Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health Conditions M - Z > Spinal Disorders & Back Pain

Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

MRI results

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Ladybass101
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Default MRI results

My doctor is pretty much telling there is nothing wrong with me and doesn't know why i'm in so much pain. can somebody please give me a little more info on my MRI because I don't believe him.

L1-2 There is disc space height narrowing with degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate left paramedian disc herniation. The central spinal canal and neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L2-3: the disk is unremarkable. The central spinal canal and the neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L3-4: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a mild, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. The central spinal canaal and the neuroforamina are adequately patent. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L4-5: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. rest is same as above
L5-S1: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. There are moderate posterior element degenerative changes.same as above

Except for L2-L3, all of the discs are degenerative and/or desiccated.
Ladybass101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Fancylady_2006
Grand Magnate
 
Fancylady_2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western IN
Posts: 3,728
My Mood:
Thumbs up Hi basslady~

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"]You have what is called Degenerative Disc Disease OR (DDD).Unless you have other symptoms they probably won't do anything. Yes, it is painful I have had 7 back surgeries and I still have it. Your disc's are drying out. Mine look like dried up spools. Not much you can do about that. Thats what desiccated means. I am sending a link you can look up and read. Be sure to read all of them it points to.[SIZE][FONT]
http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...ve-disc-diease In Search type in "Degenerative Disc Diease" & drop down to Lumbar Degenerative Diease. I think this will help you!
Fancylady
__________________
She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jo*mar (11-17-2008)
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team
 
Jo*mar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 20,229
My Mood:
Default

I'm thinking you need another drs opinion.
Take your report and films to have them looked at by another dr, as well as a list of your symptoms and pain levels.
Maybe your dr is not very familiar with new or current treatments.

my dad has a TENS for at home & PT sessions.
the PT place he goes to lets you join for use of gym & equipment after your rx'd sessions are done @$25 a month.
__________________
Check the Helpful sticky threads near the top of every forum.
site FAQ's http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/faq.php
Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link - http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/search.php
NT Guidelines http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1293

Find more about Weather in Manning, OR
Click for weather forecast
Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
jg884x
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: martinsburg, wv
Posts: 1
My Mood:
Default mri question

My girlfriend had an mri done on her spinal cord and her doctor told her that she had athritis, she is in studying medicine to become a nurse and she believes that this is the wrong diagnosis and her doctor is sending her for a second opinion day to a neuro sergeon. The doctor did tell her that there were black spots that showed up on her spine in the MRI and I believe that is why he is sending her to the neuro surgeon. Just wondering if there is anyone that has had this results and an answer for this. Any ideas are welcome. Please feel free to leave suggestions if there are any. Thanks guys.
jg884x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
pabb
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 774
Default

since all the foramen are "adequately patent" i would wonder if this pain is chemical in cuase and not mechanical......unfortunately i dont have any suggestions for the pain.....and i would get a second opinion
pabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
paindrw
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybass101 View Post
My doctor is pretty much telling there is nothing wrong with me and doesn't know why i'm in so much pain. can somebody please give me a little more info on my MRI because I don't believe him.

L1-2 There is disc space height narrowing with degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate left paramedian disc herniation. The central spinal canal and neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L2-3: the disk is unremarkable. The central spinal canal and the neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L3-4: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a mild, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. The central spinal canaal and the neuroforamina are adequately patent. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L4-5: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. rest is same as above
L5-S1: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. There are moderate posterior element degenerative changes.same as above

Except for L2-L3, all of the discs are degenerative and/or desiccated.
What your doc meant to say is that there is nothing profoundly unusual about your MRI findings. You can take a person with absolutely no pain whatsoever, and their MRI might show all kinds of findings including multiple disc bulges, foraminal stenosis, canal stenosis, etc. It's just the radiologist doing his job. I often see patients with an impressive finding at one nerve root but with symptoms in a totally different place. Pain is so complex, more often than not, we don't know why a patient has it. Pain management is a really imperfect field unfortunately. But I certainly wouldn't do an intervention based on this beautiful MRI.
paindrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
esraatay
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default

ok first of all this doctor does not know what he is talking about. I suggest you go and see a chiropractor as long as you do not have any broken discs they can help you. You have disc herniation and yes if one of your discs is narrowing that means there probably is a problem with your spine and it is painful. Did you also try changing your bed
esraatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindrw View Post
What your doc meant to say is that there is nothing profoundly unusual about your MRI findings. You can take a person with absolutely no pain whatsoever, and their MRI might show all kinds of findings including multiple disc bulges, foraminal stenosis, canal stenosis, etc. It's just the radiologist doing his job. I often see patients with an impressive finding at one nerve root but with symptoms in a totally different place. Pain is so complex, more often than not, we don't know why a patient has it. Pain management is a really imperfect field unfortunately. But I certainly wouldn't do an intervention based on this beautiful MRI.
Wouldn't consider an L5-S1 diagnostic facet or medial branch block if clinically indicated?
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Jo*mar
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team
 
Jo*mar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific NW USA
Posts: 20,229
My Mood:
Default

This is an fairly old thread - you may have not noticed the dates.

paindrw - Last Activity: 12-04-2008 02:40 PM
__________________
Check the Helpful sticky threads near the top of every forum.
site FAQ's http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/faq.php
Use the search tool to find information posted in other NT threads & posts
Search link - http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/search.php
NT Guidelines http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1293

Find more about Weather in Manning, OR
Click for weather forecast
Jo*mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Dubious
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 828
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
This is an fairly old thread - you may have not noticed the dates.

paindrw - Last Activity: 12-04-2008 02:40 PM
Details....!
Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRI results aalliep Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 3 07-25-2013 01:08 AM
The results are in.... Someone help! legzzalot Multiple Sclerosis 15 11-18-2008 02:24 AM
Help with MRI results - T10?? moose007 Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 1 07-15-2008 10:34 PM
Test results in - results given by phone lynxgal Peripheral Neuropathy 3 07-10-2008 05:49 PM
MRI results/help! Hilary Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 12 12-22-2006 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives