Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > Health & Related Topics > Medications & Treatments

Medications & Treatments For discussion about medications and treatments for any disease or health condition, including issues of medication toxicity.

Using Vyvanse with Lexapro or Zoloft

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Runner
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Default Using Vyvanse with Lexapro or Zoloft

My son (17 years old) was diagnosed with ADHD in the 3rd grade. He had the classic symptons - Can't stay focused in class, can't sit down, breaks pencils, etc. We tried numerous medications including Adderall, Straterra and Vyvanse. Nothing seemed to make a big difference except for the Vyvanse. Of course, we saw some improvement with most medications but nothing significant. Vyvanse seemed to have the best response with minimal side effects coming off the medicine at the end of the day.

Recently he was diagnosed with OCD after spending some time with a Psychologist and Psychriatist. He asked to see the doctors because he was experiencing anxiety attacks. Due to the ADHD, his mind would always race with numerous thoughts. Beginning this year his thoughts became a never-ending chain of random images that he could not control. At times it became more than he could handle and the anxiety attacks would occur.

The Psychriatist put him on Lexapro in conjunction with his existing Vyvanse prescription. He began experiencing severe mood swings. At times he became violent. We gradually took him off the Lexapro and started Zoloft this week. Tonight he had another severe reaction and he became near-suicidal. It's hard to saw if he would really harm himself, but I've never tonight's reaction before.

Clearly, something is wrong. Has anyone encountered similar reactions with Vyvanse and meds like Lexapro and Zoloft. There is nothing more depressing or hopeless than seeing your son crying to end it all because he can't take it anymore.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts...Thanks
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
brandtryan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 32
My Mood:
Default

I take Vyvanse and Lexapro. I've had no such effects--though I think those kinds of effects are more common in younger adults and children.

By the way--I've been doing some research lately in neurology--and have come across a book by a russian psychologist, called "The Mnemonist"--which describes a case in which his patient had a "infinite" memory. The person apparently used "images" in his head to accomplish this unbelievable feat. You mentioned your son's racing thoughts, amounting to a great number of "images" in his head. I'm not saying there is a connection--but thought I would bring it up! I wish you the best of luck--and, if I were you--would keep a good eye on him, and communicate frequently with your doctor regarding the meds.
brandtryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
gschiavo2010
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Default Lexapro and vyvanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
My son (17 years old) was diagnosed with ADHD in the 3rd grade. He had the classic symptons - Can't stay focused in class, can't sit down, breaks pencils, etc. We tried numerous medications including Adderall, Straterra and Vyvanse. Nothing seemed to make a big difference except for the Vyvanse. Of course, we saw some improvement with most medications but nothing significant. Vyvanse seemed to have the best response with minimal side effects coming off the medicine at the end of the day.

Recently he was diagnosed with OCD after spending some time with a Psychologist and Psychriatist. He asked to see the doctors because he was experiencing anxiety attacks. Due to the ADHD, his mind would always race with numerous thoughts. Beginning this year his thoughts became a never-ending chain of random images that he could not control. At times it became more than he could handle and the anxiety attacks would occur.

The Psychriatist put him on Lexapro in conjunction with his existing Vyvanse prescription. He began experiencing severe mood swings. At times he became violent. We gradually took him off the Lexapro and started Zoloft this week. Tonight he had another severe reaction and he became near-suicidal. It's hard to saw if he would really harm himself, but I've never tonight's reaction before.

Clearly, something is wrong. Has anyone encountered similar reactions with Vyvanse and meds like Lexapro and Zoloft. There is nothing more depressing or hopeless than seeing your son crying to end it all because he can't take it anymore.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts...Thanks
I feel your pain- what is the dosing that he was on- I have a 13 year old with the exact symptoms.
gschiavo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Mattsmom
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default Vyvanse and Zoloft

I have an 11 year old son that is ADHD. He has been on Vyvanse for almost a year. He was having outbursts - giant temper tantrums. He pulled out all of his eyelashes - and continues to pull his eyelashes out. Dr put him on Zoloft and increased the dose gradually. He was acting possessed. Mean, hateful, ran away from home, etc. I took him off of the Zoloft and would like to change his ADHD medicine. Has anyone experienced this?? Is it the Vyvanse that is making him pull his eyelashes?? Making him irritated?? The zoloft definetly did not help!
Mattsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Snoopy
Magnate
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsmom View Post
I have an 11 year old son that is ADHD. He has been on Vyvanse for almost a year. He was having outbursts - giant temper tantrums. He pulled out all of his eyelashes - and continues to pull his eyelashes out. Dr put him on Zoloft and increased the dose gradually. He was acting possessed. Mean, hateful, ran away from home, etc. I took him off of the Zoloft and would like to change his ADHD medicine. Has anyone experienced this?? Is it the Vyvanse that is making him pull his eyelashes?? Making him irritated?? The zoloft definetly did not help!
Mattsmom,

If your son's behaviour started after taking Vyvanse then that would be my guess as to the problem. The ADD meds can cause behavioural changes, such as being violent, suicidal, irritable and angry. Anti-depressants can cause suicidal thoughts and even trigger depression.

Everyone, even children react differently to meds.

I have not heard of pulling out eyelashes as a side effect from either types of medication but I am also not a doctor.

I am hoping your son is seeing a Psychiatrist who has evaluated him. If so, sometimes it is trial and error to find the right med or combination of meds. If your son is not seeing a Psychiatrist then that would be my suggestion.

Here is some information about Vyvanse:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a607047.html
__________________
- Dx RRMS 1985
- 5/09/2013: Secondary Progressive WITHOUT progression
- Never used DMDs. Low EDSS.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Johnfloyd6675
Junior Member
 
Johnfloyd6675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default

I would caution that the combination of an SSRI and an amphetamine can rev you up pretty well. If there's a family history of manic depression or schizophrenia, you might want to think about adding on a mood stabilizer. A 17-year-old with undiagnosed bipolar disorder (which often looks like ADD in childhood and adolescence, and is misdiagnosed as such) put on antidepressants and uppers would go through the roof and off the handle so fast you wouldnt believe it.

Of course, Zoloft and Vyvanse together is a common combo, I was on it last year, and as speaking from personal experience about the importance of the mood stabilizer if your son starts acting out while on his meds.
Johnfloyd6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Johnfloyd6675
Junior Member
 
Johnfloyd6675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Default

In fact, considering your son's mood swings and affective disregulation, I think it'd be wise to look at adding a mood stabilizer- something like Depakote- or a mild antipsychotic like Abilify, to control the mood disruption (trust me, for this kid on those drugs, there will be mood disruption) and conceivable hypomania/mania resulting from the combined impact of two powerful pick-me-up drugs (sertraline and amphetamine).
Johnfloyd6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
jammers34
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschiavo2010 View Post
I feel your pain- what is the dosing that he was on- I have a 13 year old with the exact symptoms.
I had my son on Vyvanse and the doctor refused to talk him off of it even after he started with these crazy mood swings everyday with out fail around 4pm. He would scream at the top of his lungs and anything would set him off. I finally said "BS" doctor and I took him off. The doctor he was seeing had him in a study and I started to think we were a beta project for the pharmacy and not really getting treated. He was very emotional and uncontrolable anger. I seriously do not think that this drug was tested enough before they started dishing it out and predict it will be on the recall list one day.

My partner is taking it now and we are already experiencing the nasty mood swings again. I told him to get something different or we will not be together anymore. Very volital mood swings with very angry uncontrolable temper. I worry about him having a cardiac event if this keeps up.

2 thumbs down with this drug!
jammers34 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
NermsMom
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default

My ten-year-old son was diagnosed with ADD and started on Vyvanse 30 mg in November 2010. He was titrated up to 50 mg the end of March as it seemed like the 30 mg dose was no longer working. He had severe moods swings almost immediately, irritability, and depression. His doctor switched him to Strattera, which made him DEATHLY ill no matter what time of day he took or or whether or not he took it with food. I stopped it after a few days. The doc now put him back on Vyvanse 30 mg and said to watch for depression and irritability again. If I sense depression then I'm to start him on Zoloft. If this doesn't work, Doc wants to switch him altogether to Concerta. I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of medication, so the decision to medicate my ten-year-old at all was HUGE. I'd like to know if anyone has had the same issues with Vyvanse, and/or have also used Zoloft with it. And I'd love to hear your opinons on switching to Concerta. He does get horrible migraine headaches (hereditary) which he had even before we started the Vyvanse. Any stimulant will make the headaches worse, so he is also being treated with Topomax to try to control the migraines.
NermsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)
Unread 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Mom #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default Vyvance Zoloft combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by NermsMom View Post
My ten-year-old son was diagnosed with ADD and started on Vyvanse 30 mg in November 2010. He was titrated up to 50 mg the end of March as it seemed like the 30 mg dose was no longer working. He had severe moods swings almost immediately, irritability, and depression. His doctor switched him to Strattera, which made him DEATHLY ill no matter what time of day he took or or whether or not he took it with food. I stopped it after a few days. The doc now put him back on Vyvanse 30 mg and said to watch for depression and irritability again. If I sense depression then I'm to start him on Zoloft. If this doesn't work, Doc wants to switch him altogether to Concerta. I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of medication, so the decision to medicate my ten-year-old at all was HUGE. I'd like to know if anyone has had the same issues with Vyvanse, and/or have also used Zoloft with it. And I'd love to hear your opinons on switching to Concerta. He does get horrible migraine headaches (hereditary) which he had even before we started the Vyvanse. Any stimulant will make the headaches worse, so he is also being treated with Topomax to try to control the migraines.
To all who have written on this topic......THANK YOU!!!! My 11 yr old son has been on Vyvance since Mid Feb 1st 20 mg then 30 now 40 at first we thought this was great we saw grades improve and a calm relaxed boy after about a month he was having severe anxiety so the Dr. put him on Zoloft 25 mg this was approx a month ago. For the past several weeks my son has been tormented with racing uncontrolable thoughts and images in his head that were making him terriblibly sick and guilt ridden we were thinking there were severe mental conditions developing. We removed the Zoloft thinking that was it. It continued same time every night for a couple of hours PURE TORTURE for our family and our son. Our worst nightmare seeing our beautiful boy go thru this horrible episode. It was the toughest decision to put him on medication in the first place, however this has been the worst experience of my life and I am sure it has been for my son. We were ready to take him to the ER then I saw these posts THANK YOU, we are not alone I will be taking him off the Vyvance as well although after speaking with the pharm they say this may send him into a major downward spiral I don't know how it could be any worse.........if anyone has any advise or can tell me what to expect and how long it will last I would truely appreciate it. GOD BLESS! THESE MEDS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!
Mom #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vyvanse, new symptoms? brink Medications & Treatments 9 05-24-2009 11:58 PM
Zoloft, Lexapro the Best of Newer Antidepressants (HealthDay) (Yahoo) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 01-29-2009 11:30 PM
Lexapro and Zoloft Top Treatments for Depression NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 01-29-2009 05:40 PM
Zoloft, Lexapro the Best of Newer Antidepressants (HealthDay) (Yahoo) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 01-29-2009 11:20 AM
Zoloft, Lexapro best new antidepressants: study (Reuters) (Yahoo) NewsBot Health News Headlines 0 01-28-2009 11:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy
NeuroTalk Archives