist for you. I do believe that you will be able to locate them, either through referrals from the Specialists on our 'list', or through the Ortho suggested above.

Be sure to request X-rays of your cervical/thoracic area to rule out cervical ribs or other obvious cervical issues. Cervical testing with MRI, etc. is crucial as you may not have TOS at all.

Surgery to remove cervical ribs seems to result in the most successful resolution of TOS. Otherwise, the journey will be more involved, but manageable, truly.

Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Oregon coast cams Jo*mar Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 1 11-12-2007 04:38 PM
Hello From Oregon Julie K New Member Introductions 7 06-10-2007 06:27 PM
Western Oregon University Welcomes the Oregon Academy of Science DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 02-22-2007 08:40 PM
Oregon coast photos link Jo*mar Social Chat 3 12-04-2006 10:20 AM
Oregon school psychologist arrested for ID theft DocJohn Health News Headlines 0 11-21-2006 11:10 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives